Gauging interest for possible return of the Jacob A60...

Ok… So, not sure who followed my story above :slight_smile: I had 2 x A60s. I was so disgusted with the first build (extremely ringy & bad beam pattern) that it went into the bin & the 2nd one I gave to my 5 year old son as a souvenir.

I was then sentenced to Flashlight Hell for my sins. I felt so bad that I salvaged the 2nd one from my son & did the best build I could on this A60. Long story short, dedomed XP-G2 S4 2B… and…

Believe it or not, this thing does 6300 lux with turn on at 6.2m on an Efest Purple 35A!!?? This translates to 242k lux!! I KID YOU NOT. That is 983m! WTF! Can this be? I could not believe this, so I immediately measured my Hot Rod Convoy C8 running a dedomed XP-L V6 2C after that. Got 3620 lux @ 6.2m. This translates to 139k lux, which I know is correct because this is what I’ve measured before! I’m using a Dr Meter LX1330B.

Tint all good, beam very ringy…

So, guys… is it only me who cannot believe this?

Is this standard figures for an A60?! :~

Schrick, those are pretty impressive numbers! From what I have gathered over the years, like many other popular lights, the A60 seems to have had different levels of performance that varies from extra ringy beam patterns and so/so tint and or lumens to great beam profile and above average throw. The one that I bought and carried on my duty belt for several years seemed to be one of the (better) exceptions. No ringy beam, super intense neutral hotspot and unbelievable throw. Another officer I worked with took my suggestion and bought one a couple months later from the same seller and got one that also had a very nice beam profile but the tint was noticeably cooler and not as throwy… I seem to remember a thread on BLF where someone mentioned that there were A60’s that were doing 80k kcd stock, as compared to a lower average of what, 45K? But don’t quote me on that. I’m hoping to get this reincarnation into production and hopefully turn out a higher average this time around. Thanks for the feedback! Badger4715

One like shrick’s would be great, and not expensive.

:bigsmile: THANK YOU EVERYONE, FOR THE FEEDBACK!!! :bigsmile:
Keep them coming! Every, “Interested” or “+1” will help!
I appreciate the response!
Thx, Badger4715

Depending on price, I would be interested in 1 or 2 complete lights and as many hosts.

You can see ringy pattern @>300M?

I posted some info on the mod here.

I’ll have to explicitly check, but I think the answer would be no, or very close to no… distance helps to consume the beam defects.

I haven't seen this thread before.

Of course I want Jacob A60 back! He'll be back :)

Edit: I would like to see it in old format. Why?

- That would lower production cost so we could have it at 10$ again,

- Plastic reflector can handle any magnum rifle recoil without any issues

About A60 ringy beam haters... Yes it really has ringy beam but only if you hunt white walls :)

Do you guys actually use flashlight or you are watching the beam on white wall? I don't care about ringy beam because if you field use this you'll not notice a single ring in beam just pure and unbeatable throw for size of flashlight.

Some even more premium SMO reflector throwers(solarforce, lumapower) has similar ringy beam as Jacob so I don't see any issue with that.

I’ve realized what we need…

We need a Convoy C8, with a head size of the A60, with the same quality aluminium reflector as in the current C8, just with a larger design to fit the bigger head. The C8 with XM-L2
U2 (much better than the XR-E) sells for $17.99. The last price listed at DX for the A60 was $14.51.

How much extra will such a light cost? Its the same processes, bit more aluminium for the head body & reflector, little bit bigger lens, and some time to have it designed. I’m guessing an additional $4-5 per light?

And, what we’ll have for that is really 1 hell of a light. Imagine paying for Concoy C8 quality, head size of the A60, doing 200-250kcd for around $22-23.

Now we’re talking…

I’m serious about this recommendation above. So, is Simon not the guy to chat to then…? I don’t think there’s any doubt that the C8 is an exceptionally well designed light at a very affordable price… IF YOU TAKE IN MIND WHAT YOU GET FOR THE MONEY.

I believe there’s definitely still a need for a better quality light, in the same form factor as the A60. Why is there so little to choose from in this ‘A60’ size? The size/performance ratio of the A60 is exceptional… I mean 900-1000m in a light this size – Crazy. The light is really compact. Most of its ‘competitors’ are bigger sized lights e.g. M2X-UT (Single Cell). Again, I’ve realized that the size/performance ratio of the A60 is special.

Pilotdog… I see you’ve already mentioned what I’ve realized in my comments above.

Dang I got three JacobA60s for $5.47 each two with free 3 day shipping from Aurabuy/DD4. Best score ever found on BLF. Someone got fuzzy slippers instead!

I bought my Jacobs for about 10$ at aurabuy, DX had dearer prices on J60 than other vendors and some guys managed to get them for 5$ with free shipping from some other site. I was bloody fool thinking that jacob will be always in stock so I did not ordered lot of them even when I had a chance to buy for 5$ per piece.

So whatever you'll do don't break 20$(free shipping) bank cause you loose plenty of Europe costumers who mostly must pay customs tax(about 35%) on orders greater than 20$.

Jacob is poor old beggar that can kill most reflector flashlight on the market. And imho it should not be touched, it should be sold exactly as before. 10$ per piece(free shipping).

Well, not to derail this thread but I never saw Jacob A60 for 5$, Id be all over it back then, I got mine from Aurabuy or Wallbuys for <12$ a piece.

it was the end of Aurabuys lights when they bailed out of selling flashlights .they were always the normal 14$ and discounted them to 10$ for a little bit …at the same time closing out some nice sunwayman lights too … then a month or two later the 5$ deal popped up on a really sketchy website (DD4) that could barely figure out how to take your money … i had a bunch in my cart and when trying to pay it froze and when i refreshed they were gone . i got a few …but lost the eight or so i had in my cart the first go’round .
great light for the 14$ but i wouldn’t bet on buying it cheaper .i think under 10$ is just a pipe dream .

I disagree with the xml2 idea i think it should remain as it is .or just make it $10 host
—-also think the c8 is the ugliest light ever made
If you have to redesign it make it look like a X6 eagle eye with a 50 mm reflector and make it lego with varying length convoy tubes

I’d buy another, and probably a few more. Either with small improvements or just as they were, the value factor was there and so long as it stays I’d be interested.

Rings in the beam, product of the XR-E, not the reflector. XR-E = rings, due to the metal cap around the die. Don't shine it on a white wall and it's all good. Very tight hot spot, due to the XR-E. Anything else will look more like a C8 beam. Either keep it original, or just with an Alu reflector with the same reflector profile and an AR lens.

Hell, get Cree to bring the XR-E back and give it new life with the new technology they have. The XR-E needs to be made again with about double the output, if they wanted to, they could do it.

I wouldn't buy any A60 lights. Just running my mouth is all.

I agree as the original A60 was popular for mainly two reasons, - low cost and powerful pencil-beam throw. The XR-E had a huge base for the die for lots of heat dissipating, and CREE could easily introduce a new version of the XR-E with double the Lux/output with the tons of heat dissipating capacity of the original XR-E footprint. (and they could even offer a couple versions, as offer one without that metal ring & dome, and make a XR-E2 HI High-Intensity domeless version would be even better. then offer it in the same Jacobs A60 host, then add a 3.06 amp Qlite driver as stock… I would buy one… or two. :slight_smile: