Giveaway for The smallest flashlight in the world - What would you want in the way of features, size, etc ( winners picked)

(1). If you could buy the smallest flashlight in the world, what would you use it for?

Answer: Maybe keychain or bedside torch

(2). If you have a very small light that you consider it as being in the smallest flashlight category, what are the advantages and disadvantages that you see with the light? What special features stand out that make it special to you?

Answer: I’ve got a couple which are quite small - Thrunite Ti3 and the Astrolux A01 - the advantage is the small size. Special feature with the Ti3 is the moonlight mode, the A01 is the premium copper body.

(3). What is the price range that you would want to spend, for a tiny light, with the features you would like?

Answer: No more than $15 USD please.

(4). What specific functions do you want, to fit into the price range you are looking at?

Answer: Definitely a moonlight mode. Easy to recharge if internal or use a common battery.

1. Keychain to go with my car keys
2. It must be small so you can have it in your pockets at all time. I have Nitecore Tubes for that purpose today.
3. 10 USD
4. Low and High (no more modes, please). LiPo with USB-charging would be nice

Kind regards

1 in a pocket of a summer coat or business jacket since it won’t bulge.
I don’t like it on keys because IG scratching

2 I have a few BLF AAA specials and like the small size.

3 idk depends I paid $20 for a full copper one but $6 for a that GBGB Nichia.

4 two modes are ideal low and high.

(1). If you could buy the smallest flashlight in the world, what would you use it for?

Keychain use - finding kids toys under car seats at night, using while navigating dark paths at night after a few drinks down the pub etc.

(2). If you have a very small light that you consider it as being in the smallest flashlight category, what are the advantages and disadvantages that you see with the light? What special features stand out that make it special to you? if you have a small light, please share it here

I have a Blackwater Kite AL. It is only 4.3CM long.
Advantages: Its light, its small, its USB rechargable, beam is good on high.
Disadvantages: Head comes loose on occasion, and it needs a middle mode, as high does NOT last long with a 10180 battery.

(3). What is the price range that you would want to spend, for a tiny light, with the features you would like?

I paid $20 for the Blackwater Kite… Similar price would be good. I would pay a little more if it was just as small and had some sort of “switch”.

(4). What specific functions do you want, to fit into the price range you are looking at?

• It needs to be light - Aluminium is the lightest
  • It needs to be USB rechargable built in
  • 3 modes, nicely spaced (5 lumen, 40 lumen, 120 lumen)
  • Would like a “side-button” rather than a “twisty head” so that the head doesnt come off! This might affect the size though.

1: keychain would be the best
2: The advantage: there is always with me. Cons: low battery life, low brightness.
3: up to $ 10
4: moonlight mode and 100% mode, is good to have a continuous variable brightness. Use the built-in battery as nitecore tube or use AAA batteries. Be aluminum, or stainless steel housing.

Mainly I’ll gift it to my loved ones

(2). If you have a very small light that you consider it as being in the smallest flashlight category, what are the advantages and disadvantages that you see with the light? What special features stand out that make it special to you? if you have a small light, please share it here

I own a Fenix E05 and they are very useful for my jobs. Small lights are easier to bite on and if they have a pocket clip they can be used on a cap as a headlight. But knowing that they are small they tend to go missing or the battery dies fast

Maximum $10. Single mode will do unless there is a low/high

Pocket clip that points away from the reflector for me to clip them on baseball cap

1. As an EDC to fit in pocket.
2. Advantages are small and lightweight, disadvantage are lower power.
3. £10 max.
4. High, low & Moonlight mode.

>>(1). If you could buy the smallest flashlight in the world, what would you use it for?
EDC keychain/neck chain light. All purpose close range light. Showoff light :stuck_out_tongue: Light producing jewellery:)

>>(2). If you have a very small light that you consider it as being in the smallest flashlight category, what are the advantages and disadvantages that you see with the light? What special features stand out that make it special to you? if you have a small light, please share it here

Current 10180 lights have no low voltage indication/protection and rechargeable ones have too high charging current.

