Going on a mountain hiking trip, what would you bring as a complementary flashlight to your headlamp?

I assume it all depends on what a hike / camp/ mountain really means .if you're climbing vs hiking than it's a different ball game / for a hike i'd say a xpg p60 is appropriate .. certainly the xeno and zebra are the right lights for the task ..maybe the wrong ime to be in a lumen war . people who don't know lights won't understand whay agreat light is the proper light vs sheer output .. just be consoled that we know you're doing the right thing even if they don't get it .

A casual night hike, I'd bring my TK41, with a Xeno E03 as a backup and an extra 14500 for it.

If I was overnighting/lugging the lights around for several days, I'd still keep the Xeno but substitute a nice P60 host with an XM-L dropin for the TK.

If I was hiking I probably would not want lights with different battery types. I would take my ufh3 (18650) and P60 light which takes 18650. If I wasn't hiking too far I'd probably take my skyray 3 xml, Xeno, dqg tiny 11, Ufh3 etc. Can't have too many lights. lol

It's usually 2-3 days trip and more on hiking with occasional scrambling using both hands. I already trimmed down my gears to 30lbs but still deciding on several options for other stuffs.

I still have a few months to prepare as my broken hand is not healing well.

Am really thankful to a lot of guys here helping me with a lot of things.

Kabayan. a little something from a fellow mountaineer.if your gonna use the flashlight for camp activities your xeno e03 or solarforce L2 with matching diffuser would do well. but if your doing a night trek thats a different story. i would use a angle light like a UF h-2/3. you can clip it to your backpacks chest stirrup or shoulder strap to provide you with a forward facing swath of light. flood beam is best so even if your headlamp hotspot keeps moving because your are constantly looking around, your front remains illuminated. warm tint is good since it brings out natural colors of the trail and flora better aiding in depth perception and gives us better footing and maintaining balance. i keep my hands free for my trek pole and for holding into branches or balancing myself.

or we can try the trek pole with the built in LED flashlight.

Thanks a lot for useful information, good to hear from a fellow mountaineer in the Philippines.

I actually carry my Zebralight H51 on my climbs, my perfect hiking buddy, my most used light actually, used a lot on my last climb (June2011) night trek. That's the only light coming with me again as I'm going to bring another set of lights like the Xeno E03 neutral, the only thing i'm not yet sure is what thrower light I'll bring on my next climb.

Even the tent will be replaced by a lighter one.

Old set up

Kabayan, Just realized something, You don't happen to climb Mt Maculot in January of 2009, are you? That's my first climb and the only time I saw climbers using a really bright lights. At that time I only have 3 lights and my brightest is a 9 led 3xAAA light. A group of guys arrived in camp at night using really bright lights that changed my perception of a bright light and that made me search for the best flashlight I could afford. Ever since, I have never encountered any fellow mountaineer with lights brighter than mine, none even came close. It would have been cool to encounter a fellow flashaholic in a climb, talking about flashlights.

Negative sir.pero it was the same month nung 1999 that we went to Maculot for our last preparatory climb before we go to Halcon for the induction climb. there was two of us i think who had the new (at that time) LED headlamps. I had the Blackdiamond and my friend had the Tikka version yata. we tried it out sa climb na yun to assess its effectiveness since its cool white temperature was different from the incans headlamps commonly used then. dyahe nga at nagbubulungan mga campers beside us dahil malakas yata yung gamit namin and first time to see white lights too. Got to experience using the incans and LED's in Halcon under the worst weather possible .... at night pa!!

Thats where i saw the advantage of warm or neutral tints.

You got PM bro.

Sir you've been longtime mountaineer na pala. love to know your set up, do you bring big lights? how big?

PM sent.