Got This XM-L Headlamp Today

I just bid one at $20.50 from ebay. It looks like the same as your pic!

Well you know you got am impressive headlamp when your 20yr old son says get me one dad. So dad did. I'm loving this headlamp.

What I wish they would do is put a Keygos KE5 head with XM-L emitter and drive it about at 2.5 amps. That would be one impressive headlamp.

The flashlight gods were conspiring again tonight while I was grilling some steak. My backyard flood bulb blew, so I quickly reached for my headlamp reserved for bar-b-que, which promptly fell apart as I tried to change from zoom to flood (not the one I showed above with the repaired tilt, that one stays in the car). Before fixing the BBQ headlamp, I sniped one of these lights that the OP is about. Here's hoping I don't kill the tilt on that one. I guess I'll retire the BBQ headlamp into the wife's car.

*edit*

I forgot to ask... do the batteries go in serial or parallel? The seller never shows that in the pictures and the operating voltage isn't mentioned. I'm hoping serial, so I can use LiFePO4 cells.

I just received an email from the seller that I purchased this XML headlamp from (Song of eBay ID poozoo), answering my question above. To quote him directly,

" the batteries is parallel, and the input current is 1.5A and you can't use 3.0V instead of 3.6V 18650 batteries"

I guess I'll pull the AW IMR18650 from my FandyFire 3900 (3x XML light) for this headlamp and replace the cells in that light with the A123 high drain LiFePO4 cells I had intended to use in this one.

i hit one for 17.53usd

That's a steal.

I'm telling you it's without a doubt one of the best $25 headlamps on the market.

I'm awaiting your thoughts on it. I'm just going to wait to see your approval or not before I buy.

I will be sure to post back when I receive it. I'll probably do a quick review with photos in a new thread and link to it in this thread. Don't hold your breathe for a Mon May 7th delivery; it shipped China post on May 1st.

-Garry

Got the headlamp I ordered! New thread started here.

-Garry

Today, I received the headlamp the OP is about. I won the eBay auction for ~18-19 USD, including an AC charger that plugs into the battery compartment that I'm not likely to ever use. My first impressions of the headlamp are good. It's basically the bigger brother to the 3AAA zooming XRE headlamp that I already own (pictured in one of my posts above). By that I mean there are obvious similarities in appearance, design and function between the two. I'd say this is the evolutionary result of that light and guess that it might even be made on the same assembly line.

For example, the driver has the same modes and Vin range and the light uses the same soft push-button operation. I'd venture a guess that it's the same driver possibly set for slightly higher output. I measured 930mA on high and 0mA (or at least, an immeasurable amount of current drain to my DMM) when powered off. There's probably no compelling reason to remove the cells when not in use. Sorry, I didn't notice what the draw was on low, but I think I might have seen 160mA on the DMM, which sounds about right based on output.

The straps and battery compartment are very much like the older light, with the obvious additions in the newer light: top strap, 2x parallel 18650 instead of 3x serial AAA, and a rear facing red LED that mimics the modes of the main, forward facing lamp.

Unfortunately, the tilt-stop mechanism also bears a very strong resemblance to the one that broke in the smaller light. This one is slightly more robust. The part that broke off last time (the gear-stop, as I've been calling it) appears, in this light, to be a separate piece mounted in a socket of some kind. Here's hoping it can withstand more use than its predecessor.

The whole rig is lightweight and comfortable. The head is constructed of just enough metal to feel sturdy without feeling heavy or bulky. The base accommodates a standard 20mm star. It, the rest of the head and the bezel are Aluminum and the lens is glass. There are gaskets where the head meets the base and where the bezel meets the glass. The switch housing is plastic. I haven't left it on for very long yet, but at this drive current, I doubt that heat will be an issue, even if you're stationary and indoors. The SMO reflector's ID a the lens is ~30mm. Paired with the XML emitter, it provides a well defined hotspot that's good for all purpose use. It's not a thrower, but not a floodlight either.

I have slight reservations about sledding down a hill or falling off a bicycle with 18650s strapped to the back of my head, and for that reason would have preferred if I could have used two LiFePO4 cells in serial, instead of 2 IMR cells in parallel, but I think the observations I made about the driver explain why that was not an option.

All in all, I'll be very satisfied with the purchase if it holds up after a few real uses.

It’s been ~11 weeks and by now this light has seen quite a bit of use. I’ve worn it on night rides on several occasions, which usually last 1-2 hours, during which the light is constantly on mid mode, and during which the tilt is adjusted at least a half dozen times. Tonight, I ran it on high for an entire hour while I vacuumed the pool in the dark (don’t ask) and while the bezel was warm-hot to the touch, heat was not an issue. I use AW IMR16850 cells in it, which are fully charged after use and stored in it until next time. It’s the best headlamp I’ve owned so far.

I noticed that it's now only $19.99, so I ordered another. :)

I’m loving my headlamp. I have been using it as a backup for frog gigging. It’s awesome on high.

so it uses 2x18650’s? shouldnt this light be super bright then for a headlamp? most only uses aa, aaa, or 1x18650.

do any of you guys that have this light, also have the uf h6 head lamp?
i just ordered the uf h6 because i wanted the brightest headlamp $40 could get me, and i got many recommendations for the uf h6, now this one is tempting.

It uses 2 x 18650 in parallel. It's actually driven quite low (biased toward long runtimes) and thus not any brighter than others.

I have both and like them equally, but for different reasons: UF-H6 is small & easy to grab when needed, also for smaller tasks. It also has better modes and UI. OTOH, this headlamp has good runtime even on high (driven lower + 2 x 18650), so it's good for longer hikes etc.

I'll see if I have time for making a beamshot comparison tonight. If not, I'll do it during this weekend.

I would say it is very close to 400 lumens.

Looks to be the same one I bought a few weeks ago, now mounted on a safety helmet, good throw on high, but the low is good enough for most purposes.

Do you think this light can accept a E1320 or Dr. Jones Luxdrv ramping driver? I don’t have a dedicated headlamp and this might just fit the bill. Do you have pics of the internals?

Thanks!

yes beam shots would be great thanks

I put a picture back up on post #6.