flickr is limiting free photostream to 1000 images

Looks like it :+1: :person_facepalming:

I dont understand why many people dont go simple with free web hosting
use your domain you can move in worst case to another webhosting and nothing changes

When you move domains, all the image URLs will change, which means all the images you posted in the past will no longer show in your old posts unless you manually edit every single one of your posts, and most forums don’t even allow to edit your old posts.

It is because I need the functionality of a dedicated image-hosting site, specific: a scrollable picture gallery and listing of hotlinks voor different resolutions of your pics. Without that functionality, posting pics on BLF is too much trouble to do, i.e. a build thread with 20 pictures will become a major undertaking.

I think for BLF usage Tinypic is good enough.
Maximum size is 1600 × 1600 pixels, i think it’s jpeg only.
You can make folders there too and search through the thumbnails.
But it’s a Botophucket company, so who knows if it will last as it is now…

I don’t get the difference between files hosted at Flickr vs google driving them and posting a shareable link…?

I am missing something obvious, what is the prime benefit to hosting services?

I posted exactly that 2 posts above yours.

First: a visible picture gallery (thumbnails) makes selecting pictures convenient. But I can imagine that google drive does show thumbnails? (I do not use Drive).

Second and very important: I never post full resolution pictures on BLF (full res slows down loading the page, everyone suffers from that but it makes it impossible for people with slow internet), and per picture I decide what resolution I need. Flickr has the option build-in for hotlinks for all possible sizes. It is a functionality that by my knowledge is not available at normal file-hosting services, there you need either resize your pics manually (just too much trouble if you plan on a simple BLF post with a few pics), or for your own convenience you decide to stick to full resolution, troubling your fellow BLF members.

So first and foremost , thumbnails?
That and remote access speeds up page loads on BLF…?

My google drive flashlight folder

only one ZL pic

The second link only allows pic with that link to see Only the one ZL pic… So I am led to believe…?

That and one-button resized hotlink option.

You are wrong, when I move webhosting I keep my domains, so I can move as I like

I am using my own webhosting domain and upload there pictures I am specially export in Adobe Lightroom in a proper size and quality for the internet
Using Image hosting just to be able to resize pictures is not really a good way to prep pictures for internet,

Pictures:
first crop pictures to what needs to be seen so cut things away that are not needed, orient horizon, maybe geometrical correction,
then improving exposure: like shadows and lightning improvement needed after I pull the raw picture format ftrom my camera

I have more control over image quality using my Lightroom program for it during export the processed pictures, I can also export full size and another set of smaller size with a suffix, so I got different sizes
then go into BLF and simply link image with 50% or 80% size option

I have done so far all my topics and posts with single size export file resized to 1600 long side with proper lightroom settings to get still a really good quality with decent size

I’m afraid that I’m not living via my computer, it is a Mac and an ancient one. What I most often do is take a picture with my phone, crop and improve with Photoshop Express app (it does not have resize options), upload via flickr-app, and write the post on BLF on my tablet.

I know that I’m not digital enough to be allowed on the internet, but thusfar I got away with that.

seems you got to pay them or get a resizing app

That, and to avoid 75% of my posts in the last 7 years getting robbed off the pictures.

Another forum I frequent has new users that try to use google links to images, but few people are able to see them.The pop-up blocker probably sees it as a redirect and therefore disables it.
I have a google drive so when I click your link for the Zebralights it opens a separate app and then I can see the photo. Looks great in original resolution, but took 5 seconds to load. This is a long time in 2019. What we want is the image itself in the thread therefore hotlinking has been preferred. I do almost everything on my phone using Flickr (previously Photobucket) like many here. Setting up a domain and web hosting is not realistic for many casual users. I am just going to hop from one free photo hosting service to another.

My bad. I must have misunderstood the concept, initially.

+1 to all the above. That is how I process all my photos, but I still like using Flickr for hosting. Thankfully, I don’t post that many pics, so I still have some buffer before I reach the 1,000 image limit.

You might be aware of this already, but Imgur allows you to upload the full res picture and hotlink a lower resolution (and more compressed) file by just adding a certain letter to the end of the URL

I may just move to imgur. I spent some time finding out about local file hosting, hosting via my internet provider, and other payed image hosting sites (they are usually more expensive than flickr) and there seems no nice solution that is affordable. I think actually that there is a niche for an image hosting site that is not free but asks 20 dollar/yr for storing say up to 100Gb and simple but clever functionality for 3rd-party hosting with 10yr stability promise.

A different (much larger) forum I’m on uses Invision and they have built in image hosting, but that requires a powerful infrastructure and also costs money every 6 months.

I had the same problem too Djozz. Since I already stored more than 1500 pics (most are important collections), I had no choice but to buy the plan. So far, I have to admit I’m very satisfied with Flickr and still haven’t found better replacement. So, I give them credit by contributing. Used the FLICKR15 to get 15% off.

- Clemence

I understand, it also helps your business I guess.

In the meantime I use Imgur, but Imgur does not provide hotlinks for smaller sizes, you have to do that yourself before uploading.

Btw, it is past jan8th and yesterday I could still upload a pic to flickr. So the enforcement of their new rules is not 100% strict thusfar.