✌ FREEME - ASTROLUX MF01S 15000lm Flashlight Group Buy - ENDED

Man, 5000K is too yellow and 6500K is too blue. Maybe they need to offer a 5700K?

5000K usually show no yellow at all. With a 5A or 5D tint, I never see any yellow. I read the SST-20 is far above the BBL. I’ve seen a few 5000K that has yellow tint and it is due to positive DUV along with tint shift at the corona.

Would be nice if Lumintop can find some 5000K SST-20 with negative DUV. I will definitely add it to my collection.

I’m not sure how to confirm if the 6500k is using SST-20’s.

Newb question. Is there a way to identify which led my flashlight has by looking at them?

It sure isn’t an XP-G3. Thanks

Usually. It’s easier if your trying to decide between 2 models, like a Cree XP-G3 or a Luminus SST-20.

Here is an SST-20.

Here is an XP-G3.

If you have no idea what it is, then it’s tougher. Most folks here can identify the more common leds by sight, but if it’s odd or really old it can be quite dificult. Here is a reference guide.

Post a picture if you have one along with all the info you have such as the model of flashlight and how old it is.

If you mean identify the tint, then no. It’s a lot more complicated. Warmer tints tend to have a darker yellow or orange looking die while cooler tints have a lighter yellow die. It helps to shine it on a white wall. To know exactly the tint requires a special device that can sample the light output and analyze it.

Anyone know how they managed to get the MF01S to throw so far and bright considering the reflector size is so small? I always thought a large reflector was needed to throw like that. I'm sure I was not the only one blown away at how far this light can throw and with such intensity.

This light doesn’t use a reflector, it uses a TIR lens. The SST-20 happens to be a pretty small size die so it produces a fairly narrow beam.

It’s also not as bright as it could be. The small LED only puts out around 830 lumens each for a total of 15,000. It could be noticeably brighter with the same heat and current draw if it were using a bigger LED like an xpl (about 30% more efficient). The downside is the xpl is more expensive and it wouldn’t throw as far.

It’s just the effect of cumulative light. Also 100k isn’t that much in the grand scheme of things.

So that's how it works! I thought there was a little reflector housing behind that lens. I think the beauty of this light is that it throws so far for it's size with such a massive hot spot.

I’m actually starting to feel glad that I received the 5000K instead of the 4000K that I ordered. Really pleasant tint, so that colour temperature is probably going to be my go-to choice for future purchases, and I’m not getting a green shift at lower levels like with the D4v2. I’m even happy that they sent me a black light instead of purple, considering that the colour anos don’t seem to be the kind of quality that people were expecting. If I have the necessary funds next week, I’ll probably buy another (plain black) one.

I got my MF01S 5000K and I must say that it is definitely brighter than my D18 5000K by some + 25% brighter

I’m thankful this hasn’t been the case for all of the Blue ones. Mine is colored evenly.

I sold mine yesterday and ordered another blue with the hope I may get lucky this time. Instead of 4000K I decided to try there bluish 6500K since some have said the 5000K is still quite yellow. My q8 XPL Hi 5000K is beautiful but from I read, whatever bin mateminco is using, the sst-20 5000k could be really yellowish still.

Yellow light doesn’t always mean quality light, even if it’s got high CRI. If everything is turned pee yellow and dim it can be less useful than a 4500-5500k NW.

I use to think I wanted yellow high CRI. But after using several 3000-4000k lights it became distasteful. I’ve shifted my preference to 5000k NW and like it much better. Honestly, this could be attributed to some deteriorating vision and a near Retinal detachment. Either way, the vaunted yellow high CRI is not the holy grail for everyone.

Both of the lights I received are labeled 5000k, but both of them are “yellowish”. Clearly not the yellow of 4000k. But not the Neutral White of my other 5000k lights. It’s definitely noticeable.

Just my personal opinion, but I think Astrolux/Mateminco shoud dump the sst-20 leds all together and get something more consistent.

Are you talking about lumens or intensity? The MF01S has a tighter beam pattern which can make it look brighter even if the lumens are about the same. Just something to keep in mind.

I’m talking about lumens. ceiling reflection test

Can I get a coupon?