GB Clone Offically "SOLD OUT" 10/21/18 XPL HI 1300LM Focusing AKA Cometa 2016

I imagine those would work just fine. Or just cut some yourself from a plastic milk jug.

No pics for you? Hmmm…. I don’t know, I can see them.

Geez, never in my wildest imagination did I think people actually thought those were threads, I thought you were all joking around,
I am really finally speechless … ha ha ha ha oh wow, yes lube those up real good ha ha ha, oh my to darn funny, you are the best jokers around and it doesn’t even cost to join this group, what a deal. :money_mouth_face:

and you started it all

That’s what I’m gonna do. Got two, second has a ring for the driver (none needed for the tail, I imagine, unless it just gets stuck-on; at least it doesn’t go boom), first has none.

Figure any thin piece of plastic, cardboard, even paper, would work just dandily.

In the first place, those are not “threads”. They are heat transfer / cooling fins. And of course they are not “designed” for an o-ring.

BUT, that in no way means a ‘proper size o-ring’ will not work properly for the simple task that is suggested.

First of all get a proper size square profile “o-ring” & the rest is history. About 2 & 1/2 year old history in fact. That is when bella-headlight came up with the idea, pictured below.

The picture above is how bella-headlight did his Cometa… way back when. :wink:

He did it to tighten the head ‘wobbles’…. :smiley:

Personally, I never did any of mine like this because “the Cometa head wobbles” never bother me.
Maybe mine were a bit tighter, I don’t know…

BUT I am now thinking, as Lightbringer suggested; place a “proper size square o-ring” in the top & botton fin groove and it would surely help keep the world out of the zooming threads. Filling both grooves would be good, but the most important one is the top one; closest to the zoom threads.

Just a simple ‘mod’…… not a “design change”.

Yep T18, not a joke at all… :person_facepalming: … :smiley: . :smiley: . :smiley:

Thanks T18…. :+1: … Yep, he is still around. He has just had a busy last few months with work, not much spare time. :wink:

Yeah… his idea was a good one. IIRC he found those square ones at a plumbing supply place.

Yep, I do believe that would be where you would find something like those or a hydraulic supply house.
As matter of fact I was just thinking about what I mentioned to you the other day when I laid that copy of my post on you and how it was you that taught me to save copies of stuff that might be useful someday down the road and I’d bet your the only one who saved that picture from Bella’s idea and it is useful down the road,
I for one was trying to remember where I’d seen someone do that O-ring thing and well there she be, thanks to you, never did do it myself either, got to involved in finding scum bags and never did mess with this clone much after that, I was to burnt out by the time we finally concluded everything and never looked at them again truthfully, just to disgusted.

/\ … :+1:

Wellp, despite all them negative waves, I just played around for a few min out back, shining The Bat Signal on nearby (and not-so-nearby) trees. Quite nice!

Wonder how it’d compare to my L2…

Nice, yet a little unsettling, to shine a real thrower without a telltale spill all around, not even up close.

As much as I initially asked myself, “Wotnahell am I gonna do with a zoomie? I hate zoomies…”, I’m getting to like this critter, a lot. Even if it’s just a clone of the Real Thing™, the performance tells me The Jaxman done good with a brilliant design.

Whole lotta groovin’ going on here. :laughing:

With these new pics I now see what you’re saying. Wasn’t sure exactly which specific area(s) you were all talking about since the previous pics/captions were a bit confusing at least to me. I’m looking at what appear to be threads you’re actually talking about heat transfer fins. Or maybe one or two pics I didn’t pick up clearly on my mobile. Anyway…….

Should work with those square o-rings to quiet things up. I don’t think there’ll be any substantial heat transfer issues with just a couple. Plenty of bare fins left to get the job done.

I’m on the hunt for a better lens, I’ve got to get back with a Alibaba guy I’ve messaged and dealt with before and see if he can track down something closer in size to the real lens of the Z1, the Z1 lens fits nice in this clone, no wiggle at all.
I’ll stick on it and see what turns up.
I sure am curious just how many clones we bought off this thread ?

Yep nottawhackjob… it will probably “quiet some things up” most likely, but it will surely help keep those zoom threads cleaner I think. :+1:

Glad the pictures helped. :slight_smile:

I’m looking at my lenses and I don’t see any bubbles as mentioned somewhere. Definitely AR though.

I’m very pleased with what I got here as is, stock configuration. I guess I’ll get around to modding a couple eventually but I’m in no rush as it works so dam well as it arrived.

Say nottawhackjob I was the one of course who mentioned bubbles in the lenses, but what I was referring to was during the GB where after the maker of these clones ran out of the authentic Z1 lenses that they and BG conned out of Jaxman which were somewhere between 100-150 lens and so then they started using an undersized plain optical glass lens that was smaller than the authentic lenses and when this change happened the first lenses members were getting had bubbles in the lenses, so people by then had known there were the first 100-150 clones shipped to us with great authentic lenses and when the bubble glass lenses started showing up after BG and Manker ran out of the good ones members were freaking out big time and mad and filing PayPal disputes and wanting their money back and so BG found a new lens supplier and started sending new lenses to all those who had pictures of the bubbles in the glass, it was a hell of a bad time for everyone, so that’s how the bubble stuff was mentioned by me.
These are not those bad bubble lenses and are really a pretty good lens but just undersized and not as thick as what they should be by about 1+ mm, so this lens you’ll notice slides around in the bezel a lot, but still once you tighten down the bezel and while doing so sort of look and make sure it doesn’t get locked into one side or the other of the bezel it works fine but definitely can be better, like when I take the authentic lens and put it into this clone it fits perfectly tight and there’s no sliding back or forth,
I was just messing with the drivers Bistro setup and I thought wow this is really not a bad lens looked really good on a wall shot I just wish it was larger like the real one, wider and thicker, it makes a bit of difference when you see it in person but if you don’t know the difference its no big deal.
So that is the bubble lens story, I’m still going to see if I can find a better lens for us, even a straight 49mm would work better I think than this lens, more throw I think, so there you have it straight for the horses mouth… ha ha :+1:

Crap I could literally write a book about this disaster, it had to have been the worst GB in BLF history, at least it’s the worst I’ve ever seen and on so many levels, criminal and whatever else.
Headed to bed, later pal
G.

I think ya almost have already, T18!

I wonder what Mr. Jax must be thinking if he read this thread?

Sheesh. :open_mouth:

Btw thanks for the lens expose. It’s like I’m holding in my hand right now an artifact of historic flashlight importance. :laughing:

Ummmm, the MT09R/SC02 fiasco? :smiling_imp:

I have a bubble in the flange/lip of the lens and it's only visible while zooming. Forms a 'lobe' shape outside of the hotspot but not horrible.

I definitely would like another lens.