[GB ended,discussion only] CRI > 80+ NICHIA 2000K-6500K [E21A/219B/219C/319A/144A/757GT-F1(Optisolis)]

219Cs in R9050 exist in 4500K. That’s 90 CRI minimum with R9 (deep red) of 50 minimum. R9 usually exceeds the minimum by a significant amount with these, but less in very warm tints.

219Cs do not come in R9080, and might never.

I used this for all my latest tint shots. They’re too cheap to not to try: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-x-60-Degree-21mm-frosted-Lens-Cree-XPE-XPG-XTE-LED-/261515828211?hash=item3ce38edbf3
Just use clear silicone glue for easy removal (NEVER use any cyanoacrilate or superglue!). Fits most standard 16 and 20mm boards

- Clemence

A word of warning about silicone glue: make sure you use the good stuff for electronics. The cheap stuff produces acetic acid (vinegar) vapour as it cures, which won’t do electronics or reflectors any good. I’m not sure if it will fog plastic optics, though. If you’re not sure, try some on a piece of paper; you’ll smell the vinegar smell if it’s that kind.

I use the non acid type from Permatex, red automotive cylinder head gasket maker. Just for temporary fix. Thin double tape also do the job fair enough.
For permanent installation, transparent epoxy still the best so far.
Cyanoacrilate is a big no for any PMMA material, it will create thick haze on them.

- Clemence

Ouch. I didn’t know that. Thanks for mentioning it :+1:

After my first experience with these filters from a sample booklet I made a report, see here.
I am fortunate to have a Color Analyzer so I can measure the color points (xc,yc) before and after correction. That is useful, being a tint snob.
My first aim was to correct the awfully green Xiaomi lamps to have a tint on the BBL locus (arrow d in the drawing). This is about 20/1000 or 0.020 on the yc axis (In the drawing I interchanged yc and xc axis, sorry).
An offset on yc of 0.005 is easy to see as a green tint so here we have 4 times as much.
The best job would be done by a 279 plus a 003 filter but that would cost 35% in efficiency so I decided for only one layers of filter 279, that worked fine.
My final choice was to buy three filters:

- nr.279 (minus 1/8 green). Used it a lot to remove moderate greenish tint. Also makes the CCT a little warmer. Also to correct the slight greenish 219C (in my opinion) towards the magenta side.

- nr.278 (plus 1/8 green). Aimed to correct LEDs that is too magenta. Used only a few times.

• nr.206 (straw color). To correct those awfully bluish (old) LEDs. Used it on many of my old lights with great result

I would advice you to ask for a (free) sample booklet from a vendor as I did. Then you can see the effect of a filter by shining a flashligt through the sample sheet (they are small, appr. 1.5 x 4 inch). Then decide which to buy. My local vendor did not have the half sheet size (cheapest) so I had to select carefully to save money.

Has anybody ever played with one of these cheap see through spectroscop?Amazon.com (only available in the U.S.)
to see if there’s a difference between different CRIs

Has anybody ever played with one of these cheap see through spectroscop?Amazon.com (only available in the U.S.)
to see if there’s a difference between different CRIs

Yes, you will see a spectrum and with some experience you can make out if the source is incandescent, led, sunlight etc. The difference between different colour temperature leds is already a challenge and you will be my hero if you can judge CRI from seeing a spectrum by eye. For that you need to record the spectrum, then calibrate the wavelengths and relative powers of them, and then analyse the data.

I hate you guys, you know that? I saw that, didn’t know such a thing even existed for so cheap, and had to order one (well, two, in case one breaks or gets lost), like, right now.

Will let youse know when I get it how it fares. Reviews look pretty good, so…

I always try to help.

Revenge for the two Boroit headlamps I bought? :wink:

But lucky you, you can order one, I am in Germany and can’t.

Only 2? Damn, I got like 6 of ’em. Gave away a couple, still got the rest. Figure even if “disposable” I’ll have a long enough supply to keep me happy. Carry one in my bag every day, just as a spare light of whatever kind (wear it, remove from the band and “palm” it, etc.).

Oh it has a few issues:

- pwm

- a linear instead a cubic​ ramp

• sensor works only in full
    But good for the price.
    Can someone fix that and make a BLF edition.
    Was there ever a BLF headlamp?

Yep.

I’ve gotten decent at catching it at/near the lowest point for regular day-to-day stuff, but would definitely prefer a log ramp.

Don’t really mind the full-power wave-thing as I don’t use it that often (I’m good with clicking it on/off as needed).

And for whatever reason pwm doesn’t seem to bug me as much as it does other people (’though tube-type fluorescent lights flickering at 120Hz does bug me after a short while).

For 10bux, though, I’ll live with it. :smiley:

Fixing everything but pwm could be as simple as reflashing the µC that’s controlling it.

A ~10µF chip-cap right across the LED might smooth the output. Output would still be jiggly, but not a hard on/off.

Then again, PWMing is a linear function, filtering/smoothing the voltage accordingly to an LED with a ~3V “knee” not so much. Ie, 50% might filter down the 3.8V from the cell down to a spiky 1.9V, giving a nice moonlight mode as the LED barely glows at all, if at all. :smiley:

’Though if it’s not discharged when the voltage is that low, charge would simply build up in the next round of pulses. Never analysed that particular function, maybe someone else could try it in the Real World™.

Fact is, pwm is the simplest and cheapest(!) way to modulate a high power load like an LED when you have limited voltage headroom.

If Motorola still made their hexfets, you could get a sampling of the current throughput from a sense-out pin, without needing a series resistor to sniff the current through the load. Output from the sense-out pin would be a percentage of the total current, eg, 1%, so a 1A load would give a 10mA output. Sniff that and modulate accordingly.

Alas, I don’t think they’re made anymore…

Update 170601:
I finally finished sending all the papers needed to the last (hopefully) department. The license should appears within 5 - 30 working days (they say). I went to the warehouse to check if those Nichias were still in good conditions or not….they’re moved deeper to another warehouse because nobody claimed for the last 30 days (WTF!). I checked again, well they’re still in good (dusty) condition. Fortunately Nichia overdo the packing so they’re safe. I will have to pay the warehouse rent later, it’s USD 0,25/kg/day (6,4kg total).
Then I saw an approx. 10 meters high aluminum boxes piling there, multiply that with the rental cost……

- Clemence

Good luck with the fuss Clemence.

If anyone decided not to use their 219B SW45K [4500K ANSI BBL]9080 I would like to buy them off you.

Please send me a PM!

What would I sue them for? False advertising? But they do what they say they do!

Buyer’s (or rather not-buyer’s regret) has set in. I should’ve picked up a few of the 219c sm573s, the 5700k ones. Anybody have any they’re not using? I’d buy as few as 1, or more if you want to get rid of them. US preferred, for shipping reasons.

Or any chance of another buy on these coming up soon?

On a related note, would anybody in the US or EU like to sell me some 144As with or without MCPCBs? I tend to prefer neutral (4000-5000K) color temperatures, but I’ll consider others. I’m looking for 1-6 of them, as I currently have three lights that could use them, but more will likely come along.