Global warming... it's happening!

so we can watch them get drunk

Well, if you are watching those videos and having to shower 4-5 times per day, I’d say you do have a problem with heat, but a different type of problem :wink:

Oh you got me there. :bigsmile:

” In 2007, for instance, public records revealed that the energy consumption at his Nashville home was 20 times the national average. ”

Al Gore has gone from a self reported less than 2 million dollars in 2000, to between 200 and 300 million dollars today.

His conspicuous consumption is displayed in massive energy consumption, palatial estates and a 100 foot house boat, and jet skis, limousines, etc.

When someone makes up to 300 million dollars in 13 years, I have to think that they are putting some thought into it.

(My previous satire was just poking fun at those who deny the evidence of science in order to have faith in stories that are not supported by evidence). I think you just opened up a whole new topic.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-10-07/great-scam-americas-richest-politicians-get-richer-democrat-republican-wealth-conver

http://blog.chron.com/hottopics/2012/08/tour-the-many-homes-of-mitt-romney/#4083-1

http://www.businessinsider.com/al-gore-wealth-money-current-sale-al-jazeera-2013-5

:bigsmile: :stuck_out_tongue: :open_mouth:

I think what the other seven billion humans are doing plays more of a role in what's happening than Al Gore's power bill.

We as a species seem unable to do anything at all that doesn't require burning something. In less than 150 years we've burned a good portion of all the fossilized sunlight that accumulated over the past 300 million years. There are seven billion of us, all burning one thing or another to do things we just accept as normal everyday life. We are currently in the middle of an extinction event progressing at a more rapid pace than the extinction event that wiped out the dinosaurs. It's happening right now. But, I guess all that is complete nonsense if you believe the universe is 6000 years old and the earth is flat and lib'rul scientists made up global warming to get rich off all that sweet, sweet grant money.

Not at all Illuminatee, your post was about Al Gore’s post political, energy career, that is what my post 43 was about.

Al Gore has not been giving away his money, instead he went from less than 2 million dollars to around 250 to 300 million dollars in only 12 or 13 years, and he consumes energy at the level of a small community of families.

Global Warming means nothing to a lot of people. It means something to others and probably a handful of people on earth actually have a good clue about what is happening.

Logic would tell me that mankind as a whole has a disrupted the natural cycles of the earth so quickly that we will never survive the results, that we are just beginning to feel. Remember how many humans are here on earth. Look at all the destruction that we have caused since the start of the industrial revolution.... See, for most all of us, we can't comprehend that we can possibly have such a big affect, but just take one single family unit, (say 8 people), from 1900 to the present. Just take that one family and look at how much they wasted and destroyed for 113 years. If you could figure out that waste, misuse, destruction, pollution from producing everything they have bought and used for that time, loss of habitat and resources, human waste, animal waste from raising food, garbage, etc, etc, etc... If you could figure out how all of that and multiply it into the expanded size of that one family through that 113 years, then you might start to understand the scope of what humans have done to the earth and just how huge the impact really has been.

But, we don't want to know, we don't want to think about it, we have shown time and time again that we just don't care and we can't organize well enough on a global level to set up any effective or long term boundaries, limits or restraints. We never will. We are what we are, but to say we aren't responsible for making the planet we live on into a planet that will soon be inhabitable by any living species, is just foolishness and a lack of responsibility. It's closing our eyes to the problem and going about our business as we damn well see fit and to hell with it....

Humans:

We don't act with reason, we act with emotion and use reason to justify our actions afterwords. I think Ben Franklin coined something like that, but it's the one big truth that explains most of what we are.

A cluster of false logic hangs above!

Because you cannot control something, it does not mean you cannot influence it. That is false logic that should need no explaining. There are a million things we aren’t in control of that we can influence, but here is an easy one: you cant argue because we cant control death, that we cant cause it.

Likewise, because a cycle happens naturally does not mean you can’t influence the cycle, making it happen faster/more erratically/more intensely. This is more false logic. That something happened before in a cycle, is not proof of it being natural now. You should know this as a flashoholic: you can make the day look like night and its not natural :wink:

That we are “not important” as the reason for climate change not being able to be due to humans is the last false argument in your statement. A single microscopic algal cell cannot change a beach environment, yet a billion can choke it with green growth, absorb all the oxygen and kill the other life in the area. One cancer cell in your body will not cause you to die, but a few 100,000 or million can.

However, to think of your relative unimportance before posting on facebook…I cant argue with that one :smiley:

Gore is a side issue and doesnt really have bearing on global warming. Yeah he’s a wasteful politician just like they all are. Republicans/Democrats are very very close in most everything they do…but they get regular people to fight over small differences between them while they rake in the money…check again how much each on BOTH sides profit while in office… However, that does not mean they don’t touch on some real issues, and because one is as slimy as another, it doesn’t mean part of what they talk about can’t have some truth.

Think about this too: if you KNEW in your heart of hearts something was true, the world was about to end! So you get together with a group of people with power…and nobody wants to listen to you and do anything about it…they are all focused on increasing their money. So you try to do something yourself, and are ignored. You try to get more power, but are rejected. Meanwhile, they are all increasing in wealth…what would you do? Well I think if you are like most people, you’d join in and at least make some money too. Its slimy, but hey, you told them…nobody listened…just try again every once in a while… This kinda sounds like Gore to me. The extent of how right he is is yet to be seen, but maybe he’s given up and having some fun? He’s not Jesus, he’s a sleazy politician who comes from money!! :stuck_out_tongue:

It was implied (earlier) that Gore was giving away his modest gains, the reality is that he has amassed a vast fortune for his recent activities and consumes energy like crazy.

