GB Clone Offically "SOLD OUT" 10/21/18 XPL HI 1300LM Focusing AKA Cometa 2016

That’s the one.

What kinda missing pieces?

@T18:
Hey, indeed only 13.2 mm in height.
Sorry about my wild guesstimates…

Do you know the performance difference between the two lenses? Do you have a lux meter or lux meter smartphone app to measure the difference?

Assuming at 5A, full charged 26650 sags to 4v, and then springs, switch,FET, etc cause 0.5v dropped so the LED is actually seeing 3.5V?
I measured my cometa stock xpl hi is having 3.6 forward voltage by probing mcpcb.
Battery age is one factor too. Can’t remember was i using new battery for measurement above.
I think to be safe I will use my 5years old 26650 to check forward voltage first.

I use this app: Lux meter

For standardization, has there been some consensus on a particular smartphone app? Or due to too many platforms (various sensors used in phones), is that even a reasonable attempt?

I’m hearing a bunch of complaints about the loose rattling head when zooming around.

IMO it’s actually a smart well thought out GOOD feature.

When ya have exposed ‘threads’ like in this particular focusing configuration about the last thing ya want is close/tight tolerances.

Now that said, who here is bright enough to explain why this statement makes mechanical
sense?

:student:

Hint: maybe think AK47?……

PS. There’s also a secondary GOOD reason for the Cometa zooming design. Anyone have an idea why?

When you get dirt in the threads it does not bind up (loose tolerances)

Smart boy. :student: :beer:

Now how about the PS question?

Effortless twisting with single hand

No. But that is a potential good by-product of this inherent superior design. Of course that edge cuts both ways as when in for instance the Cometa is in a pants pocket and tends to rotate when it’s not desired.

Well you know I can’t even explain them, I’d have to try and take pictures to show you and then still it wouldn’t make any sense,
I’m not really sure even what they do exactly. And these are parts of the assembly that are unique to this lights design, so honestly I wouldn’t even know how to begin explaining at all, but it just occurred to me that theirs a vid done by Jaxman on how to assemble these lights and that would be a really good thing to show you that would maybe explain it all, if I can find it, so I’ll start hunting for it, this isn’t a real easy light to put back together, I see what I can find.

This?

It has been quite a while since I had mine apart, both Z1 & Cometa; but I do remember the pills are different and the ‘black disc’ are different. I’ll try to locate some old pictures I posted back in the time of the ‘Cometa Wars’ a couple of years ago & post them here. :wink:

I seem to remember the Z1 also has a black ring that mounts under, over, or around the ‘black disc’ that the Cometa does not have…. due to it’s slightly different design.

Back later with pics… I hope. . :smiley:

Yes Sir, from the outer bottom flat to tip of the apex I guess you’d call it, not much of a lens.
I’ve been looking for a lens the size of the Z1’s and it’s probably not possible to find, real odd ball size, but I’m going to start asking some Alibaba guys and see what they can find and maybe if the price is right and the size is right I can make a deal and get us some real lenses.
If that doesn’t work then I’m left with only one other idea, call in a big favor and I don’t even want to go there.

No need to be sorry about my screw up, I posted something and then I’m not here to answer, it’s my sorry for not paying attention to my own stats.

That’s the part that Lightbringer was inquiring about Teacher, I can’t explain it or it’s function either, but remember that vid that Jaxman made?
I’m going to try and find that for the curious and it should give or help with an explanation of the parts involved in a Z1.
The Cometa is just a no brainer assembly, Z1 you will scratch your head a few times.

Ha Ha, I found it, Z1 Assembly
Edit: Well damn it darn it Lightbringer, didn’t even see you already found it, rats… :stuck_out_tongue:
Yep that be it, great job finding it…

Yeah T18…. it shows it in Jaxmans video. It mounts over the ‘black disc’ & inside the head. It is the black ring spacer thing. :wink:

I was running the mode order up with short half clicks and reversing the order with longerclicks like the BLF A-6 ....

I dudn’t realize this driver did that

I can’t find the pictures I mentioned in the post above. But, due to design; the only ‘parts’ the Z1 has that the Cometa does not are:

• 1. The black ring spacer mentioned above.
  • 2. LED centering ring/spacer.

On all my Cometas I did use THIS Butterfly Spacer / Insulator under the black anodized disk to raise it just a tiny bit. It fit perfectly, no drilling or sanding required.

I had to figure a few things out too but I like that reverse order, especially from moon to turbo. This is my first A6 driver.

I'm curious though, why does the BLF A6 put out ~1600 lumens and this one is only 1300?