G-Shocks anyone?

Overclocker, most watch lights only stay on for 3 seconds or so that I’ve had. That’s to preserve the battery. Are there any that stay on?

To everyone with G-Shocks…has anyone changed the band out for a nylon/Velcro one or a canvass one? Is it possible?

I’ve had the plastic straps before but I now much prefer one of the ones mentioned above.

yeah 3 seconds or until you press a button which makes them practically unusable in the dark except for telling the time

Check this out for adapters.

I like the G-Shocks to a degee but even though they have many models they never quite have what I want.

The resin bands aren’t for me. They have adapters for other bands but I don’t care for the adapters. The models with the “circle” on the screen are distracting to me as well.

In general they don’t make good use of a large display screen. The time display usually only takes up a third of the screen. I don’t need for the day display to be as large as the time nor do I need to constantly know what the tides are doing :slight_smile:

The “specialty” info should be on a separate screen IMO (everything currently displayed in the middle third of the screen).

A large face with the time taking up most of the screen and displayed in negative form with a nylon band would be attractive and functional I think.

Has anyone seen a G-Shock like that?

Some of the g-shock features are pretty cool, but I’m sorry, I think the g-shock has the aesthetics of a watch that came out of a 25 cent vending machine. They just look like the cheapest/crappiest watch to me, and I would never wear one no matter what features it may have… My daily wear is an Omega Seamaster. Classy without being rolex-gaudy. It tells me the time and the date… Anything else I’d like to know, I have an internet connected android on my belt.

But that’s just me…

PPtk

Haha…I have a $30 Timex analogue in black with black face that does the same :slight_smile:

It’s not just you — I agree. Although I prefer digital watches, I definitely don’t like the whole clunky techno look of the G-Shock.

Ditto. They look to me also like vending machine watches I had as a kid. Bad use of space in display but they do look very rugged an I have heard they really are!

Pilot: what age your Seamaster is? i especially like the older ones…

It’s a more recent vintage. I don’t recall exactly when I bought it, but I would say it’s been 5-7 years. Its my EDC and has held up amazingly well, especially considering how rough I am with my watch. Had to replace the crystal once, but that was 100% my fault, not the watch.

PPtk

Fathers seamaster has lasted some 30yrs of rough work use… I think they last pretty well if you replace the crystal in time before moisture gets in.

Pics from repair:
http://watchguy.co.uk/service-omega-seamaster-600-135-011-calibre-601/

I can explain why I like my G Shock.

This is my 8 year old G that I traded for on another forum.

I took it off to mow the grass and set it on the hood of my truck.

I went to the store later and completely forgot it was there.

Realized what happened on the way back home, but it was run over by at least 4 cars in the meantime.

Since then, it’s been diving and in the jungle and……

They are the ultimate beaters. Ugly or not.

If that had happened to my Omega, I would have been in the ER.