>>(3). What is the price range that you would want to spend, for a tiny light, with the features you would like?
$15 for aluminium version
$20 for stainless version
$30 for titanium

More if has all features from the list below:

>>(4). What specific functions do you want, to fit into the price range you are looking at?
hight priority features:

• low voltage protection/indication
  • knurling on the head but not sharp to tear anything
  • tail stand design with magnet and ability to wear as necklace (centered hole) - examples below
  • 3 modes with moonlight, low to high order
  • high efficiency circuit for low modes (not to waste limited battery charge for heat)
  • high frequency PWM (to not see any stroboscopic effect in low modes) or no PWM at all
  • hidden beacon mode (slow strobe)
  • TIR optics/reflector to offer some throw (as opposed to DQG spy for example)
  • multiple material option: aluminium, stainless steel, titanium with different colors (matte titanium and blue anodized titanium)
  • standard rechargeable battery size (eg. 10180 li-ion), no coin batteries
  • good machining quality, no sharp edges, no mismatched parts (gaps etc.)
  • clean brand name/logo (more on that below)

optional:

• titanium screw-in clip (in the style of convoy screw clip - screws mounted to tail cut-outs)
  • not glued head to facilitate modding
  • high CRI LED option
  • tritium slots/mounting option
  • push-button tailcap option (additonal to magnet one) to convert from twisty to button mode
  • micro USB rechargeable as an option/longer version
  • safe(low) charging current for micro USB rechargeable light

I like DQG spy design very much, but it offers no throw

Tail design I would like to see is this (+ring magnet for tail):

Ideally I would want something looking exactly like DQG Spy but with TIR optics and aforementioned tail with magnet.

Please do not use any *fire name nor Comic Sans fonts or similar. Ideally make a poll here before you decide on the logo to put on these.
I for one will never buy something called Monkey Boner (even two ‘clever’ swapped letters doesn’t matter, especially if the light looks like it).
Any *fire is bad (Soonfire is leading here :slight_smile: ) , Blackwater Kite is bad because of font and model name.
The light has to look overall good to be considered for gifts.

1. A Keychain light
2. Adv.: light and small, easy to carry. Disadv.: low runtime
3. $10-$15
4. NW, moonlight, medium + turbo-high(less than 1min), AAA/10440 (or even AA/14500 within affordable size format, like dqg AA)

Keychain, EDC

Nichia high cri led, maybe steel, no PWM driver

15 - 20 if Nichia, steel, no PWM; 10 max if not

Nichia, 2 or 5 lumens low, 3 modes, no strobe, AAA/10440 battery, no PWM

1. Necklace (if it's small enaugh) or Keychain.
  2. Advantages: Small, easy to carry. Disadvantages: Low runtime. Special features: Have slots for tritium vials.
  3. $19.9
  4. Three Modes (Moonlight - Medium - Hi), Li-Ion Battery, Built-in MicroUSB Charger, TIR Optics, IPX8 Waterproof, Tail-Stand Ability.
  5. ;) I have this (from GearBest) :

1 I would use it as a back-up light, maybe mount it to my dirtbike, bicycle, or tuck it in car.

2 I have alumintop tool aaa. I like that the tail has a magnet, I do not like the lack of tail swtitch, or side switch. twist on/off is not my favorite. I would prefer neutral to warm led tint

3 I would not want to spend over $15

4 I like warm LED, side, or tail switch, low voltage cut-off ( if lion,) durable threads.
thanks, have a good day

I would use it as a keychain light as emergency.

(2). If you have a very small light that you consider it as being in the smallest flashlight category, what are the advantages and disadvantages that you see with the light? What special features stand out that make it special to you? If you have a small light, please share it here.
Advantages: Easy to carry everywhere. Usually cheap.
Disadvantages: Lower brightness. Short runtimes. Easy to get lost.

Up to $50 USD, depending on the material used, quality and features of course.

