Gauging interest for possible return of the Jacob A60...

I bought a couple of them just before they stopped becoming available. I still have those 2, plus whatever # of them I had before that. Of the last 2 one is modded, and one is stock.

Yes, I’d be interested in more. To me, besides the price, the A60 had a very nice mechanical design, with the separate middle section (the “light engine”) containing the pill and the driver.

As others have said, the beam was really ringy, but could be improved by various methods to move the emitter further into the reflector.

The reflector was plastic, which I’m cool with if it’s a good reflector, but it would be nice if the beam could be improved. Keep the nice light engine design… made it easy to mod plus you could remove the head and tailstand it and use it as a lamp, a really, really spotty lamp :). I also like the tail cap design, plus it came reasonable lanyard (or at least the ones I got).

An A/R lens would also be nice.

Driver? The stock one was kind of weak, but there’re tons of more choices now. Even an 8x7135 would pull more more amps than the stock driver :)…

Jim

Let me jump back in because maybe I didn’t explain it clearly in the original post so I will update that one so there is no confusion.
I’m trying to get the A60 reproduced in it’s original form but hopefully with some better quality lenses, reflectors, finishing etc… Then, possibly, offer an upgraded version with a better driver and emitter as a second option.
—I’m just asking for show of interest for that concept so I can try to get the boss to agree to give it a run. If you are not interested, no problem, just ignore the thread and move on. Posting your opinions on why the original was “crap” or why you never liked it will not help get anything going. I also didn’t mean for this to be a soundboard for what would constitute your dream light.
Just trying to gauge potential sales so if we do get this up and running, we know how many to start with.

Thanks, Badger4715

Edit:
I’m 100% in. I’d probably buy 2-3 of them. The difficulty is going to be trying to please the masses. As everyone is going to want certain parts of it “their way.” The easiest thing would be to offer a mid-quality level flashlight that is cheap, then offer a host version for those of us who want to put in our own emitters and drivers.

If you’re considering designing everything yourself, do you think we could get a bigger head on it? Something along the lines of the HD2010?

Yourrid, thanks for your interest! As far as getting a bigger head for it, I’ll have to see what options I have if I can get it to production. I know we’ve manufactured some flashlights in the past for our inventory, but there wasn’t much interest so they dropped the line. If they are still tooled for some of the lights that had bigger heads, that might be an option.

IN!

Only minor changes would be logical for this light. Of which a GOOD AR lens and some HAIII. An Aluminum reflector would be nice too but that ads $’s fast when you are getting to these dimensions. Maybe the dimensions could be slightly modified to fit an existing known good reflector?

Just to add more info, in this thread Jacob A60 - first impressions there is mention of some users using the C8 aluminium reflector.

Count me in (depending on price). Anything under $23 is pretty much an automatic purchase with me. Anything over that and I hit the potential for fees and delays at customs. Some times it is worth taking the risk but that is only for items I just have to own as life would be meaningless without them :bigsmile: .

Interested in 1, If I like it…… I’ll buy more, how’s that? :wink:

If you build it they will hate it. If you stop they will beg for more. :wink:

I’ll be watching to see what you come up with anyway.

Ok… So, not sure who followed my story above :slight_smile: I had 2 x A60s. I was so disgusted with the first build (extremely ringy & bad beam pattern) that it went into the bin & the 2nd one I gave to my 5 year old son as a souvenir.

I was then sentenced to Flashlight Hell for my sins. I felt so bad that I salvaged the 2nd one from my son & did the best build I could on this A60. Long story short, dedomed XP-G2 S4 2B… and…

Believe it or not, this thing does 6300 lux with turn on at 6.2m on an Efest Purple 35A!!?? This translates to 242k lux!! I KID YOU NOT. That is 983m! WTF! Can this be? I could not believe this, so I immediately measured my Hot Rod Convoy C8 running a dedomed XP-L V6 2C after that. Got 3620 lux @ 6.2m. This translates to 139k lux, which I know is correct because this is what I’ve measured before! I’m using a Dr Meter LX1330B.

Tint all good, beam very ringy…

So, guys… is it only me who cannot believe this?

Is this standard figures for an A60?! :~

Schrick, those are pretty impressive numbers! From what I have gathered over the years, like many other popular lights, the A60 seems to have had different levels of performance that varies from extra ringy beam patterns and so/so tint and or lumens to great beam profile and above average throw. The one that I bought and carried on my duty belt for several years seemed to be one of the (better) exceptions. No ringy beam, super intense neutral hotspot and unbelievable throw. Another officer I worked with took my suggestion and bought one a couple months later from the same seller and got one that also had a very nice beam profile but the tint was noticeably cooler and not as throwy… I seem to remember a thread on BLF where someone mentioned that there were A60’s that were doing 80k kcd stock, as compared to a lower average of what, 45K? But don’t quote me on that. I’m hoping to get this reincarnation into production and hopefully turn out a higher average this time around. Thanks for the feedback! Badger4715

One like shrick’s would be great, and not expensive.

:bigsmile: THANK YOU EVERYONE, FOR THE FEEDBACK!!! :bigsmile:
Keep them coming! Every, “Interested” or “+1” will help!
I appreciate the response!
Thx, Badger4715

Depending on price, I would be interested in 1 or 2 complete lights and as many hosts.

You can see ringy pattern @>300M?

I posted some info on the mod here.

I’ll have to explicitly check, but I think the answer would be no, or very close to no… distance helps to consume the beam defects.

I haven't seen this thread before.

Of course I want Jacob A60 back! He'll be back :)

Edit: I would like to see it in old format. Why?

- That would lower production cost so we could have it at 10$ again,

- Plastic reflector can handle any magnum rifle recoil without any issues

About A60 ringy beam haters... Yes it really has ringy beam but only if you hunt white walls :)

Do you guys actually use flashlight or you are watching the beam on white wall? I don't care about ringy beam because if you field use this you'll not notice a single ring in beam just pure and unbeatable throw for size of flashlight.

Some even more premium SMO reflector throwers(solarforce, lumapower) has similar ringy beam as Jacob so I don't see any issue with that.

I’ve realized what we need…

We need a Convoy C8, with a head size of the A60, with the same quality aluminium reflector as in the current C8, just with a larger design to fit the bigger head. The C8 with XM-L2
U2 (much better than the XR-E) sells for $17.99. The last price listed at DX for the A60 was $14.51.

How much extra will such a light cost? Its the same processes, bit more aluminium for the head body & reflector, little bit bigger lens, and some time to have it designed. I’m guessing an additional $4-5 per light?

And, what we’ll have for that is really 1 hell of a light. Imagine paying for Concoy C8 quality, head size of the A60, doing 200-250kcd for around $22-23.

Now we’re talking…

I’m serious about this recommendation above. So, is Simon not the guy to chat to then…? I don’t think there’s any doubt that the C8 is an exceptionally well designed light at a very affordable price… IF YOU TAKE IN MIND WHAT YOU GET FOR THE MONEY.