good flashlight host for you

Nice host Simon. To be clear, you accept PayPal directly for a light? I’d like one at $18.63 as stated in the OP. Thanks.

I am too in the phase of finding hosts with easy / straight conversions to MTG2.

I chose to try this flashlight from BG because it is a complete flashlight (driver + emitter) with just a few dollars more, thinking that the stock driver might be handy.

Because this flashlight is meant to run on 18650x2 batteries on series, most probably it has buck driver, which based on my experience, should be able to handle MT-G2 with no problem. The only issue with stock driver is the ampere can be a bit limited, might be enough to drive well XM-L (for which the driver is originally designed), but not enough for MT-G2 (unless the driver responds well to resistor mod).

So, a few days ago, EMS delivered the flashlight and I started working on it. Until now, what I did is just swapped emitter to MT-G2 on copper board, while keeping the driver stock. And to answer the question, yes, it can drive MT-G2, the max tail current that I can get with two protected NCR18650 is 2A, judging by the brightness, I think it is not too bad.

Somebody says to fully tap the potential of MT-G2, it has to be driven beyond 5A. Hm… I think it is time to find those tiny resistors… or even FETs…

dnky, what does the mth beam profile look like in this light?

I don’t know if this is what you are looking for (distance is about 2 meter).

It has quite a well defined hot spot, which is a good sign that the reflector is suitable for the emitter?
I find out that, even driven at comparatively marginal current of 2A, for normal use, it is bright enough for me, even comparing to my other MT-G2 flashlights driven at higher current (eg: 4A) which have larger bright spots.

Emitter in the reflector (distance is roughly 20 cm), the emitter is reflected all over the reflector (which is another good sign?)

That’s pretty nice:) Thanks for the pic! Are the tiles white? What’s your other MTG light? PM me if that’s ok. Don’t want to pollute Simon’s thread with OT chat.

The tiles are light brown.

I left a new post in a more related thread, listing my other MT-G2 lights.

Btw, if it is anything useful to someone, here is how it looks like, under the reflector.

To deal with the clearance issue under the reflector,
I use some copper sheets and Kapton tape.

yes ,accept

Is this out of stock, or just dis-continued? Looks like only 2 sold - sorry, wish it could have sold better...

completer Flashlight - BUT: Glued together the part where the pill screws in and the head.
Haven’t got it apart, even with heat.

I got the BG one - working on it now with a XHP-70, 22mm DD+1 wight driver, zener mod. Pill came out with no problem - don't think there was glue at all. Having problems with the firmware right now

The Pill comes out easily - But the Head is in fact 2 parts - screwed and glued together ( at least in mine light).
Page one, picture 2 from up - I can’t get the head apart like that.

Ahh, ok - but it's not a factor in modding the light, I don't think? Don't think mine will break there either, but didn't try hard. I've seen lots of lights that appear to have break-points in the same general area, but never have been able to get them apart there as well. Sometimes in the pill-less designs, if you could get it apart there it would give you access to the pill cavity in order to add some heat sinking. I always thought those break-points are press fit glued, and not threaded, but from the pics, this one is definitely threaded with an o-ring.

Think the BG Rocher and Simon's host here are identical, but less risk with Simon's, and he either seems to verify the quality before shipping, or gets them from a more reliable source. He probably didn't stock these, or only had a couple to see if they would sell, and apparently didn't.

In that same vane, I was wondering if prepaid VISA would work on AliExpress.

Worked for me.