[ GXB172 - 50W Single Cell 17mm Boost Driver! ]

+1
When it will be available ?

It’s been available for people to build for a while now. (I think)

That is as far as Loneoceans is going. If someone wants to build a batch of them and sell them, they will need to step forward.

No, not on oshpark yet.

Dear Leonoceans,

I’m new in BLF. I’m very impressed with your GXB17 50W.
Hopefully GXB17 can accept order ASAP.

Try this instead of waiting, also take a look at Lexel offerings here at BLF.

Wow,
MTN UPDATED NEW BOOST DRIVER FINALLY!
thank you very much.

Thanks for your info.
I’m planning to put the MTN boost driver into my convoy c8+ with
XHP50.2 4000-5000K
BASEN 40A 3000MAH 18650
If I add extra copper to my pill,
Can this handle 4.2a output?
Thanks again.

The C8+ has an integrated led shelf, not a pill design, it handles heat pretty well though, I personally never used this kind of power so I cant answer your question, i run them with 3A @ 3+V that’s about 10W… it get pretty hot to the touch in about 10mins, you’re talking about 25W so I would guess its a little overkill for this host but you can set the thermal stepdown to 105F in guppy3drv, and for efficiency consider a FET switch from led4power, you’ll have to figure out driver/switch/bleed value compatibility once Neven comes out with the switch details.

Thanks for your advise.
Appreciate that.

I have an older ThorFire C8s host with an aluminum pill. I push ~35-30W through it. It warms up quickly, but it has enough mass and surface area that it doesn’t get too hot too fast. If I keep a hold of it the whole time (so my blood carries away some of the heat) I’d guess I can go a few minutes on full power before it gets unreasonably hot. I’d guess a C8+ would do at least as well.

Loneoceans is not going to produce his drivers. He is just designing them.

We still have to wait a bit longer for good boost drivers.

People are already running the 50.2 in C8 with FET driver and two 18350 cells, but it is very risky as it can supply too much current. Still, the host can handle it no problem. It will heat up pretty quick so you have to turn it down or set the thermal control to step down once it gets hot.

4.2A is a good output for the 50.2. Bigger boost drivers should be able to produce closer to 6A, but the max output can always be dialed back.

Thanks for your advise.

Last year I accidentally tried a cheap driver from fasttech
https://m.fasttech.com/products/1250101

This is a 5A driver supposed to use with 1s single 4.2v led.
When I put in xhp50 & AWT18350 x2, she survived!! It’s get hot very fast in my convoy S2 mods.

Someone explain this to me. The design is finished, but someone needs to order a batch of them to get them produced? What’s the minimum amount?

You can buy member RMM 17mm boost driver right here. 17mm MTN-BST2 Boost Driver

But that’s nowhere near the same output?

If the higher output is what you need you’ll have to build the GXB17 yourself, ordering the parts and the board and reflowing everything to its correct position.

There’s no part list and board to order right now. Or did I miss it?

Well I thought I had seen a parts list here just a day or two ago, but either I was on a different driver or it disappeared :person_facepalming: . I found the parts list for the GXB20 but not this new GXB172. Maybe contact loneoceans on his webpage or here.

Maybe think of Loneoceans as a broke genius. He can think up the design and buy just a couple parts to make sure it works, but he doesn’t have the money to go into production. Or maybe he doesn’t have the time. So he shares his plans online.

If you want to order a batch, you need to find a company to make them and ask them what their minimum amount is.

Maybe we can make a groupbuy out of this? I’m sure there’s lots of interest.