Frustrated with UV lights, need help

Ordered the drop in, to see how it compares to what I have now, and vs 445.

The problem with LED UVs is that they arent very efficient. The 5mm ones (that look like shower heads) are only maybe 50 milliwatts. Even the really good CREE ones that arent made anymore are only 1 or 3 Watts.
Even then, their spectrum output isn’t generally all that great.

Instead, consider a tube light. They arent as sexy as a directional LED, but for like 12 bucks I bought a 8 Watt UV light and it works very well. Not as directional as a LED, but it has wayyy more power.
Also, flourescent ones naturally have a very good spectrum distribution.

Here are some examples:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UV-Urine-Detector-Black-Light-Money-Pet-Dog-Cat-Fluorescent-Ultraviolet-LH-/300775663536?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4607a067b0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zelco-Pocket-Fluorescent-Lantern-w-Ultra-Violet-UV-Tube-Black-Light-CSI-LOOK-/230909554910?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item35c34830de

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Violet-Fluorescent-Black-Light-Flashlight-Detect-Authentic-WWII-Patch-/380560923280?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589b32da90

Make darned sure to NOT get the short wave ones (240nm) as they will damage your eyes!!
My tube light works very well to find Cat Urine, even in the daytime with lights on. Of course, the darker it is, the better off you are and further away you can be.

You could even get a Compact Flourescent bulb, thought powering it would be problematic.

Anyone tried this UV drop in from Solarforce?

- Provide 230 Lumens Max output

- Wavelength: 380 - 450nm

I stopped by a sporting goods store and bought yellow and orange shooters glasses. The yellow ones work best (with the 395 nm drop in).

Are the glasses necessary?
Wanted ever a csi like flashlight, but I have no ambition in buying half a dozen just for finding out which is the best.

I have no pets so I have too pee on the carpet myself…

If I have understand you right this one is working and cheap:
http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/taiwan-3w-380nm-uv-flashlight-dropin-module-42v-max-p-5697
Right?

Since the emitters are too weak at the UV range and spill a lot of light in the visible range, it is almost crucial to have the yellow glasses in order to see the fluorescence through the purple light.

They make a huge difference.
See it here: Why you want to use UV blocking glasses when using UV lights , through the camera.

They also make it much easier on the eyes if there’s any reflection of the flashlight output.

Having the glasses does make a radical difference; you will be able to see a lot of fluorescence that gets washed out by the visible light. Haggai's pics do a good job of demonstrating the difference. Plus, the UV filtering on the lens makes using the light for extended periods less straining on your eyes.

LOL! Now THERE’S a dedicated flashaholic! LOL :wink:

It all depends upon what you are looking for/at. If you are looking for wang juice then the 395 nm dropin did a much better job.

Please excuse my noobishness if everyone knows the following already…

The Cobb flashlight body was originally sold as a Raidfire Spear. The clones are now known as a Brinyte C9 (eBay, Shenzen Wholesalers) or a Yezl Y2 or a Piritlight SG, or on KD as an RQ clone.

This host has a screw-in light engine/pill that is not a standard size. No UV replacements appear commercially available; Cobb may be having these built.

Cobb initially tried to use a Luminus LED, but had to abandon it due to high cost. Believe they ended up using a 5W LEDengin emitter centering on 365 nm, like these at Mouser.

With few exceptions, UV emitters begin to shift spectrum almost immediately due to trapped heat.

The heat-sinking on the Cobb flashlight is pretty good, largely due to the screw-in light engine and the vented head. If you own this light, you might want to add some arctic silver thermal compound, to extend lifespan of the emitter.

To replicate the Cobb light exactly, you’d need to buy the host flashlight and re-fit it with a UV 365 nm LED, and appropriate driver.

To functionally replicate this light exactly, for half the cost, you’d buy an EagleTac T20C2 and the EagleTac 365-370 UV drop-in. The ET UV insert uses the same LED as the Cobb light in a very-well built package and should perform almost identically.

