good budget Neutral AAA w/ moon light?

Thanks for the info, I was not aware of that trick. :+1:

Update: A01 finally arrived from Bg. Dissappointed that it does indeed have NMM. Gamble didnt pay off. Insructions contradict it. Shame.

Pencil trick go?

I opened up the head and saw 3 caps. Do i mark all three?

I wouldn’t think so… Only one cap has to be altered, but can’t tell which one.
If you post a close up pict of the driver someone knowledgeable will certainly tell.

Regarding the original question in the OP, I think that the Manker E02 ticks all the boxes except that it is slightly over budget: very good output on NiMh and alkaline, high CRI 4000K Nichia 219C led and great moonlight (the m.l. level is actually user selectable from 14 levels which is kind of neat). For the rest: the user interface is one of the best I’ve seen, it has the magnet, it tailstands, has 2 types of lock-out, and is affordable at just under $20. And pretty a-typical: it is a Manker flashlight that as far as I’ve found has no flaws .

It’s a really cute light indeed!
A tad expensive for a AAA though.
I’ll wait for a flash sale or else.

BTW: does it handle ‘properly’ 10440 or is it AAA only?

From Trevi lux’s review:

I marked the cap that was on the emmiter side of the driver and it worked!! Gotta love this forum. Hope it stays like this. Thanks to all who mentioned the pencil trick.

That is so cool! Using old tech to solve problems with new tech. Gotta love whoever figured out that fix!

It’s really too bad they changed the A01, though. It was such a good light in the earlier releases. (I have a few of them.)

does anybody have a link to a how to do this pencil fix on the A01, for somebody with essentially nil experience pulling flashlights apart?

i really like my A01 except for the next mode memory, which is killing me. i’m considering getting the Manker original or the Thrunite Ti3…

Following

No pix, but instead of flat rectangular “plates” with things like “R020” on it or whatnot, a cap will typically be a little taller, more “cubic”.

Take a pencil, just draw a line from one electrode to the other, and try it out. It nothing, “erase” it and try it on another cap. Shouldn’t be more than 2, usually just 1.

Ain’t gonna break anything unless you yank out one of the wires or something, so 1-2 attempts is usually all it takes.

I haven’t done it on a A01, but i’ve taken apart my copper one a few times to ‘age’ it… You’ll need needle ends tweezers to reach the two small holes in the driver and unscrew it to get everything out. Then it’s a matter of finding that “cap on the emitter side”… Sorry, can’t help more then that.

I used this pencil tip to fix my Astrolux A01 ->

https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/77bugs/astrolux_a01_next_mode_memory_fix/

Thank you very much for the guy (BingoThink) who made the tutorial.

Oh, that’s great, thanks! I dunno how Astrolux have failed to fix this given it has been an issue for months and months and the feedback is all over the Banggood reviews

RIP my A01, the positive connection on the driver end broke when i was manipulating the wires to get to the driver… and i can’t be bothered attempting the necessary surgery to bring it back. maybe i’ll just get the damn Manker.

I had several A01’s,three purple and a couple of black and gray. Only the purple worked correctly. The black and gray would flicker and sometimes not go to the correct mode. I cleaned the heads and the inner body of the lights to no avail. My own preference is to forget that light. It is a good price, small, and has a very low moon mode. However its unreliability makes a deal breaker.

Although not so low moon mode my favorite budget light is the Tank 007 e01. I have never had a single problem with one, and have bought and gifted at least 20.
I wish the Astrolux was reliable.

Jerry

So sad to hear, i’m waiting for mine in the mail :cry:

I bought a bunch of A01s from BG, all came with NMM... I will try the pencil trick when I have some time. Thanks for sharing!!