Got My First UltraFire Batteries!

No, I'm not proud of this fact. I've heard all the bad talk about UltraFire 18650's, but never had any myself . . . until now. I ordered a bike light and it came with two UltraFire 18650's (red/white "5800mAh") even though I sent the seller a message stating that I did not want the batteries at all (I didn't even want the hassle of recycling/disposing of them). They come in the lamps battery pack so I removed them and WOW! These things are feather light! No rattling inside at all though. So the light runs two in parallel and I try turning it on - nothing. Checked voltage of the cells, both @ 0.9v! HA! They even say they are protected, but I can't find any protection circuit lead running down the side at all. I can only imagine being ignorant of Li-Ion cells and trying to use these and then complain about what a joke Li-Ions are! Hey, the wrappers look really sharp! Sparkle and shine like they just rolled off the assembly line! Here's a listing with better pics.

I'm curious to try disassembling the cell. Any ideas? I don't want an explosion in my face though. I'm curious to know what's inside of these cells.

BTW - the bike light/headlamp isn't too bad for the price. No thermal paste under the star. Hybrid OP/SMO reflector. Even though it's plastic it is extremely clean and shiny. Oh, just checked and the lens is plastic. I actually bought it to try it out as a bike light that runs on 2 parallel cells.

-Garry

Congratulations! :party:

I’d discharge them completely before attempting any disassembly! Or you could just use them?

Now you have something i’ll never have :_(

Best get a shovel and dig an early grave for em.

Don't risk some sort of mishap. Ain't worth it.

wow… some of the prices on their store it’s cheap, a26650 zoomies with 26650 trustfire battery for $15?
heck… the battery alone is almost $10… but 1.5 –2 months shipping to much waiting for the light for me :Sp

I wonder if his protected Ultrafire 26650 batteries are real? $12 for 2 ?!? :expressionless:

I actually got (by accident) two Ultracraps the other day (with the blue wrappers) that DID give my KE-5 a solid hour of runtime on high. I’m still blown away!

Theres a thread here somewhere, someone unrolled the guts of a LiIon, and lived to tell the tale.

Here she be, be warned, this thread is full of bad ideas.

I received my light in 15 days. I try to choose sellers shipping by "ePacket" instead of "Economy Shipping". I can usually find a seller using ePacket for just a few cents more than the cheapest seller.

-Garry

Guess I better leave it alone. Anyone else want to volunteer to disassemble it? I'll ship it to you (US CONUS only) so long as you post the result.

-Garry

how’s the light? is it decent output at least? btw as most bike light as these… some are easy to mod, just open up the tail cap and add some resistor on it… just don’t go crazy as you want decent run time on it too :wink:
unless you have one of those 26650 battery pack :smiley:

I only quick threw in a Tenergy 2600mAh protected @ +/- 4.0v to check it. It's throwy with a tight hotspot and dim spill. Decent build quality for the price, but a lot of plastic. 3 modes, high-low-fast strobe. Button flashes dimly even when off (probably why the cells arrived so rundown) - have to remember to pull the cells when not using it. I'll have to measure the lens and see if the Magicshine wide angle lens fits. The battery pouch sent seems to be for the typical 4x18650 packs and not correct for this 2x18650 holder (though the holder should fit okay put in diagonally stretching the pouch. I was hoping to be able to use a different mount for the light. I was hoping there would be a machine screw screwed into the bottom of the light (like many of the o-ring mount types) but there isn't. The provided mount may be ok, not sure.

-Garry

Shoot them. Rapid disassembly. :slight_smile:

Can you post some pictures of the bikelight internals? thanks

I can try. You want to see the driver? I haven't had the driver exposed yet. Let me see what I can do (while I am here at work) . . .

-Garry

Ugh! The things I go through for other BLF'ers! Took me 10 minutes to get the darn pill out and 45 minutes to get the darn thing back together!!! (Cable coming in makes it difficult to work around.) Best I could do with my cell phone camera:

-Garry

Thanks garrybunk
you didn’t have to make it urgent, thou :bigsmile:

just recycle.
lemme guess they are both light and unbalanced?
probably have a tiny cell and a bunch of filler inside.