flickr is limiting free photostream to 1000 images

Anything set to “Creative Common” don’t count. So, this could means you still can use unlimited Flickr quota as long as you don’t mind publicly share your images. I read this somewhere when they announced the end of free unlimited Flickr use. But now it’s well hid somewhere in the “term of use” content.

- Clemence

Odd, I keep seeing people saying about being charged for photobucket, even for 1 image, yet they have never charged me anything (they try to each time I log in) but I never pay, and still use those photo’s on here? Perhaps there is a limit, I don’t know but what I do know is they gave me an extra free amount of space the other day, I can’t remember how much.

Thanks Michiel, I had not found that yet. I just checked it on the computer and huge thumbnail makes a picture about 1000 pixels wide which is about what I’m used to for many pics in my posts. I still have to find the option on the Imgur app.

Perhaps photobucket and flickr made a lot of noise to make enough people pay for their services, and then leave the small hobby-users who can not afford it at peace without officially telling that anyone. Let’s hope so.

I did log into Photobucket just to see (that site is so slowwwwww) it says -
‘Free Account: Each free account provides 2 GB of storage or space available for your Content. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If you are interested in image linking and/or 3rd party image hosting, you will need to subscribe to one of our Paid Accounts. Free account Members can upgrade to a Paid Account at any time.’
It says it doesn’t allow linking ( I presume this means putting a photo say on here and linking to it/using it) but obviously it does allow it, because I do it lol! Providing of course I’m understanding that ‘linking’ correctly!
Sadly with the amount you have djozz it wouldn’t be good for storing ALL your pics, but you could use it for a few, around 250 it says.
I do wonder how long it will be until Google follows suit…. for years I have been advising family/friends to keep photo’s in online storage as they’ll be safer than on a hdd or stick/dvd but of course photo hosting companies proved to be a bit sneaky - let you upload all your photo’s for years, then say, well actually you are now going to have to pay or lose them. Fair enough for new users I feel, but not for old ones who already have stuff saved there.

It was fairly easy to request a complete data-download from flickr, so I have now all my images (I would not know where all the originals were) backed up on my computer at home and on a USB-stick. The problem is how many of the hotlinks from BLF will be working in the future. I still have some hope that flickr will just leave the pics where they are, it is only 2Gb total, it is not that they need the disc space, they need me as a paying client. And it is clear now for them that I will not be one.

You just have to add a letter to the end of the URL.

Thanks, I have the memory of a goldfish :confounded:

haha no prob :stuck_out_tongue:

For PhotoBucket, it wasn’t the storage space that you were going to be paying for, it was the ability to link your photos hosted on their site, to 3rd party sites, like BLF. My pictures are still over on PB and I’ve not been asked to pay a dime.

There’s even an add-on in Google Chrome, that ‘has’ allowed pictures to be linked to/posted in 3rd party sites, without subscription, so I don’t know what’s up with that?

Test pic from PB:

Chris

The photobucket watermark is not exactly subtle but I can see the pic.

I don’t see a watermark on my end and just went a re-logged into PB, having to submit an ‘email confirmation’ and it looks like it did before the subscription terms went into place, so I don’t know?

Anyhow, I’m on Flickr with only 200 pics, so I don’t anticipate problems for me, in the near future.

Good luck, Chris

Yeah it’s got a watermark.

Thanks.

Why bother then?

Chris

ouch, they have you trapped

I had more than 1000, I deleted the excess

I miss some of the pics in threads I started, but, I dont think anybody really cares
I do from time to find, reclaim a photo that google can still find, because the google image search uses google archived images, that I deleted from flickr

I hope you find a happy solution

I migrated to imgur, previously I was on photobucket, and seeing how they tried to make me pay for images, Im not suprised when flickr did the same…

how important are my images, really? well… maybe less than I would like to believe…

Ive made many, what I thought were, brilliant posts, illustrated with what I thought were very informative images, but, at the end of the day, people dont read, they just ask the same old questions over again…

so for me at least, my posts are just my way of learning about things Im interested in… I dont think other people find me as interesting as I do… LOL

I can’t see watermarks on mine either - would someone be so kind as to check this thread HERE and see if they have watermarks, because they are hosted on photobucket!

^ no watermarks over there, you’re fine :slight_smile:

No watermarks :slight_smile:

Thanks guys, how weird! maybe it which link you choose to put in as it offers a few, as in direct/image etc. I THINK I use direct.
OK, so having said that I thought I’d do a little experiment to see! 4 (hopefully) photo’s will show here - I’ll do the links as they are in order on the site - lets see if we get watermarks.
There are pics under all 4 numbers, wether you see them or not is a different matter, all are at 30%

1. email/im

2. Direct

3.HTML
!!
4.IMG

There that’s all 4, the HTML one always seems to work, be bigger and have a bit of code tagged to the end - but I can’t see watermarks on any, just the last not working one, and the first one that doesn’t display anything.
Why this is doing this to some users and not others is very strange!

Djozz and Jon_Slider:
We will miss you guys pictures. There were many important and interesting images posted here in BLF. I learnt that by simply changing the images license to “creative common” will prevent Flickr < 1000pics deletion. But this will no solve the problem…. because every time we change the image license (upgrade/downgrade), the hot link will also change. This happened to me last year. :weary: :weary:

- Clemence