FW3A, a TLF/BLF EDC flashlight - SST-20 available, coupon codes public

Did anyone get the copper version?

Any idea when the colored version will be available?

Shipped - hope it’s with the option that I emailed about.

I texted him on BLF and he confirmed my choice. Still not sure if we’re going to get the sapphire lens or the original AR coated one, though.

It would be extremely useful to have an order system where a change can be communicated via the basket/order system.

email is fine, but not intuitive and very manual.
like: all orders are halted and consumers can login, select what option they want via a radio button or selection, and submit the selection. Everyone would then know what is going on and what they have to ship and what they get.

edit:
I didn’t consider the amount of effort for this technical system or change in contrast to the amount of people who would be affected. In fact, I have no clue how many people on here actually purchased how many lights. Or how many FW3A were sold in general around all distributors, shops on a global scale.
Maybe it really is easier to just email.

Yes, but even getting back an “okay” would be nice :wink:

Should I buy one? I’m a Zebralight collector, but this FW3A aroused my curiosity. I’m afraid I won’t adapt to AndĂșril or the tail switch, or the lack of a real low moonlight.

Suggestions?

I thought the moonlight level was fine and really low. Ymmv

Stick with Zebralight. The FW3A is a nice light, but it’s very different than a Zebralight (other than its small size).

The FW3A moonlight isn’t bad. It’s not as low as Zebralight will do, but it’s probably what most people consider a true moonlight.

Tailswitch is not easy to get used to if you like side-switches. It requires you hold the light different (perhaps even awkwardly if you don’t like to hold it that way). You’ll also need to lock it out when carrying, since it’s way easier to come on in a pocket than a Zebralight.

It has other advantages, though. Lots of features, and available in a really warm tint. Cheaper, too.

Thanks!

That FW3A is very different from Zebralight, should not be an argument to stick with Zebralight and stop him form buying FW3A. Good collections should have as many different flashlights as possible.

FW3A can be configured as low as 0.3 lm. Good enough for 99 % of us.

Hitherto I’ve used mostly side-switched flashlights. And had no problem moving to the tail-switched FW3A, as it is now my favorite EDC. Don’t worry about this issue.

Go for it, you will not regret.

Thanks!

Been waiting to hear an assessment on them as well. Guess not many are out in the wild yet due to the optic delays. I did go ahead and order one anyway, but it hasn’t shipped.

Absolutely. I bought the FW3A simply because it was different (and perhaps because of all the hype over the past couple of years). I really only had one use for it (as a nightlight), but the limited sunset functionality hinders my use for that (I need it to start brighter). So, it has mostly sat on my shelf. Still, I don’t regret buying it. It’s a nice light, something unique, and it looks pretty cool.

Yeah, but for moonlight purists, it’s not really low enough. Too bright for middle-of-the-night. I prefer less than 0.1 lumens for that. Since the poster was questioning the moonlight compared to his preferred Zebralights, that’s probably an important feature.

Well, I find it rather awkward. I really only like tailswitches on throwers, because I grip them with a fist and use my thumb for the switch. Use for lighting stuff up briefly. The FW3A requires a cigar grip, which isn’t very secure or natural when you’re walking with it as main light. Either that, or you need to switch the grip every time you need to use the switch. A side switch seems a lot more natural, IMO.

But the tail switch is different, and it’s worth owning just for that.

WIll there be a titanium version?

Yes there will, at some point soon I imagine. There’s a photo of a prototype in this thread somewhere.

Speaking about the switch
 I’ve had mine for a little over a week and haven’t used it much though.

However, i’m half plused about the switch. Whenever i get a new light that may happen to have a SS tail switch, i’m full of expectations
 then disappointed. I guess i’m expecting too much. I wish it acts like a piston, tightly traveling in a straight line without friction or deviance, and smoothly trigger
 But in fact, those are most of the time SS covers over a ‘regular’ switch, and more often then not prone to deviation and friction around one edge. On that chapter the FW3A switch is not that bad, but not perfect indeed.

Maybe a bit of disassembling and sanding would help?
Wax?

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/45538/11471

Just ordered one 3300k. They said the optics is not Carclo anymore
 and the new generic one is “almost” as good performance. Also, they said there’s no lens anymore, just the TIR optic. I was disappointed, to be honest.

See here: FW3A optics issues Announcement Carclo optics Arrive

I had already read it.