"Group Buy" Interest: Q8 MCPCB for Luxeon V/SST40/XML/XHP50 Emitters

It is quite a rebuild, I have not seen it yet and also hope for a nice build post.

Is it a simple mcpcb swap to get this output output boost for a stock Q8?

With this: led4power

Do the springs need bypassed?

Also how do the 4000K V’s compare to a 4000K Cree, such as XPL? (as far as overall color, disregarding tint shifts/rainbow)

For me 4000K Cree can be a bit too yellowish for outdoors.

1. You need a custom spacer for it to fit, and cut the reflector to XML size.

2. You do need a spring bypass.

3. Tint and tint shift is way better on the Luxeon V compared to the Crees.

Thanks for the answers, by “spacer” do you mean a “retaining washer” like this flat bar style djozz made?
(DIY washer+M4 screw)
I suppose it could be a round washer instead of a flat bar?

Or maybe swap out the stock springs with these?

I’d really like to know if the Luxeon V 4000K is overall more white (less yellow) compared to the 4000K Crees.

I think first I’ll order 1pc. Luxeon V and install it in a single emitter light and see how I like it compared to Cree XPL 5A.

1. Yes, like djozz.

2. Yes, even I plan to put these springs in my Q8 once I receive them. They are still not as good as a proper spring bypass. This is the only way you could get 7000 lumens+ out of a non XHP50.2 light.

3. More white yes:

Got my boards today and already got my Q8 done! I’ll post more details in the Q8 modding thread

Add me to the list for 2, ( to be used for the BLF Lantern project advancements & mods/tests)

There is no list anymore, these boards are for sale at led4power.com

@beam0

Luxeon V 4000K has a better tint than all Cree 4000K leds, but the 4000K 80 CRI Cree leds (all types that I came across) still have a very good tint.

For the 7000K+ output you do need a spring bypass.

The reflector holes do not need to be adapted, the V’s fit in the holes. You do need to ream the plastic centerpieces, and because they are so thin and provide little grip it is not easy (and there is 4 of them :weary: )

As djozz mentioned, you don't need to modify reflector in any way for Luxeon Vs.

Oh yeah sorry. I actually meant the centering discs.

Just found that out. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have an XHP70.2 centering ring that was 3D printed using glow in the dark material. Would be nice if someone could organize a batch of these (with the fit the Luxeon V needs) at a reasonable cost. Green GID would work well with the already green lighted switch.

Low quality picture of what I mean, Convoy M1 with XHP70.2 centering ring and reflector reamed to fit.

lol, I have been trying to keep this quite for awhile. I have actually been planning on using this idea as a branding trademark for my lights for almost a year now. Just got to get some lights made first.

The one I have is a bit “rough” and needed a little bit more slicing with a knife to fit properly but it does glow decently for a short period after the light turns off. I suspect going even smaller than XHP70 size accuracy gets even worse though. Is it a printer issue or just the nature of this material? IDK.

The other popular way people implement these is under the 3Up and 4Up optics but almost all my lights are incompatible without modifying it. Jaxman E2L triples have that shelf that prevents the glow ring from going down to the MCPCB without trimming it. My S2+ triple uses LED4Power’s MOSX pcb so it has a FET and other stuff on the PCB so it wont work there either. I dont have a quad version but im afraid a D4 might melt or deform one of these suckers but people claim it doesnt…

I’ve printed my XHP70.2 centering ring for the BLF GT, but I don’t think I can print a centering ring for the luxeons, they’re so small and tolerances are big

I figured as much. Is that universal to all printers with this material?

I have printed many many many XP 3535 LED centering rings over the years. It takes some time to get the settings right but it works well.

Well by all means let me TA up my Q8 and C8F with some new rings, lol. What are you waiting for :money_mouth_face:

LOL, I actually posted a thread offering custom centering rings awhile back and got exactly zero response to it so honestly I just figure it was not something anyone needed.