TIR optic for a nice beam while staying compact. Rechargeable. Made of anodised aluminium for good durability, good heat dissipation, and low cost. Or Titanium for maximum durability, while still keeping the weight down; also some cool surface finishes can be had on titanium.

1). If you could buy the smallest flashlight in the world, what would you use it for?

Keychain light so that it was always with me.

The smallest light I have is a Fenix P2D which my wife uses as a purse light. She really likes the light and it is always handy. It is too big to mount on a key chain but it puts out plenty of light.

$25.00 ish

200 lumens, moonlight mode, USB rechargeable.

bob

Pocket-carry.

Size and weight are the obvious benefits. I break down “smallest” into two categories:

In the AAA format, I have a few such lights. My smallest is the 4sevens Atom A0.

In the button-cell format, I have some Nite Ize ZipLit lights that fit on a jacket pocket zipper. Very small, but really not that useful.

$5-$15.

Preferably something that takes a AAA rechargeable Eneloop battery. Two modes: a moonlight (1 lumen), and a modest high output (25-50 lumens). Preferably a tail clicky, or a very reliable twisty mechanism.

I’d love a two-mode version of the BLF-348 you sell, and make it shorter. You can omit the pocket-clip.

A couple of points to ponder.

It has been stated that light weight is an issue and aluminum is the lightest. Is it? Titanium is very strong, can be made very thin walled and maintain an excellent strength to weight ratio, while aluminum is much more likely to get smashed in small thin battery tube configurations. Aluminum will also wear the ano off and look ugly, Ti will wear better and last longer. Ti will also drive up the price, of course.

It has also been stated that small tiny lights can’t be bright. Why? Direct drive from an FET driver can make a small light very surprisingly bright, eye opening hot, and of course, battery draining.

Titanium and direct drive, my 2 points to ponder.

Ala, the MBI HF with a 10250 Nuke (proprietary cell designed and made specifically for this light), a direct drive Titanium XM-L2 light that is fully capable of 500 lumens. Very tiny, very potent. Reflectored, not exactly having throw but surprising nonetheless. The MBI HF is not readily available at many places, but this shows it CAN be done!

Shown here in Copper alongside the IlluminaTi and MagLite 2D with accompanying cells…

I don’t understand why so many people here talks about AAA sized lights… Those are by far not the smallest lights and not exactly smallest in the world… Come on guys, there is already tons of AAA/10440 light to choose from whereas 10180 based lights choice is very limited on the other hand. There are also small keychain size light like Nitecore Tube or Mecarmy SGN3 with prismatic rechargeable li-ions. Smallest in the world category could also encompass coin battery based lights.

@gearbest: please clarify what format do you have in mind so this discussion was not pointless, because I feel we are talking many different things here that are mutually exclusive.

” Key chain light - always there when you have your keys, use for lighting keyholes and lighting your path.”
(2). If you have a very small light that you consider it as being in the smallest flashlight category, what are the advantages and disadvantages that you see with the light? What special features stand out that make it special to you? if you have a small light, please share it here.
” I have the Nitecore Tube. You will be hard-pressed to surpass this one. It is small, USB-rechargeable, 1 click for 1 lumen/2 clicks for 45 lumens, hold button for ramp up and down and mode memory. It also has a decent run time for the uses of a key chain light. All for less than $10!”
” As stated above, less than $10.”
” It has to be very small to fit on a key chain (AAA size battery is much too large), rechargeable, easy to use and provide as much light as possible. You would have to best the Nitecore Tube in either price (for the same lumens) or lumens (for the same price) or both, a difficult task!”

I would wear it around my neck on my ID lanyard to always have it handy to check the status of emergency equipment at work

Wearable, lightweight

Up to $20

It would be nice to have a micro-usb charging port… also, few or 1 mode.

1. Keychain or neck light.
2. I don’t have a light that I would consider to fit the smallest category. The smallest I have is Maratac AAA and the disadvantage with that light is PWM.
3. $10
4. High CRI and low voltage protection.