Group buy: Jaxman Z1 host [THREAD CLOSED BY ADMIN]

Not that I can do these things…but if I could, I would definitely be trying for an XHP35 setup. I think that would set the cat’s pajamas on fire. :innocent:

It is now the test phase with 10 samples
Later more should be getting available so you can be put on the list for that.

Oh yeah a XHP35 must be good
When I have mine in the end when the bigger groupbuy opens I will go for that!

The main buy hasn’t started yet.

When it does, those on the interest list will be PMed instructions on how to place their orders.

I have added you to the interest list, for one piece, if that’s OK with you.

Regarding XHP35, does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable boost driver, to supply at least 1A at 12V or so, maybe up to 2A ?

Also source of supply for the LED, and any data on over-drive capability ?

I’m looking for the same thing. According to Cree’s specs… its only rated at 1050mAh… I wonder what would happen if you pushed it to 2… or 3A :smiling_imp:

I’m sure you can push them a lot harder than that. I don’t recall seeing any testing data on XHP35s around here, but djozz crash tested its big brother, the xhp50, and found it capable of up to 9 amps input.. You wouldn’t want to push the ’35s quite that hard, but I bet they’d get a lot closer than 3 amps.

+1, PLS make public if you found!

I run them at 2.5amp’s (sweet spot)@ 16.8v . I have blown a few at 2.8-3.0amps, using a buck driver messing with resistors.

Here is what I found… Vestureofblood Comment #123

2.5amps is the highest I’ve found on a bench test. I believe Dale has a light that goes up to ~3amps. Seems like the XHP35 would be better in a reflector style light, rather than a zoomie due to it having a wider hot spot. I like the Z1 because its a great thrower… which means using a different LED would benefit me more than the XHP35. XML2 or a XPG2 would have a tighter hot spot, while the XHP35 would be slightly brighter, with a larger hot spot (in my untested opinion).

I think it all depends on what you want to use the Z1 for. I like the Z1 because of the laser beam it produces when zoomed in and how compact it is. If you’re wanting more of a Maglite sized light, with a zooming function, a Z1 with a XPH35 might be your ticket.

Dale, I believe is using a LD-2 Linear driver 2.89amps? Buck drivers are kind of spiky? My measurements are at the LED not the back of the battery tube for what its worth. I’ll be testing the LD-2 M2 with some different size resistor’s and see if they are smoother in delivering the current.My Z1 is running a de-domed XHP35 D4 5000k in it at 2.5 amps at the emitter. I like them better out of a smooth reflector.

I’ve heard the same about buck drivers. If your emitter is rated max at 2.5 amps, then you need a 2amp driver because the initial spike will blow the emitter… from what I understand.

I may save the XPH35 build for another day as I’d like to use the Z1 as a compact thrower.

Puzzled why you think it might have a wide hotspot.

This is, as the name suggests a 3.5 mm square die.

Same size as XPG, XPL.

An XML (5x5 mm) is twice the area, unless de-domed.

It is available domed, or as a “High” factory de-domed version.

As far as I can see, the XHP35 is something like four XPE or XPG dies mounted together.

If Kawiboy is running them at 2.5A, 16.8 V, that’s 42 watts.

So I’d hope for approaching 4000 lumens, in a 3.5mm square die. Domed, or factory dedomed.

That seems rather exciting to me. Just have to work out how to drive these.

Just looking at vestureofblood’s picture comparing the two emitters in the same flashlight shows that the hotspot is slightly larger. XHP35 on the left, XML2 on the right.

Its just my educated guess that, at a further distance than a nearby wall, it may exacerbate the small difference. It might not! I’m definitely interested to see!

XHP35 HI's can't throw with the best de-domed XM-L2 U4 or even XPL V6, no way. Biggest reason is HI's are no where near intense as a good DIY de-dome.

So in other words putting the XPL Hi and driver of the Cometa in there would be easy and give me rge light I wanted when ordering the Cometa.
Small and out throwing the more complex XHP35 build that would also mean no Bistro.
Good to know!

Well yes, sort of. I measured only 4% improvement of the Z1 lens over the Cometa in lumens output - that might equate to 8% in kcd, from what I've seen in the past. Problem is what do you use to build the super XHP35 HI? Boost driver? But dunno of one supporting the higher amps, or some sort of 4S cell setup, which if you add 3 extensions to the Z1, I think would look a litle ridiculous. Or you can use 18350/26350's maybe? But short burst only.

Of course you do get the nicer made Z1 host out of it, for sure.... I got the Z1 host delivered home, wait'n for me. 9 days of regular shipping - not bad!

It don’t look that bad? :smiley:

I'm confused - what is that exactly? It looks like 3 extensions maybe? Shadows are hiding important details. Is that 3 cells? Do you have an XHP35 HI in it? What does it do? Are you just teasing us?

Interesting theory.

What practical experience do you have with this emitter ?

Ordinary, or “High” ?

De-domed stuff isn’t necessarily great in a zoomie.

You want the emitter to project most of it’s lumens into an angle that mostly hits the lens.

Otherwise they are wasted, on the (hopefully) matte black interior.

Gross over-simplification I know, but correct.

XHP35 D4 5000K de-domed 4-26500’s Purple Efest solder blobbed, RMM’s 22Mtn MAX 2.5amp driver with the Convoy L5 battery extension on the end. I have (6) XHP35’s plus the K70 that’s back in the box, the SD75 (with a smooth reflector) is using it’s battery carrier, which I prefer the SD75 over the K70 for the simplicity of the E-switch over the magnetic ring. I never tease! :+1: And I’m not a photographer either!