GANZO KNIVES, 6&7-SERIES

Well, usually Ganzo’s 440C is quite good, with my G-7531CF I picked a lemon though.
It takes a fine edge but it dulls as quickly as my Kershaw Chill.

No edge retention compared to my SRM 910+ but there might be lemons as well…

We don’t know for sure, what 440C steel variant is really used in Ganzo knives.
Maybe lower-end 440C like 9Cr18Mo or something?

Yes. 440C, AUS8 and 9Cr18mo are very similar. Better quality than 8cr13mov.

Isn’t heat treatment consistency as much a variable as the material? Or is that just a myth?

True indeed.
I guess my G7531CF is their usual 440C, whatever that means to that steel standard, but I guess the heat treatment went wrong.

For any given steel, heat treating - good or bad - makes a difference

To harden most steel it is heated to a medium red or slightly above the point where it becomes non-magnetic.
It is then quenched in water, oil or air depending on the type of steel.
The steel is now at its maximum hardness but is very brittle.
To reduce the brittleness the metal is tempered by heating it to some where between 350°F/180°C and 1350°F/730°C.
This reduced the hardness a little and the brittelness a lot.
Most steels need to be tempered at about 450°F/230°C for maximum usable hardness but every steel is slightly different.

Ref. anvilfire.com

Very informative, thanks. Two questions:

1. Does every knife steel have to undergo this two stage heat treatment or are there other, modern methods for steel processing?
  2. Does the steel loose its magnetic capabilities momenteraly due to faster molecule movement while its hot and when it cools down and the electrons start moving at “normal” speeds it regains its magnetic properties?

1. In short
Yes, first you make it harder but brittle, then tempered to reduce the brittleness
and, yes, there are ways to fail in the process of heating and cooling
It helps if you are able to control the spread of the heating/cooling
Ref. www.wikihow.com

2. Short Answer
“Basically there are lots of little dudes with tractor beams that are aligned in little groups (crystals) in cool steel but when you heat it up they get drunk and start fighting so the tractor beams wave around everywhere. When you cool it down again they go to bed, wake up, and work as teams again.”
Ref. www.reddit.com

I rhink the little dudes are actualy atoms and they do not form crystals but your explanation is pretty acurate anyway and most of all hilarious :slight_smile: Thanks :slight_smile:

Ganzo G727 or Ganzo G740 - which one would you choose? The 727 seems to have a slightly longer blade (I’m looking for a longest blade folder)

If only was made with a frame lock/liner lock…

Like the look of the knife but I really prefer a frame/liner lock. I just can’t get used to those locks. Having troubles when operating the knife with one hand.

Nevertheless this one will join the G7513CF on my wishlist.

There’s a rebranded Ganzo G-719 on AliEx and DHG

I believe I’ve seen it with a satin blade for $30-$35 but I can’t find it back.

The original g-719 is way too heavy due to the all steel backside, this one is pretty cool except the $50 price tag and the imo needless Protech branding.

Not really. :slight_smile: The G740 is bigger. Have a look at my pics.

Are you sure you got the models right? On Gearbest they clearly state G740 = 9.4cm G727M = 9.5cm I presume you did get the models right and gearbest screwed up the specs?
Great pix by the way :slight_smile:

I would trust Isti 1000 over Gearbest LOL! Plus pics don’t lie.

Thanks! :+1: :beer: :slight_smile:

So how really good is the F759M by Ganzo Firebird, long term experience and observations?

I am still on the fence :money_mouth_face:

:person_facepalming:

I’m no expert by any means but the first comment in the review section about this knife on Gearbest makes things very clear (at lest to me):

“Every girl must have EDC knife, sharp out of box easy to open, the pink grip makes it an unique girls” :stuck_out_tongue:

They are the same size as my oldschool Spyderco FRN Delica and thanks to the finger choil you can have a firm grip on them. So don’t try to mess with me when you see me dual wielding these F759Ms! :smiling_imp:

Oki, i have ordered 2pcs!!

For 5 bucks each (including coupon)!