Grizzly's Skilhunt H04 RC Review - Best on the Market

I’m using a Texas Ace calibrated lumen tube. I take brightness measurements on each mode with a full battery. Then, I do runtime tests with the ceilingbounce app, and I add a multiplier in Google Sheets to make sure the turn-on lumen number in the runtime graph is the same as the turn-on lumen number I measured on the tube.

We really need a right angle light just like this but with Anduril (and while I’m making wishes, NO on-board charging)

Man, I hear that. I desperately want Hank to make a dual-channel headlamp. I’d be happy with right angle or a regular headlamp, but I want Anduril 2 on a headlamp, especially with dual-channel functionality like some of Hank’s latest lights.

Anduril have bad mode spacing for headlamps, because of linear stepped mode. Its possible to set up, but its not ideal . It works with 7 steps only and ramp ceiling about 1Amp.

doable imo

Have you 1 for sale ? No?

for sale ?
PM me .
lol.

Anduril stepped mode is linear in perceived brightness. Is that not what we want? What do you prefer?

Its not. Andurils ramping mode is adjusted to human vision , but stepped mode is still linear, and we are off topic .

Maybe we are off topic, but I just want to make clear that your statement is wrong. Anduril’s stepped mode is also adjusted to human vision as it directly uses the ramp (which you said is adjusted to human vision).

…using ramping but not proper spacing.

No i keep it!

Wrong, the steps are equally distributed indices of the ramp. If the ramp is perceived linear, so are the steps. But due to technical limitations the ramp is not perfectly linear and sometimes manipulated by hand to get better results.

As you said, this is off topic. But I don’t want to keep your false statement here without a correction.

Well said, Sammy. To add to that, Anduril’s brightness ramp and mode spacing have been electrically linear (or close to it) in the past on some lights (Hank’s linear drivers, in particular) but that was fixed with an update to Anduril 2 a few months ago. I believe Toykeeper called the fix “Dynamic PWM” or something like that. Now both the smooth ramp and the stepped ramp are visually linear.

I have a KR1 that had this issue, and it was completely fixed when I updated the firmware to the latest Anduril 2 build.

Hi, someone pinged me about this. I think they wanted me to clarify how the ramp works. Sorry for the off-topic post.

Same. I even sent him some details about what I’d like him to make… but he’s too busy, I guess.

The stepped ramp can be any number of steps. The default is 7, usually.

The ceiling and floor levels are user-configurable. It’s not limited to just 1 Amp.

Smooth and stepped ramping modes use the same ramp. They are identical, except smooth has more steps and goes through those steps faster.

Anduril runs on about a hundred different lights, and each one behaves a little differently, but none have a linear ramp… unless you mean visually linear. In terms of lumens, or power usage, the ramp is usually an “x to the Nth power” shape, approximately, where N is anywhere from 3 to 9.

The ramp is calculated to be as close to visually linear as possible on the given hardware. This forms an abstract brightness scale 150 steps long which should be perceptually linear in theory… but in practice, on most hardware, the resolution is very coarse at the low end, so the ramp shape is often skewed a bit there. This usually looks okay on the smooth ramp, but it’s often pretty visible on the stepped ramp. So instead of making the stepped ramp start at moon, it usually starts a bit higher to reduce the impact of the quirky ramp shape.

The stepped ramp is linear within the abstract brightness ramp, but in terms of lumens, it still follows the same “x to the Nth” shape as the smooth ramp. For example, on the SP10 Pro, the default steps in simple mode are:

• ramp steps: 15/150, 48, 82, 116, 150/150
  • lumens: 0.2, 6, 30, 110, 300 lm

… or in advanced mode, the default is:

• ramp steps: 1/150, 25, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150/150
  • lumens: 0.02, 1, 6, 24, 70, 150, 300 lm

They’re linear by step number, but Nth-power by lumens.

Out of all Anduril lights I’ve tried so far, this SP10 Pro has the highest resolution for low modes… so it gets the best mode spacing. For most others, I set the stepped ramp floor higher to avoid a big gap between levels 1 and 2.

If I ever get around to implementing delta-sigma modulation, it should be possible to make the low modes lower and more precise on compatible models. Then it’ll have the resolution necessary to give it a better ramp shape. Until then though, it’s recommended to not include moon in the stepped ramp on most lights.

This makes me even more excited for the SP10Pro :slight_smile:

O.K, i give up… but manually adjusted stepped modes are more precise than automatically.

That is fair.

I was wondering this as well. The H04RC has worse runtime than the H03F/R?