But but... Al Gore is fat, therefore I'm gonna go burn a big pile of coal in my front yard.

What really gets me is that evolution has finally produced a species that is, technically at least, capable of preventing its own extinction. First time that's happened on this planet, and the thought of it, the sheer wonder of it, leaves me without words.

I think these two little snippets go together rather nicely:

“In Missouri when we go from winter to spring, that’s a good climate change. I don’t want to stop that climate change you know. Who in the world wants to put politicians in charge of the weather anyways?” — Todd Akin (R-of course), 2009

Joe had awakened to a world in crisis. The economy was in a state of deep neglect. A great dustbowl had ravaged food supplies. And the number-one movie in the country was called "ASS" - and that's all it was, for ninety minutes. <FARRRRRT> It won eight Oscars that year, including Best Screenplay. — Idiocracy, 2006

So much potential. Are we going to just throw it away?

I haven’t checked on the facts about him, but I’m not really surprised as I stated above if he did make a fortune and does use a ton of energy. In fact, when I think about it, if I was convinced of something and people werent listening to me, and I had the money and ability to make lots more money fast, I would. And I’d probably try to amass as much as possible as fast as possible and use it to make a difference in whatever way I thought I could, and if I couldnt, I’d use it to make myself and my family be able to survive what I saw coming…so who knows, maybe, just maybe, he really is not all sleazy politician, but a man with a plan…and has some idea he is working towards…or just ‘saving his family’…all I know is he’s probably not an angel, and making money just means he’s just acting like the others. It could also be he lost faith in people and said “well * you, you *’s I’m just going to make as much money as I can and live as well as I can since you are going to kill me off with global warming soon, I better enjoy what I can get.” But however you want to view him, it still doesnt change there was truth in what he talked about.

Another thing you arent thinking about: some people do what they preach. They do use energy yes, but to offset that they buy and set aside acreage to plant with carbon absorbing plants. They ‘pay’ for their use with ‘carbon credits’ type of idea. Do you know he’s not doing that or some type of offset like this? I wouldnt expect the man to live like a miser to prove he thinks the earth is warming…. :wink:

Actually he uses his wealth to buy 9 million dollar, energy guzzling homes and 100 foot boats and jet skis.

People have mentioned him using two limos for events when he takes family, and that he insists that they keep running the engine to have the temperature right for when they return to them, and of course private jets are necessary.

I remember reading Barbara Streisand’s environmental hint to us about using a clothes line to dry clothes, in that same year we learned that she was using $22,000.00 dollars worth of water annually in just one of her many homes, and had a 12,000 square foot, air-conditioned barn.

OK, thats what you say, I dont feel like looking it up to check right now, so lets assume you are 100% correct. So maybe he chose the “you ’s wont listen to me anyways so I’m going to make as much as I can and you all because you are going to kill off the earth!” So how does that change global warming?

That doesnt change the facts. Doesnt mean we should also just all give up, and it certainly doesnt mean its not happening because of one more rich guy misbehaving.

Where I used to live it was high 40s all summer (45-49c) and working outdoors in the sun it was often 50-60c.

The hottest official recorded temp while I was living there was 53c in the shade.

I lived in a double brick house that would stay hot all night and we didn’t have a air conditioner, one trick we used was to get the hose and wet the outside bricks and roof tiles at night time, it could lower the temp up to 10c to be a little more comfortable to sleep.

Now where I live its a lot cooler and rarely gets over 40c and I have a air conditioner, but now that I’m used to a air conditioner and cooler climate even 30c feels hot now.

Well, I don’t have FB because I’m acutely aware of my place in the universe. I don’t go around in a narcissistic state pretending people care about what I had for breakfast. :stuck_out_tongue: Which reminds me of this video.

Actually, the fact that I can’t influence means I can’t influence it.

As for the rest of it, I can explain it to you, but I can’t understand it for you. Assuming for moment that the earth is getting hotter, as evidence clearly suggests it does do from time to time, do you, B42, think man could stop it from happening? If we could magically get every human being to live a preindustrial agrarian lifestyle, would the earth stay at the perfect temp? What about the next ice age? Do you believe that mankind will ever have the power to prevent it? Sheer folly, my friend, sheer folly.

Humans can’t prevent the earth’s cycles, nor can they cause them. The earth will do as she wishes. If we become a burden, she will deal with us accordingly. But you singularly, or all of us collectively, can’t change, delay, or reverse whatever cycle we happen to be in at the moment.

But, hey, if believing scientists who have been caught fabricating data makes you feel otherwise…

At the end of the day, global warming is but a distraction. A red herring, if you will. I suggest, B42, that you Google “Human Farming”. Maybe then you realize you are on the wrong side of the fence.

STOP EDITING THIS POST EVERY 5 MINUTES, it breaks the 'go to first unread' link, especially now as the new replies are on the second page.

So, you’d have us believe that we can prevent our own extinction when we haven’t been able to prevent cancer… or the flu… or feed everybody… or…

One errant asteroid and it’s game over. Prevent our own extinction. That’s rich.