FW3A, a TLF/BLF EDC flashlight - SST-20 available, coupon codes public

I was referring to the GB discount)

For me with 18350 tube the D4, in 18650 format the fw3a.

A mix of Miracle Gro powder and rock salt with a splash of water in a zip lock bag overnight, gives the result at the far right.
I LOVE the green/turqoise patinas on my copper lights knurling.

• How ferocious was your attack with the Sunshine cloth? or was it just a mild massage?

Honestly, both. They both fill different roles/niches.

FW3A - Less thermal mass, better regulation/driver(1+7+FET), floody, decent pocket clip, tail switch, low CRI (XPL models)

D4 - More thermal mass, more absolute power, balance of flood/throw, optional 18350 tube, 1+FET driver, larger head, clipless, high CRI.

On another note, do any of you have a line on a short D4 diffuser?

This is verdigris and it is toxic. Verdigris on an handled object might not be a good idea.

Wait, you do know soaps contain very small amounts of sulfur/sodium carbonate?

By mixing it with the copper oxide on the light, you get small amounts of copper sulfate/basic copper carbonate.

I wouldnā€™t want to handle this, unless it was clean.

:+1:

The code on Nealā€™s Gadgets is almost as good as the group buy. There is talk of other ways to get the same price but I havenā€™t needed to look into those.

Good info, I did not know this. :open_mouth: . :beer:

Reading about it just now seems to indicate the most danger comes from cooking in copper pots that have Verdigris contact with food or eating with copper utensils covered with Vergigris.

Verdigris poisoning

So if you donā€™t eat your Verdigtis patinaed copper light or put it in your mouthā€¦ you will be ahead of the game. :wink:

Might want to was your hands at the end of the day too.

ymmv

Please clarify. As I understand, the group buy is no longer exclusive, but the code is supposed to still work. The other deals Iā€™ve seen are still a bit higher than the group buy price.

Neal previously stated the code would still work until the SST20 version is ready:

Re: blue/green patina

You should be able to get similar color results by suspending your copper or brass above salt/vinegar in a sealed container.

Does anybody know if that still produces toxic output?

With vinegar?

If you dunk it in, youā€™ll get copper acetate.

If you hang it above it, the acetic acid will just oxidize the copper, and force a copper oxide patina, unless you hang it for a very long period of time.

A lot of people who force patina also clear coat it once they get it just how they like anyways. You donā€™t want your forced patina losing its patina, after all :slight_smile:

For me as an EDC workhorse light, this hasnā€™t replaced the D4 at all. Sure, itā€™s a pretty little thingā€¦but for me the D4 wins pretty much everywhere, and having the 18350 tube is icing on the cake if you require the small form factor

It goes from ~5 lm to the highest regulated level (~900 lm) in 7 steps. All of the default steps are regulated, and it wasnā€™t really considered important to make one hit exactly on the 1x7135 level.

But, of course, if thatā€™s something you want, 22/130/6 is one way to get it. Or 1/130/5. Or 33/130/4. Or 1/130/7. Or a bunch of other configurations. The least amount of clicks required to change from default to a config with the 1x7135 level is that last oneā€¦ 1/130/7. One click for the floor level, and let it fall through the other options. After that, level 4/7 should hit 1x7135 exactly.

If I remove clip will be there a gap or not?
Mike

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. George Carlin

Priceless :smiley:

If thatā€™s an answer. Iā€™m not offended :smiley:
I asked, because in my Solarforce lights clip mounted or not there is no gap.
Mike

:smiley: the FW3A isnā€™t a Solarforceā€¦ :beer:

Everything is toxic if you have enough of it.

For copper and its patina, the amount needed for toxicity is pretty high. Copper patina is sometimes used as a food supplement, particularly for livestock, because it has good bioavailability for metabolic purposes. Some forms are also used in makeup. The recommended daily allowance is about 1mg per day (like, in foodā€¦ because itā€™s in foodā€¦ and thatā€™s okay). The tolerable upper intake level is about 10 mg/day. Except for acute or chronic conditions, exposure to copper in cooking is generally considered harmless.

However, it is not recommended to store vinegar in a copper container (at least not for a long time), and then drink it. Especially on a regular basis. That would probably exceed the safe levels.

Simply handling a copper flashlight is pretty harmless though, in much the same way that handling pennies is harmless. Itā€™s even sometimes recommended, in places where people are sick. Copper handles and doorknobs in hospitals help reduce the spread of illness. But they might make your hands smell like pennies.