Good Light for a Bug-Out Bag - Suggestions?

technically, you could; if the opponent would keep still while you were grinding the pine cone into his eye socket.

Given location, I’d suggest a low enough draw and/or enough unused batteries safely stored for at least 48 hours of run time for 72 hours planned clock time. Solar recharging in winter may well be inadequate - what is acceptable in survival plan may not be for 72 hours of unknown evac/staging where you may need to stay on the move or post round the clock watches or tend to others with medical needs.

If you don’t regularly use your bug-out lights (on person and/or in a gear/survival kit you always on hand), I’d suggest considering very low discharge batts (lithium primaries). Even if you do, you probably want LSD as unused spares in the bug-out bag.

Also a good idea to put a bag check on a calendar or reminder that will alert you at least every 6 months to update/improve your bag.

Now here’s a guy that really knows what he’s talking about. Don’t listen to any other “you probably won’t need it because if you have a firearm….” bizarro non-sensical ridiculous philosophy based on the assumption someone can predict the outcome of every unique fight or flight event (Including the misplaced assumption that said semi-auto firearm/ammo/mag will function or be terminally effective 100% of the time under all conditions - because it won’t.) when in fact that’s exactly why you should have it given all other alternatives.

If it’s readily there to use as a dual-purpose device, it’s affordable, it doesn’t encumber your other provisions, or slow you down, and you can basically live with it, then by all the heck means include it. It costs you essentially nothing. That’s a good deal.

Anything that works with AA Lithium primary cells, and a few dozen of those — for before you have time to check or charge anything when you just need light right now reliably in bad conditions.

You might look at a Xeno E03. Runs on anything AA-sized, from 1.2V NiMH to 3.7v Lithium Ions. AA size is a good choice for emergency use, as they are the size that you are most likely to be able to find, no matter where you are.

Pete

Sorry nanook about the CCW mention, I didn’t know about your local firearm laws.

I assumed the strike bezel mention inferred travel after dark. My experience has been some of the less prepared are also out after dark in a disruption of our normal lives. They are probably looking to improve their circumstances too.

I would either not travel at night, or be prepared for a bigger fight than I could resolve by myself.

In July 2006, St. Louis sustained a massive blackout, estimates between 300,000 and 500,000 homes were without power for days. Several of my neighbors left the neighborhood by the second night. The home break-ins started the third night.

Over the next couple of days, my wife and I, saw/heard two or three groups of people walking around in the dark. I didn’t have any need to find out who they were.

At the time the only flashlight I had was a 5C cell Maglite.

I’d much rather avoid an encounter than confront it hand to hand.

I was advocating preparedness, and I still contend if you find yourself contemplating the defensive use of a flashlight strike bezel, you have already made several rather big mistakes to get to that point in the first place.

I modify my lights to either replace or machine down the strike bezel. I don’t carry my lights in a pouch and the sharp edges are hard on my clothes and such.

I do understand the “multi-tasker” idea, but I would like you to include a first-aid kit of whatever size you see fit.

I saw a short Youtube video about BOB’s that I really liked, but have yet to implement. It’s most important idea was to amass your gear and then find an appropriate sized bag, instead of choosing a bag and filling it. The author said “You WILL fill the bag”, “get the right sized bag”.

Lumatic,

Since I am the only one that has mentioned adding a firearm to nanook’s BOB,

I’d like to sincerely apologize for anything that I might have said to push your “buttons” about including a firearm.

What I hear from your post sounds like the response of a “hater”.

I’d rather not post this in the forum, but since you felt the need to throw rocks, here are my thoughts. BTW next time you have the urge to flame someone, have the guts to PM me, OK?

Since you’ve never met me, I can tell you, if we meet in some calamity, YOU won’t know whether I’m the one carrying a firearm or not. It’s not some toy carried to embolden my behavior, but rather about 30 ounces of tools that I hope to have no need for, along with my first-aid kit and toilet paper.

Thankfully I live in a place that doesn’t require your permission to govern my lawful behavior.

As a matter of fact, I think it’s a bit amusing. You use your 1st Amendment Rights to besmirch my 2nd Amendment Rights, (be careful, don’t shoot your mouth off) ! That’s OK, even if you do, I’ll support your right to do it!

Some people hate things, perhaps out of fear. There are people that fear spiders and snakes. It doesn’t make them bad, they’re just spiders and snakes.

I truly hope that you can cash the check I hear you writing, if not your chance to use your “strike bezel” might resolve in you learning how to use it as an “adult toy”

I’ll remove this post Friday.

No need to apologize to me. All I said and read it carefully is that I think it’s bad advice and I outlined basically why. And I still stand by it. That’s my opinion, you don’t like it, that’s your perogative. Btw just off the get-go pointing a muzzle at peeps in an avatar IMO is poor gun etiquette and shows immaturity of the person carrying. That’s IMO too. So what. Others will disagree. So what. That’s how I’ve been raised around guns all my life.

I’m not personally hurt by whatever you say and vice versa neither should you be. Just defend your position and let the chips fall, which you have. Don’t remove it. We’re grown-ups here. We can deal with our differences of opinion and do all the time.

I have no problem with you personally. After all I don’t know you personally. I just don’t agree with the particular advice is all. And lastly, just because you have a CCW does not make you invincible from hand to hand by any stretch. In fact, that’s the majority of how things go down with close-quarters gun against knife, club, what have you. I hope you never find that out the hard way.

Hey Guys, no problem here. When I asked for advice I assumed I would get all kinds of varying opinions - that’s what I got and I am glad. I am sure most of us can agree to disagree, after all that’s why they make chocolate and vanilla. You guys have alot of great insight to offer, please don’t stifle it now.

Regarding the CCW. Parkerdude - there is no need to apologize. I don’t expect someone to post advice otherwise than what they think is practical from their experience and that obviously is greatly influenced by the laws under which they live. It’d be ridiculous to expect a poster to magically know your regulatory environment (especially since my tagline doesn’t mention my location) - doing so would choke off so many of the great suggestions that are offered up in good faith. It’s up to me to synthesize the information and adopt options that I think will work in my situation.

I hope you decide to leave your posting as is - there’s always something to be learned.

Lastly, my BOB is basically complete, which I assure you contains a first aid kit :bigsmile:

My home BOB is geared towards a rural bugout so light would not generally be for travel purposes. You do whatever you can to minimize risk in circumstances that will call you to grab your BOB (that doesn’t sound right does it??!!?). But sometimes despite the best protocols you find yourself in a situation where that one feature/element of a piece of gear that didn’t seem that important at the time may just end up playing an important role.

Now that was a funny visual - thanks for the laugh!!!

Glad to hear your bag is coming together. As a fellow Canadian who spends his winters in the northern half of my province, I’d like to suggest you do your BOB checks at the equinoxes. As the weather changes you’ll have the option to adjust the amount of cold weather protection in your pack, which might only hinder you in the summer months. If you did want to carry a firearm, shotguns are still legal in Canada, and excellent for smaller game. Not quite as compact, but I think they’re a better all around choice.

This is good advice. Bi-annual audits also allow for fresh OTC and prescription medicine (if necessary) updates.

My own take on the 'strike bezel' is that it's superfluous as a force multiplier on kubaton duty. In a bugout situation, I would personally prefer to have something a bit more pocket-friendly that won't cause an incidental injury.

Your needs may be different.