GB Clone Offically "SOLD OUT" 10/21/18 XPL HI 1300LM Focusing AKA Cometa 2016

Silt like contaminants will still get into it because rubber o-rings don’t like fine abrasives and liquids. And with tight no rattle threads it will likely eventually grind up surfaces. As far as thermal effectiveness all I can say is as long as there’s any air gap in the threads thermally the gain from tighter threads IMO is trivial in comparison. If it’s able to freely rotate then it inherently has an air gap.

Not saying that the Cometa will do better dunked in water/silt. Just that IMO it’ll be less prone to seizing up and will retain functionality likely better than the Brynte. Outside of direct physical testing though it’s just an educated but not potentially flawless conjecture.

You may indeed be more right than me.

Glad to know the AK was correct because I do know while tromping around in the mud if I happened to see a AK suddenly come up out of the mud I knew I was in deep deep crap and just try something like that with a M16, plus if you ever just happened to find a AK just laying around you always would pick it up and lug it around with you as a backup but generally it would end up as your primary go to, 100% dependable and low to no maintenance.
I’d mentioned somewhere back in my long rambles that for as long as I’ve had both these lights I had never really compared to two in depth, well I did the other night and I can say it again, this is about as close a 1:1 clone less missing parts the original has that any machine shop could have made, so that tells me that someone and I’m not going to name Manker, but I know who it is that had Jaxmans specs for the Z1, so the machining is to the tee, spot on, Edit: For the most part, 98% — and that is what made all this so dirty and low down, this is Jaxman’s flagship light and is his biggest achievement, his pride a joy, and when I was asked why BLF would do this to him, I went to war with my remarkable and trusty side kick and heads rolled and BLF’s name was cleared at Jaxman, that was another reason Jaxman really did want some hosts out at BLF, so we would all know what was real and what was fake and a way to say sorry for thinking we would deliberately clone Jaxmans light, and it goes on and on, it’s the worst story of flashlights I know of and all the threads that had to do with the cometa or the Z1 as far as I know have all been locked by SB, this subject could get so hot at times, so that is another reason I realized that what I said in the post to Tom Tom was not accurate and I apologize, end of story… ?? I hope so.

A small air gap can be overcome with silicone grease.
Not ideal either, but better than air.
But let’s conclude with the notion that we should always avoid sand storms with zoomy lights.
Maybe avoid sand storms alltogether… :+1: :smiley:

Yes silicone will do that to an uneven extent… But I will say that as the clone is very near 1:1 in machining that mimicking or in this particular case, design theft, is a somewhat flattering compliment to Mr. Jax’s excellent engineering.

To quote/paraphrase Keith Richards…….

“If you’re not getting bootlegged you’re not happening.”

:sunglasses:

This is a VERY high quality light from a structural standpoint. Electronically I can’t say for sure as there were past issues. At $15 it’s one of the top ten flash bargains of all time IMO if not THE top one of all time.

My 2 cents……

:sunglasses:
[/quote]

I agree! I just purchased a Sunwayman V11R deeply discounted at $19. And I said to myself “I got that Cometa for less than that!” Will I now compare every purchase to the Cometa? Perhaps the best deal of all time. But those SK 68s are at the very top of the list as well for me. Get a good one of those for $3 and put a 14500 in it u have an amazing flashlight!

After the GB on these and then when BG put these up for sale on their site I’ve watched them now for over two years just sit there with only a couple ever sold at the $45 price, I believe I checked on these lights nearly every other day.
Then when I last checked and saw they had actually reduced the price to $15 I thought it was a momentary glitch and actually waited until late that evening before I decided to post these, oh that was nerve wracking,
I didn’t know if I should, what sort of issues would it bring up, was I doing the right thing or selling out my friend and vendor, I really didn’t know what to do.
But now I am so glad to have found these and the most funny part to me is besides BG selling these now at their cost, but while they changed the price they forgot that they had also listed these as a package deal as well as the single light, and it was the package deal I found first, so that was like icing on the cake in my mind, not only did BG get what they deserved, basically zero profit, but then they added a $12 cell the Vappower 26650 on top of the discount, so just how great was that until they realized their mistake, I was thrilled nearly to death, BG lost money in so many ways, it was just perfect for those BG scoundrels.

