Group buy: Jaxman Z1 host [THREAD CLOSED BY ADMIN]

Same as teacher. Mine both arrived today contents in good shape. First impression. Threads and zoom superior to all others I have. Extremely and noticeably well built. Well lubed. Waiting on another order prior to begin.

I still can’t decide what kind of emitter to use. I would prefer to keep it a single cell light, and that only leaves the usual suspects which I’m sure others have already decided on, or have already been used. ie: XML, XPG, XPL

I was thinking of playing around with temporary setups until I can check out the others. I’ve actually been considering trying a Luxeon Z ES. Mostly because I have one, and no one else does.

I’ll add one further tip that I didn’t read in the other answers — if you guys have solder running back up your wires then you’re using way too much solder. Its not necessary. Solder is just a filler to join the two surfaces. You need very very little of it to do the job. So like others said, pre-tin everything with just the amount of solder needed using a good amount of flux to encourage quick adhesion, then do the join using only a tinned hot iron if you can get away with it (most of the time you can) or with just a touch of solder if needed, but go easy on it.

Also, the pliers you’re using to hold the wire in place — I think — should close as possible to end being soldered so they act as a heat sink on the way up the wire.
That halts the flow of solder up through the copper.

But as emarkd says, there doesn’t need to be and shouldn’t be that much excess solder.

Do y’all have and use “solder sucker” tools to remove excess solder? Those little things are amazingly effective.

:+1:
My report of the quality of the Jaxman is the same as that of leroycp.

The superior quality of the Jaxman is evident, as is the fact that it has been/was; well though out.
Even the little details are evident and spot on. :+1:

This thing oozes quality. IF anyone has been concerned about the quality… there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about.
This thing nails it!!!

My impressions and opinions, yours might differ; though I fail to comprehend how that could be. :wink:

I got back from vacation yesterday evening and found my Z1 had arrived. :smiley: So I’ll attack that soon, I hope.

I did use the LD-2 with modifications for 4S cells, got 2.89A at the tail and 2.87A at the emitter as I recall, I do remember I was surprised at how close the two measurements were. 231Kcd in the MaxTOCH Shooter 2X with a 2 cell extension I made for it. Yep, found the notes, I remembered correctly, and 2346 lumens with the nice mirrored reflector. I also now have an UCLp here for it that arrived while I was on vacation so I’ll see if that helps total output and lux.

I should have everything here for building the Z1, kinda got to start over as I don’t remember what I was doing or planning on doing… I too have a second lens from Banggood for the Z1, nice looking aspheric. Might just glue it on my watch so my old eyes can read the time better… :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome back Dale! It's been noticeably quieter lately . Ok, that convinces me. I assume that's a XHP35 HI @2.87A at the LED, doing 231 kcd in a MaxToch 2X. I also assume it's the same size as the old 2X's. If so, then the 2X I modded for Justine (jmpaul320) way back that did 358 kcd, his measurements, on a dedomed XL-L2 U2 (report by Justine here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/31896), with a UCLp lens is considerably better in throw, but of course can't compete in lumens output, but the XHP35 HI is pulling a lot more power. My 2X did slightly less because I didn't as aggressively resistor mod it, but still was over 300 kcd as I recall.

Also here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/34816, stock dedomed 2X that does 280 kcd, and here: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/MAXTOCH-2X-Dedomed-XM-L2-U2-LED-280Klux-More-than-1000m-distance-Utmost-Version-of-Thrower/314381_32417489481.html, stock 2X Shooter that does 365 kcd with a dedomed U4.

Right, when you look at the surface area of an XHP-35 HI as compared to the de-domed XM-L2 you quickly realize why throw numbers are down. Still, the lumens output is almost enough to counter the drop in lux. It’s an impressive beam, for sure.

I got the FET+1 driver built for my Z1, with A6 firmware, and piggybacked it onto the supplied board. The SBT-70 fit very nicely on a 20mm Noctigon and I actually managed to get it centered quite well the first time, glued in with Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive as opposed to re-flow soldering it in. The beam is nice, there is a blue outline of the die on the substrate that is pretty cool looking.

BUT, I have an issue with the LVP. It’s stepping down right off the top so I think the 1912 resistor is grounding on the brass pill inside. Gotta open it back up and take measures. A little aggravating but at least I’m keeping the “always something” saying alive and well. :wink:

My 8 yr old just got caught on the computer playing a “game”. He’s on the Codex of Alchemical Engineering and he’s learning to arrange atoms…. geesh. (I’m told he’s creating a program)

Ok, got it… my 4702 resistor for LVP was shorted. All is well now.

With a fully charged but rested Efest purple 3500mAh it pulls 17.97A and makes 91.25Kcd for 604.15M throw. I know, I know, not efficient at all, but that’s Luminus emitters for ya.

I have 18ga Turnigy wires from the driver, a very short 18ga lead between the driver and contact board positive with a copper sheet soldered onto the board/driver for ground. 20ga through-pass on the tail spring and a small Omten reverse clicky.

Power hungry, isn’t it? Get’s pretty warm quite fast too. But the beauty of that circular beam, gotta love it! :slight_smile:

Hi,

yes, that looks cool :wink:

Regards

Kenjii

Cool I emailed it to my son!

I still can’t decide what to do
I like single cell
So probably will use the Cometa driver
Then first see if the 219C is nice or go with the XPL Hi NW from the Cometa.
Now that most hosts have arrived properly it could be time to open it up for more Sharpie?

Few beamshots…

First up is the standard 97yd shot of the red 55 gallon oil drum with 28mm wide angle on the Canon G1X

Zoomed in at 112mm same distance…

And down our driveway, a 265 yd jog to the road…

Sorry guys, the sun didn’t cooperate on my trip to Destin as we went in tandem with my S-i-L and her family…

Mine arrived today. I’m just waiting on some parts to arrive still though.

Nice pics Dale!

I like the obvious crossover in the beam, pretty neat. The circle of light is almost complete, very very little to the sides. De-focus slightly to remove the visible plethora of bond wires and it’s a theater spot light. :slight_smile:

When are these going to be available to buy and do I need to be on the interested list to buy one? :face_with_monocle:

When Jaxman is ready.

This buy has not been running long. And ought to be as simple and straightforward as could be. I don’t know how to describe the offer any more clearly.

Nor the future potential, if this goes well.

And yes, that is the point of the interest list.

So, if you are interested, express so, and you will be added to it.

The first ten were asked for a commitment, and so far several have done so, very well.

The next on the “interest list” are not asked for a commitment, but an expression of interest. And, if we can get things in place, will be offered the product, in order, once sufficient demand has been demonstrated.

So, please state your interest.

Interest list updated.

i am in for one