Greetings - looking for cycling lights

I am humbled by the warm welcome!! Very happy I found y'all.

Now off to read those links.

Thanks again, jim

You're welcome, but we didn't deserve to be thanked twice. :glasses:

jallison12, here's a few ideas on cycling lights. These are all XM-L lights I use on a regular rotation.

(L-R): Solarforce L2, Solarforce L2P, N-Light ST-50, Solarforce M6, Knight Rider P-Rocket, Shadow JM07. The first 5 lights use 18650 batteries, the JM07 uses 26650. I have a few others I use too, but these are the main ones.

Some more lights with a few different handle bar mounting pieces, Clockwise from upper left: Balder BD-2, Yezl Z1, P-Rocket, two Xtar cells, ST-50, An old C8 flashlight with a P7 emitter, Solarforce M8 in single cell mode.

Of all the lights up there, top three I use are: JM07, Solarforce L2P and M6. The ST-50 is my go to light for helmet mounting.

Welcome to BLF. Looks like you will find all the help you need here.

Ha, it took me a while to stop pressing the SAVE button TWICE and making DUPLICATE posts too.. Laughing Laughing.

BetweenRides, in the top picture what is that short piece of PVC for?

Looks like a sleeve so a 18650 doesn't rattle in the 26650 host

^ This ^

Thankfully, most of the 26650 lights come with these to allow you to run both in the light. Works great for cycling, as I can carry an 18650 in the sleeve in my jersey pocket for insurance if I need to change a battery on the fly. You can buy these separately for about a buck. I still need to take one up to Ace Hardware to see if they have this size PVC so I can make my own.

So, you only use it in the JM07? And those 26650s, are they similar in size to cr123s? I guess what I'm after is, you can't jam that size PVC into, say, an L2P to stop battery rattle with cr123s? It's too thick, right? I know you can buy aftermarket sleeves specifically for that and that some lights come with them, but I was thinking about a DIY solution other than the custom cut 3x5 card stock I use now.

Has anyone used heat shrink rap to reduce the noise? Is that a viable solution?

Hmm . . . That sounds like a good idea, assuming your light doesn't get hot enough to shrink it!

I too will be on the hunt for some thin walled PVC tubing to reduce battery rattle.

-Garry

The HST doesn't have the structural integrity and strength to bust open a battery, I'm guessing, so worse case, it splits itself open. Besides, my lights are almost never on so long that they get that hot. On a long bike ride, that may be much more likely.

Cone:

I only have one 26650 light (for now). 26650 is the same size as an 18650 in length, just bigger diameter, so no it's not the same size in any way to a CR123, which is closer to an 18650 in diameter.

For battery slop, shrink wrap will work, but have you considered good old fashioned masking tape? Cut to fit a little bit at a time until the slop goes away.

No running with scissors.........

Some of the MagicShine clones are very inexpensive and have 2 or 4 cell 18650 packs that will run for a long time. I've seen some reviews and they are somewhat impressive when you get the xml t6 variant.

I'm not a fan of DX but here's a link to the light.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/xml-t60-1050lm-3-mode-white-led-bicycle-bike-light-4-x-18650-104287?item=20

Thanks, guys.

Between, that tape on the cell, has stopped this big light of mine from changing modes!! In other words, it worked... Wink Also, another tip I got on another forum, I think, and this only applies to the big lights in the two fish copy or original slipping foward on the handlebar. I was told to put a piece of innertube in between the mount and the handlebar. Oh boy, I went for a test ride tonight with the big light (3xcree/1x26650). I done all of the above, tape on cell, piece of innertube in between mount and handlebar. End result, after a 5 mile ride, the mount stayed still. The big light didn't tip over and point downward. Also, no mode changes when I ran over bumps.. Sheesh, I can't get to sleep fast enough tonight, cause I want to get up in the wee hours of morning, and GO!! Wink

Now, tell me life isn't sweet!!Wink

So simple and perfect. I've just taken up cycling again so dont have any "old" tubes yet. But then I don't have any lights yet either. Once you start researching every next one seems better than the last.

My uncle says he has got me some lights, which are on the way. He won't tell me much about them, but he usually goes for good stuff. We shall see.

It used to be simple buy A KDC8 some 18650s a charger and a mount and you were good. Now there are so many great lights to choose from it's easy to get confused. Here is a picture of a KDC8 and a Skyray triple XML mounted to my cruiser. It puts out more light than a typical set of cars high beams.

Almost any bike store will give you an old tube out of the garbage. You could also ask another cyclist if they have any; I'm sure I'm not the only one who keeps a few old ones around for "Ranger Bands".