4/19/2016
Finally the CPFItalia COMETA is ready!!!
Go “HERE” and use the code: COMETA
Price: 40$
The coupon is valid both for Neutral and Cool white tints

No that is not a good GB, a great GB is when you wait 2.5 yrs and buy it for $15 … ha ha ha
And these couldn’t have gone to a better group, who would have thought 626 posts and 16,400 reads later and we bought the clone out of existence, at least in China, or so it appears.
But the Euro market should still have at least 400 or so because since we got our junk GB clones first CPF Italia didn’t buy any after hearing what we thought and completely backed out, who could blame them.
Edit: And one other amazing observation is the thread here is not LOCKED by SB, that is incredible…

Wellp, like I said before… :smiling_imp:

I got screwed out of the deal, though. Was offered the without-cell option (vs refund), took it, but asked about the included cells.

“Nope, no cells, only light.”

“Yah, well, could you offer an alternate cell, or even a voucher for a later purchase?”

“Nope, you screwed. Hope you understand…”

Uhh, no, I don’t.

Well I am fairly certain there was mass panic when they realized they were giving away money along with a cheap light, to darn funny to me but I’m truly sorry you just missed out on those cells by minutes or half day at best, so very sorry, so next time I will PM you first immediately… ha ha ha

You are so right Lightbringer! . :+1:
Many people never understood that 2 & 1/2 years ago when the Cometa first came on the scene. :person_facepalming:

Several people were putting grease on those concentric fins <span class=“threads” “square-cut called you what”> and it did absolutely nothing but make a mess. :smiley:

The picture below shows the ‘Zoom Threads’ at the right end of the tube. The square concentric fins are shown too.

In the picture below, both the zoom threads & ‘fins’ can be seen also.

I think your idea about placing an o-ring where you mentioned Lightbringer is a good idea. It would certainly help keep ‘the world’ out of the important places. It might not be a bad idea to place one on the other end too, closest to the ‘zoom threads’… that would seal it up even more.

If it works go for it but IMO those threads aren’t designed for an o-ring. Mr. Jax would’ve designed in a specific groove (s) for o-rings. Prolly deeper grooved than what you see in these threads to allow for adequate compression, retention, and stability while against rotating forces.

But hey……

:beer:

Well, I just wanted ’em to make good on the initial offer… or at least try.

Even a crappy AssFire 26650 might mollify me.

Yeh, hence the quotes around it. They look like nice beefy SQT, but ain’t.

Ummm, can’t see any pix. More PB hijinx?

Does anyone find some plastic rings for protection like one that came with light ?

I spend some time and this is best that I find : rings

It write 24mm x 0.5mm, and original white ring is 27mm x 0.5mm. I think this will do the job, someone find better ones ?

I imagine those would work just fine. Or just cut some yourself from a plastic milk jug.

No pics for you? Hmmm…. I don’t know, I can see them.

Geez, never in my wildest imagination did I think people actually thought those were threads, I thought you were all joking around,
I am really finally speechless … ha ha ha ha oh wow, yes lube those up real good ha ha ha, oh my to darn funny, you are the best jokers around and it doesn’t even cost to join this group, what a deal. :money_mouth_face:

and you started it all

That’s what I’m gonna do. Got two, second has a ring for the driver (none needed for the tail, I imagine, unless it just gets stuck-on; at least it doesn’t go boom), first has none.

Figure any thin piece of plastic, cardboard, even paper, would work just dandily.

In the first place, those are not “threads”. They are heat transfer / cooling fins. And of course they are not “designed” for an o-ring.

BUT, that in no way means a ‘proper size o-ring’ will not work properly for the simple task that is suggested.

First of all get a proper size square profile “o-ring” & the rest is history. About 2 & 1/2 year old history in fact. That is when bella-headlight came up with the idea, pictured below.

The picture above is how bella-headlight did his Cometa… way back when. :wink:

He did it to tighten the head ‘wobbles’…. :smiley:

Personally, I never did any of mine like this because “the Cometa head wobbles” never bother me.
Maybe mine were a bit tighter, I don’t know…

BUT I am now thinking, as Lightbringer suggested; place a “proper size square o-ring” in the top & botton fin groove and it would surely help keep the world out of the zooming threads. Filling both grooves would be good, but the most important one is the top one; closest to the zoom threads.

Just a simple ‘mod’…… not a “design change”.

Yep T18, not a joke at all… :person_facepalming: … :smiley: . :smiley: . :smiley: