Focusing the Courui D01, XPL, XPL HI, XP-G2, + KD 86mm reflector, results graphed.

The step (reflector base thickness at LED opening) is 0.025"

FmC, thanks for doing this, seriously. Did you see any noticeable change in the beam shape while in the range shown on your chart?

The hot-spot was more defined when close to the optimal focus, but it was only really noticeable compared to when the reflector was significantly too high.

I'll add to the OP with some more data maybe this weekend. I have an XP-G2 S4 that I will put into my D01, in place of the old XP-G2 R5, & see what it can put out with some focus tuning.

Great results! So the throw actually improves when you raise reflector by 0,5mm vs reflector sitting right on the star right?
Could you do the same experiment with a KD 88mm reflector and a xp-g2?

Yes, & yes :)

Hopefully this coming weekend I will have chance to swap in the XP-G2 S4.

Very interesting results :slight_smile:

Looking forward to hearing what the big reflector will do with the S4. It should also give an interesting hint on what to expect from the Palight BOSS1

I wonder though, why didn’t you dedome the XP-L V5 2A? That tint dedomed should be one of the best NW tints after a dedome there is. Those who have tried it says it is very “3D”

The torch was not for me, it was a Xmas present for a friend's son. The friend has a domed version, which his son likes, so he wanted it "the same".

Updated the OP with results for the XP-G2 S4 2B, & also with the KD 68mm reflector.

Wow, big #’s there. What was the beam pattern like with the KD and xpg ?

I second that Wow :slight_smile: very good numbers. And now i am REALLY sorry i missed that crazy cheap flash sale gearbest had on the D01 a while ago.

I had no idea the D01 was a potential 440kcd thrower with the S4 :slight_smile:

I wonder what cells you are using and, could you take another reading with fresh cells?
If you got 804kcd from cells at 4.11v you should get a nice boost on top of that with cells fresh of the charger, because those amps really drop like a stone with the high Vf of the high flux bin of the S4 :wink:

It's a very tight beam - the hot spot @ 10m was around 15cm.

I was using Samsung 25R's for the tests, but I have some new 30Q's, so I'll see what kind of number they will produce.

Peak turn-on would have been a little higher, but it takes time for me to walk to the opposite end of my shed & start hunting around with the meter. I have a 2min step-down on the light, & a few times in the tests the light stepped down whilst I was still hunting for the best reading, so they are honest numbers, not just seconds from turn-on.

where did you buy that 0.0295” spacer for the KD reflector? And what centering ring did you have to make and how?

The shims were cut out from various sheets/ thickness of plastic. The centering ring is a xm - XP adapter, with a washer of the right dimensions placed over it to suit the I.d. of the KD reflector.

The centering ring/washer is super- glued to the Noctigon to prevent falling in to the reflector.

If you look in my build thread for the D01 w/KD reflector, you will see pictures of the centering setup.

by the way, what readings could be possible with 4,35v cells? And what lens did you use with the KD reflector? the same cheap camera filter from your build or something else?

A high drain 4.2v cell like the Samsung 25R, 30Q or the strongest of them all the Sony VTC5A, has a lower volt sag under load when you direct drive a high flux bin Cree XP-G2/XM-L2 class LED.

So for max amp and max throw 4.35v cell does not have any advantage. They do have a nice and flat discharge curve for lower amps application though, but for max output builds they are not the best choice.

Bravo for this measurements, just what I wanted to know. :slight_smile:

Yes, the lens is just a cheap "UV filter".

I just tried out the 30Q's, & they were a little better, @ 814KLux. Cell voltage after testing was 4.16v.

To shine it around, it looks like a light sabre, that just keeps on going.... :D

So 814k Lux… or Candela? I’ll have to do the math if it’s actually Lux.

could you please measure the output without this UV filter ? Basically without any lens at all? I want to know whether it is worth the effort to buy a quality lens with AR coating or not.

I was measuring @ 10 meters, which is about what you want for a thrower, & it also makes the calculation easier. 814,000 Lux, which calculates out to 1804 meters throw @ 0.25 Lux.

I should be able to remove the lens, & have the ring hold the reflector in place.

I wanted to test the 25r's again fully charged, so I may do that tonight.