Found my old Maglite, is it worth keeping?

My friend gave this to me about 12-15 years ago, shortly after he passed away. Before that it used to belong to a police officer that his sister was dating.

I don’t remember but I think it is 4D, I tried to measure it but then I discovered my $0.04 including delivery tape measure isnt so accurate (11 inches isnt 38cm). I was going to ask if anyone can tell what size it is but I don’t know if the inches or cms or both are wrong.

Also the switch appears to work but its twisted to the side somehow and I cant seem to get the head off to inspect it, does it just screw off? I gave it a pretty good try but it wont budge.

I don’t use D cells so if I was to keep it I would have to use AAs, and the output and run time was pretty pathetic from memory.

Is there any cheap 4AA to D converters? If not I could use the 2AA to D ones.
And is there any cheap drop in from China/Hong Kong thats going to give me 400-500 lumens or more without any modifications?

I’m willing to spend about $20 on it but if its not worth it I’ll either give it away or throw it out.

D4 = 4D iirc.

All the ones I have had just unscrew quite easily.

I’m sure one of our resident Mag mod gurus can shed some light on your problem mate

Don’t throw it away! I’m sure someone down under would like to do a mod on it if that isn’t your cup of tea. Pretty sure you can do a 1D/3AAalky/4AAnimh conversion. Plenty if that’s been done.

Keep it!
Take off the black ano, and polish it up!
Buy a cheap drop in and keep it as a backup!

You can always buy the Fusion drop in, which is $25
Gives about 400lumens

My brother just gave me two of the old 2xAA mag bodies, no internals at all. Any good drop in type solutions for these smaller models I should look out for?

yes, take a look at the match-mod®: Match's Mods: 15min mini mag mod

Looks like it’s at least 5D. Maybe wrong though.

MALKOFF has a drop-in XM-L for this light. And there are 3 x AA to 4D holders. You could use 2 like that and dummy the remaining cells for less wait. With Eneloops, you’d have a killer club-light!

Oh yes… I like where this is heading :bigsmile:

Oh. Just realized I am wrong. Guess I forgot how big D lights can be.

As a recipient of ezarcs past giveaways he has suggested to me that he will keep the light. Can people link to suitable cheap mods for this light to help him out. Thanks guys and girls. Edit. I have got this wrong. Ignore it. sorry.

Maglite mods, for the most part, are not cheap. There's a lot to do, to make a bright light.

That said, the newest budget mod is the $2.24 Triple Emitter Mag Mod. Done by dchomak. If you went with the 9watt bulb, it would be a little higher, but still less than @20 and maybe less than $10, depending on the source. Search for MR16 bulb on ebay, or Chinese vendors.

As far as AA to D holders, I think DX, Tmart, KD (most Chinese vendors) and ebay offer those. Do some simple searching for AA to D battery holder.

Did you ever decide if it is 4D or 5D. Did you ever get it open? You might need to put the body (right where the switch is), into a leather padded vise and use a pipe wrench (padded with leather), to get the head off. Most likely corrosion may have ruined the inside of the light and it may be just a throw away.

The Fusion36 on EBay was around $25 and gives 500-800 lumens depending on the number of batteries. 2D 500 lumens, 6D 800 lumens afaik