Greetings!

I've been lurking for a little while. Long enough to have ordered 2 Grey L2's and 2 pairs of Xtar 18700's and a drop-in from E1320.

I have a feeling that this site is a bit like reloading ammo. You don't save money, for the same money you shoot more.

I do have a question though, what do you do with all of the old lights? I have a bunch of Mini-Mags and other assorted old lights that I am trying to figure out what to do with. seems like a waste to throw them out.

It is a waste to throw them away, hoard them. Sooner or later you will have a few spare parts laying around and you will start modding them or use parts from them to mod others. Welcome.

Welcome to BLF, RowdyOne. It's always worth trying to sell unwanted stuff on Ebay. And if you call something 'vintage' or 'retro' you might even make a profit on it! Seriously though, it always amazes me that so many people seem willing to pay almost as much for a used item as they could get it for brand new with a bit of shopping around.Good condition Maglites seem especially easy to sell.

Good to have you here, RowdyOne!

If modding or eBay don't work for you, there is a subforum where you could try to sell some flashlights on BLF:

http://budgetlightforum.com/forum/marketplace/sell

Welcome! Search around and you'll find mods for mini-mags (and others). There is the famous Match mini-mod - I'm going to be doing this one very soon.

-Garry

Welcome to BLF, RowdyOne!!

You are absolutely right about this site. Plan on spending way more money on lights than you ever dreamed. At least you will have lots of good stuff to show for it instead of just a few.

As for all your old mini-mags laying around, some of us really enjoy modding them and toying. No reason a Mini can't be one of the brightest lights in your arsenal...or the smallest!

Johnny

Hi RowdyOne, welcome to BLF!

Obviously you have lurked well, since you have made very good choices. Well done! :)

Just forget saving money. Or even getting even, with more lights. You will spend more money here.

And about the old lights: If you don't like modding, think again: Mini Mag with P60 pill is just awesome! Or you can just start collecting them. That is always a good excuse of buying more.. ;)

..or if you are not into the above mentioned activities, you can always donate them to some other BLF member: Just organize a giveaway and make someone very happy!

Welcome to BLF, RowdyOne.

If you want to upgrade your Mini Maglites (as opposed to modding), try typing this into Google: mini maglite led upgrade

The autofill will give you many options to choose from, including reviews, kits, nite ize and terralux. Worth looking into, although you will find that in many cases you can find brighter, cheap budget lights that cost less than a mini mag upgrade. I have done a Nite Ize upgrade and it's fairly impressive compared to what it was before, but I have a $7 UltraFire Sipik clone that blows it away in terms of brightness (easily 3-4x as bright as the upgraded led), size and versatility. If you have many, you can purchase 3 of the Nite Ize kits from Amazon and get free shipping + no tax. Do some research first and you may just decide it's not worth it.

Warning: Once you start doing research on lights, guard your wallet. Mine is usually empty since I joined BLF. Tongue Out

My name is RowdyOne and I'm a flashaholic!

I am quite familiar with the empty wallet syndrome. It seems none of my hobbies are cheap

Having lurked on the other site, I have more than a few SureFires, including my first 6P that is at least 10-15 years old. Some of the other SureFires have Malkoff drop-ins. The 9P's are running 2 17500 batteries and the 9v incandescent bulbs.

I also shoot 5-7000 rounds a year so I reload my own ammo and have money tied up in that.

My idea of budget isn't necessarily the cheapest in initial cost, but what is the best buy over a longer period of time. Generally I seem to go by the saying buy once, cry once. I spent over $1000 to get into reloading by buying a Dillon press(considered one of the leaders in both product and customer service). It paid for itself in the first year and now has brought my cost to 1/2 of store bought ammo.

As i have gotten older I have also realized that I need to realistically look at what I need vs what I want. I have a safe full of guns and a shelf full of lights but only use a few of each. I, like many, am looking for that perfect light for EDC and am slowly getting there especially with neutral LEDs. Will I stop buying stuff after that, I doubt it!!! Then I need to find the perfect headlamp for my hardhat, then the perfect light for...... you get the idea!

-RowdyOne

Welcome good choice on the drop in

I use a 25/32 drill and do the 15 minute "match mod" to my mini mags and use my extra P-60 drop ins to make little flame throwers.

Aloha and welcome to BLF RowdyOne!

Welcome Rowdy1

Have fun here!

Better yet, "vintage tactical"! Not really too far from the truth for those old Maglites, now that I think about it.

Wlecome to BLF, Rowdyone.