To functionally replicate the Cobb light DIY, the easiest path seems to be a P60 host and 365 nm UV drop-in. 365 nm drop-ins are kind of rare. (The grail is an out-of-production NailBender unit with a photography-grade Nichia 365 UV emitter. No one ever sells these, so you’re better off checking eBay.)

CPF’s link policies make it hard to tell who on eBay has the good 365 nm drop-ins.

I got this “365 nm” eBay drop-in:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290498148490
A 1W emitter, so very low-energy. This wavelength, whatever it actually is, really makes things fluoresce, even across the room. But this power level would be useless with lights on.

So far only have this fun Nailbender drop-in at 395 nm for comparison.
This outputs a lot of purple light, as expected. In the dark, you won’t stub your toe, and organics stand out well. In a lit room, the purple light is barely visible and the fluorescent contrast isn’t useful.

The Manafont 380 nm drop-in referenced above seems like a great bet, if they’ll send me one when the baijiu is done. :slight_smile:

Hello - urine will fluoresce depending on what you put in. For example I smoke electronic cigarettes which have a substance in it that fluoresces under UV. So when it comes out it fluoresces too. Red UV-excited fluorescence on plants is due to chlorophyll and you’ll find it on the underside of branches and in dark spots in the shade etc. Once these are exposed to light the outer wall of the leaf starts blocking UV. You can find red and not red on the same plant depending on how much light it has received :slight_smile:

I am the builder of the UV Light referenced at the beginning of this thread.

I have been building UV lights and various lasers for about 10 years.

I don’t understand how so many people can determine exactly what goes into my light, without ever seeing or testing one of them.

I sell 4 different UV lights with 4 different UV output levels.

The light referenced is our #GG8BL system. It is a package consisting of :

1. Custom-machined host with brass pill modified to fit the LED that we have selected over years of testing every frequency available.
2. Constant Current and reliable driver.
3. Charger that is very reliable and not readily available.
4. UL-tested Sanyo 18650 cell which I also distribute.
5. Nylon Belt Case to keep light handy.

In testing, our customers have taken carpet w/urine stains into direct sunlight to assure the fluorescence is still visible while standing above it.

In our business, as in others, it is what the tool earns for the business that determines the ultimate value of the item.

Thanks;
Larry

Larry,

I see that you get your “custom machined host” and “not readily available charger” from the same place Monster Flashlights gets theirs. :smiley:
http://www.cobbcarpet.com/uv.html

#GG8BL - $239.95

#GG5BL - $59.95

Hmmm? :~
Ultrafire WF-501B XM-L XPE 700LM 5 Modes UV Light LED Flashlight SKU: 32002451 $8.49

Another custom light just because.
WF-502B 100 Lumen UV Ultraviolet LED Flashlight Torch(1*18650) SKU: T00442 $6.51

You may be able to baffle your carpet cleaning customers with your fancy talk, but please don’t try insult our intelligence here at BLF. As for your custom #GG8BL light. I’ve seen that many of time on Aliexpress and I don’t feel like looking for it. As for your “not readily available charger”, BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! :smiley:

LoL
We are here in the budgetlightforum where we build and mod lights so that they have a very nice price/value ratio, often exeed the stock lights by far with a lot lower price…often this is achieved by sharing information and improving things some others shared…

Every point you mentioned is worthless for me except the LeD you use.
btw. reasonable host, driver cell charger and holster can all have been acquired for under 50$…

What’s the certification test number? We can look that up on the UL page here: http://services.ul.com/categories/certification/

Am I the only one that thinks that it is scary that he gives his customers unprotected cells and a charger of that quality?

I am confused why he would dig up a thread that is nearing 3 years old (I guess 18months). Sometimes it’s better to let sleeping dogs lie.

Maybe one of his customers Googled the fancy light that they bought from the carpet cleaning guy and found out that they were taken to the cleaners?

That is the hustler confession right there.

I hear what you guys are saying, but heck, he’s throwing in a quality lanyard!! :wink: