Getting my feet wet in modding - Ultrafire Q5 & SK98

Thank you for the post. So is an XP-E inferior to the XML T6 that’s suppose to be in the light? It seems that way but I don’t know.

I placed an order with Richard this afternoon based on the links above. I just ordered this as well: KD 20mm (External) x 17.1mm (Inner) Copper Ring Adapter for 17mm Circuit Board - 5 PCS

Not sure how long it will take to get them air mail from HK? But excited to work on this project. It’ll be good experience.

An XP-E can be a good emitter for a thrower. It will output fewer lumens, but if it's a quality XP-E driven properly, would have a higher surface brightness, giving you better throw with a smaller hotspot.

Although, I've had several XP-Es that come in cheaper lights turn out to be much dimmer than my older XR-E lights. I'm not sure if they are low-bin emitters or counterfeits.

An XP-E is similar to an old XR-E with a smaller dome and without the collar.

Thank you. So if it isn’t a T6 then the ad isn’t delivering what they advertised. Both these lights are noticeably dimmer than the first SK98 I purchased and as noted, dimmer that the SK68 as well.

If you got a XPE instead of a XML light, perhaps you can get a partial refund. Also it looks like you can resistor mod the driver…or if you want direct drive, you and bridge across one of the sense resistors.

I contacted the seller. We’ll see what they say/offer. Only paid like $9 for both so I’m not going to cry over it. But I would reflect it in the rating because it isn’t what was advertised. At any rate I’ll use these as learning test beds as I step further into modding.

Kinda excited about it. I know the driver/stars from Richard will arrive fairly quickly (the other stars I ordered only took like 4 days). Don’t know about the 17mm to 20mm rings though as I’ve not ordered from them before. Gives me time to work on the other F13 so that’s fine. Putting a star from Richard in it (same as the first one and liked the results).

Does this page help ID the wee beastie?

wait…did you just say wee beastie?

:smiley:

Thanks for posting that page, excellent resource :slight_smile:

Update: Seller gave me $4 back so basically I got two SK98’s for $5 and change. I can live with that, particularly since I was going to use them as test beds to learn how to mod anyway.

So here’s the results :slight_smile:

The Q5 host worked wonderfully with M.E.’s Qlite 8*7135 driver and the Noctigon star listed above. But it did get hot. I compared it with the Convoy S2+ I just got last week from Simon that has the 3*7135 driver. The Q5 light was of course brighter but I wouldn’t say it was head-n-shoulders above the Convoy. Both are very bright lights. But the Q5 host of course got a lot hotter. So I ordered a couple of Qlite 4*7135 drivers from Richard. I figured the 1.4A would give comparable performance to the Convoy S2, which I thought was rather nice. Plus it would have the longer run times that I’m looking for in a personal light such as this. I’ll swap them tomorrow and give them a side-by-side test with the Convoy S2.

I did one of the SK98’s tonight when I got home from work. I’ve had the Qlite 8*7135 drivers and the Noctigon stars for a while but had to wait for the 17mm to 20mm copper rings to come in, which they did yesterday. Well it was a success! Soldered it all together, applied Silver Arctic where I could and then polished and lubed all the threads. Tossed in an 18650 and headed outside. I soldered the second star as I wanted L/M/H/Strobe/Beacon in this light. All worked great. High allowed me to shine it on focus on a tree probably 100 yards away with ease. Even on focus it throws a big square spot, which again for a light like this I like. Very satisfied and a BIG THANK YOU you to all that contributed to the thread with your suggestions. Couldn’t have done it without your experience, suggestions and links. Thank you :slight_smile:

Finished the second SK98 this morning. Works great!

Swapped the drivers on the Q5 host to the 4*7135. Works but I can’t get the modes I want yet. Only getting L, M, H and not the strobe and beacon. I’ll try the second driver and host and see what happens.