Gravitational waves, predicted by Einstein, have been seen for the first time

Psst: Star Trek isn’t real … It may well be that much of the ‘technology’ turns out to be unachievable. For example, the transporter was invented as a way to avoid having to film shots of the shuttles.

I went to shave and thought my face seemed .00000000001 inches farther away than usual, but I just figured it was the bad guacamole from the night before.

I think anyone who is interested in exploring space is really hoping that faster-than-light travel will be possible some day. Unfortunately the space between stars is so damn huge that without faster-than-light you’re looking at 10s of thousands of years travel time. All those other stars, planets, worlds with various types of life are waiting.

Great video. I find this kind of stuff utterly fascinating and it never fails to leave me in awesome. I’m not a physicist but I do take a keen interest in such matters. Read this quote from a /u/adamsolomon on Reddit, prior to the announcement.

Now, is matter itself just a wave?

I don’t think you need to travel faster than light, only at the speed of light. At that speed time doesn’t pass for the person doing the travelling, so you leave and arrive at the same time. Bit of bummer if your’e the one waiting for them to arrive though!

In order to accelerate to the speed of light, we would need to expend an infinite amount of energy. So, impossible.
I’m afraid we won’t be able to even reach a decent fraction of the speed of light.

It’s a feature of special relativity. When trying to travel at very large speeds (= a considerable fraction of the speed of light) the amount of energy needed to keep increasing your speed goes up exponentially.

Well if you believe in the big bang theory, matter supposedly traveled thousands of light years in the first millionth of a second??

Cheers David

Except it didn’t. Spacetime, the fabric of the universe is what was moving / expanding at that rate. The matter wasn’t moving at that rate.

It can be difficult because when talking about the universe expanding / moving, we are talking about things / space moving through (or in reference to) an area filled with literally nothing. Not a vacuum, nothing.

Also think about the time before the big bang. Only there was no time. Time, as we know it, is part of the fabric of the universe. There was no time before the big bang. Just like there was no space, no “place” to be.

It’s all a fascinating subject Halo. Are you suggesting the universe could be expanding into nothing or have i misunderstood? I think it must be expanding into something that was already there.

Could someone explain what time is??

If there was no time, space or matter before the big bang,
where, there was no space, nothing, so how can something appear in nothing.
When, there was no time, not even a millisecond, no time for an action/reaction.
What, there was no matter or energy, while it is now claimed that it can happen with Quantum physics, it still requires time and space which were not in existence.

Yet matter/energy came into being and exploded before time and space came into being, if all three came into being at the same instant then that energy/matter traveled faster than light.

Sorry for being dim witted but theoretical mathematicians are proving each other wrong all the time, it was not that long ago that they were claiming that it was impossible to travel faster than sound, go back a bit farther and they claimed traveling at 100mph would kill you.

Now I will climb back into my little black hole and warp to another black hole just like some scientists still claim can be done.

Cheers David

Yep, expanding into nothing. Really, really nothing.

Take an area of empty space in our universe. Even if you empty it of all matter (cosmic dust) and all traditional energy, light, radio energy, xrays, this area still contains the fabric of spacetime. Time still moves forward, the gravity of everything around is transmitted through this empty space. And tho you have emptied out this space, things can exist in it. You can place a person in that empty space.

But outside our universe, the “place” where our universe is expanding, there is nothing. Time does not even move in that place. And it’s not really that time does not move, there is no time. No now, no past, no future. So yea, nothing.

“No now, no past, no future.”
If our universe is expanding into this nothingness it must have a future with our universe in it, if it has a future it must have a past “it was nothing” and by default a present “now it is something”
What about other universes, just because we cannot “see” out of our universe does not mean there is nothing out there…. cue Xfiles music :slight_smile:

Cheers David

I can grasp space and time being the same thing, but to have it all expanding into nothing is beyond me. It means there is no dimensional area to spread into! My nugget is starting to hurt now. :slight_smile: If that is the case, then i predict the universe has ragged edges, torn by gravitational waves like the end of an old flag worn by the wind. And what happens to gravitational waves when they reach the edge, disappear, bounce back? Time to take a lie down now lol

Oh boy, it’s too early in the day for “what is time?”. Actually I don’t think there is any time where I would really want to get into “what is time”.

But matter is not moving / traveling faster than light. When you say “energy/matter traveled faster than light” you are talking about it from a frame of reference outside the universe. Speed is movement in space over a certain period of time, it must take place within our universe.

Fry: Far out! So there’s an infinite number of parallel universes?
Farnsworth: No, just the two.

This might be a good time to say that in the beginning, light itself was travelling “faster than light” in that it was faster then than now, and is still slowing down.

Don’t worry, the nothing hurts most people’s heads. My head doesn’t really like nothing either.

But is there an edge? Ok, I’ll stop.

I like mongooses theory that the edge is torn. I understand halo’s point as well as pommies. My interpretation is the bang is the explosion of time not light or matter. This gives a relative concept for scientists to work within rather than nothing.