Good Book Thread

I like horror stories

I recently acquired “Wayne Goddard’s $50 Knife Shop”
While this is not a book to actually setup a full pro shop for $US 50, it showcases how to make things work with tools you already have.

The Man Who Climbs Trees by James Aldred.

I’m a reformed audiobook uploader butt still can’t resist D/Ling anything by Preston & Child. Pendergast is numero uno pseudo FBI Xfiles goto guy. He got written out of the 1st and only movie and I curse the ppl responsible for scuttling the perfect blockbuster series that it could have been iffn he was featured. How NOT to begin a longterm series…leave out its most impressive character…DUH!!! As long as Tom Cruise didn’t buy the rights to play a tall slender pale wraithlike figure with southern charm and New Orleans privileged upbringing.

Lincoln Rhyme got similar short shrift by the perpetrators of the 1999 movie version of “The Bone Collector” which changed just about everything that author Jeffery Deaver had envisioned in his 15 episodes which were excellent and received great reviews. I feel for the authors, although I also feel they sold out by not retaining control over their creations.

Would that I had to make those kinds of creative/monetary decisions in my life. Just keep those characters alive as envisioned, please, and I’ll be happy with my headphones.

Recently I read one interesting book – One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. The most famous novel by Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude tells the story of the Buendia family, who lives in the mythical town of Macondo, the metaphoric Colombia. Nice story which I will recommend you to read in free time. P. S I am bad college essay writer

I haven't read many good books in my life, but I liked The Princess Bride a lot.

It's even better than the movie.

Mmmm that spam post (was eventually removed) was nice to revive this thread so i can add Craig Johnson (just to talk about 'murican writers ;) )

The Name of the Wind- Patrick Rothfuss, 1st book in The Kingkiller Chronicle. The 2nd book, The Wise Man’s Fear is also good. He’s pulling a George R.R. Martin though and slowly working on the final book.

I also enjoyed Joe Abercrombie’s First Law Trilogy, pretty fast paced and bloody.

:+1: :+1:
And what about catch22? I forgot the name of the writer….

Agree with Name of the Wind. That’s the best new fantasy novel I’ve read in years. I thought he lost a step on the second book though. I’m hoping the third book is more like the first (if I live long enough to read it lol).

I used to think that audiobooks weren’t for me but a recent experience has changed that.
Listened to The Obesity Code by dr. Jason Fung, narrated by Brian Nishi, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
At 53 I thought that 308 pounds was my fate but this book gave me enough information to finally, after so many years with little success from traditional diets, find a method that allows me to control my weight. I started intermittent fasting August 22 and I’m still working towards a healthy weight. Just weighed in at 225 (down 83lbs) and expect to be at my 6th grade weight by the 1 year mark.
Every system in my body was failing, blood pressure was sky-high, knees were going, etc.
So if you have problems controlling your weight I whole-heartedly recommend listening to the audiobook. The actual book is equally informative but not nearly as entertaining. Brian Nishi is a superb narrator.

PM if you have any questions.
Robert

Congratulations! Keep up the good work, and enjoy your new and healthier life.

My current read:
Thomas J. Stanley_ Sarah Stanley Fallaw - The Next Millionaire Next Door_ Enduring Strategies for Building Wealth-Lyons Press (2018)

I enjoyed these as well. They’re a bit cringey at times with the pining after the one that got away stuff, but otherwise very entertaining.

reading a classic currently - John Steinbeck, Of Mice And Men

I’m In the middle of Moby Dick right now. I tend to go back and forth between classics and junk, fiction and non-fiction.

Current favorite authors are

Jeff Edwards who writes detective and naval fiction.

AJ Scudiere who writes a whole range of stuff from action to sci fi to detective novels.

Arthur Bradley who has a fun series of post apocalyptic stories.

Not so long ago I read great books. You can find out more about it here bookkooks.com/mans-searching-for-meaning-review I think that it will be interesting for every guy. But it is better to first read the description.

If you like history,

Longitude by Dava Sobel

Galileo’s Daughter - same author

Joseph Heller. The Catch-22 audiobook is fantastic.

I’d highly recommend “God Bless You Mr. Rosewater” and “Player Piano” by Vonnegut too.

1984 by George Orwell. I also want to become a writer. But unfortunately I did not get to bring your book to the end. But I’m working on myself. I read and write a lot. I also buy essays from the service superbpaper review . This helps me a lot.