Haikelite HK04 groupbuy is ALIVE

I have tested both the HK04 (4x XHP50.2) and the Sofirn Q8 Pro (4x XHP50.2)

I use high-drain batteries to test (for the Q8 Pro, I did not use the Sofirn 3000mAh 18650 batteries which are not as powerful as higher-drain type 18650 batteries).

The Sofirn Q8 Pro is brighter compared to the HK04.
(I don’t have a light integration device for measuring lumens but just doing the same ceiling bounce and taking a lux reading, my Q8 Pro register 1400+ lux on Turbo mode (at turn On) whereas the HK04 gets only around 1100 lux (at turn On)

Thus the Q8 Pro is brighter in actual than the HK04 — I think the main reason is having 3 batteries just cannot power 4x XHP50.2 to the max levels, compared to having 4 batteries.

Haikelite HK04 (4x XHP50.2) beamshot

Sofirn Q8 Pro (4x XHP50.2) beamshot

~
At closer distance, it’s a bit difficult to compare brightness since both are very bright (the Q8 Pro having a bit wider area of light)
Haikelite HK04 XHP50.2 (left side) vs Sofirn Q8 Pro (right side)

Thanks DTA for the useful info and your response to me on YouTube about the 4x18a sbt90 compared with the l21b :slight_smile:

Thank you for your reply.

Can you comment on why manufacturers indicate different brightness (in lumens) for these lights, although both lights have exactly the same LEDs.
HaikeLite HK04 4хCREE XHP50.2, 15000 lm
Sofirn Q8 Pro 4хCREE XHP50.2, 11000 lm
Is this marketing (i.e. cheating)?
After all, it should be the other way around, 4 batteries must have the ability to give more energy than 3 batteries, and only due to this, identical diodes should have more brightness.

It's true having 4 cells vs. 3 is an advantage for the Q8 Pro and should result in higher output with all other things the same, but the 15000 lumens rating is not so out of the question. I did several measurements on mine and the best #'s I got on fully charged VTC5D's were:

• 16422 at start, 13600 at 30 secs (my calibration based on high end manufacturer ratings)

or

• 14635 at start, 12120 at 30 secs (mauuka calibrated)

The VTC5D and Samsung 25S are the best performing 18650 cells available, at least with capacity from 2500 mAh and above.

So I'll give them credit for being in the ballpark for the HK04, but yes, slightly over rated.

I don't have a Q8 Pro to test and compare with, but I can tell you the HK04 has some advantages in that they are using quality springs, better than the Q8's (if the Q8 Pro is the same as standard Q8's), and the driver is more advanced with dual FET's that in theory should help for the 4 high powered LED's:

It's all a matter of the tradeoff's of a more compact (thinner) design vs. 1 more cell.

The 1400 lux vs. 1100 lux may depend on the cells -- d_t_a did not mention exactly what cells were used. Still, I'm a little surprised the difference is that large, if what is being measured is a true reflection of lumens.

Thank you for your help.
Indeed, the problem of choosing is between the compactness of the HK04 and the power of the Q8Pro.
I am going to solve this problem by comparing the main operating mode in which there is no shutdown (thermal cutoff).
But I can’t find operating modes (mode, lumens and runtime) for these lights anywhere.
If anyone knows in what mode the lights work (the number of lumens / operating time) without switching off by temperature, please let me know.

For testing high-powered flashlights, I usually use:
Molicell P26A, Sony VTC6, Sony VTC5D, or Sony VTC5A.

I believe when I did the ceilingbounce lux comparison, I was using fully-charged Sony VTC5A.

However, my batteries are only flat-tops (P26A, VTC6, VTC5D, VTC5A all flat-tops only), so it’s possible that may have some effect on the contact.

Most Anduril flashlights do not list the number of lumens vs operating time, because Anduril allows stepless/variable brightness, and the runtime will depend on several factors: the exact batteries used, the ambient temperature (and also whether the light is being cooled or not), the temperature stepdown threshold setting which the user specifies. As such, there will be too many variables to make a runtime test…. (it would probably be possible to do runtime graph, if these are known: 1) exact battery used is indicated, 2) the ambient temperature when the light is tested and whether it’s being ventilated, and 3) the user-configured temperature stepdown setting)…

Smooth brightness change is just the convenience of the control interface.

Usually lights in the control interface have sets of luminance modes: 100% ... 50% ... 30% ... 15%

Here is an example of a set of luminance modes in a Sofirn Q8 flashlight.

Therefore, I would like to find out with regard to the HK04 and Q8Pro flashlights what is their main mode (how many lumens) in which the thermal cut-off will not work and how long this mode lasts.
Based on this information, real conclusions can be drawn.
(it is clear that tests should be carried out on the same set of batteries (this is ideal), and under the same ambient temperature conditions)

But even if the tests are carried out by different people and the ideal conditions are not met, it will still be possible to have a rough idea and have reason to compare the lights.
The main thing is to find out in what mode the flashlight will work without thermal cut-off.

Do you really believe those #'s? 40 minutes at 5000 lumens? Maybe the lowest modes of under 200 lumens is somewhat accurate, but still there will be lowering as the cells drain.

You can try holding a Q8 on Turbo for a minute, but even after your hand starts burning after 1 minute, 5000 lumens is probably down to 4000 lumens and dropping...

That was for NarsilM with fixed sets which I don't know if it was ever used by anyone, ever... Everyone I know of uses ramping.

These high powered, compact, budget lights don't have the capabilities of running at a relatively high output for the full time it takes for the batteries to drain.

Here's more details:

• "high powered" - very difficult to maintain a high power output for any decent amount of time when on continuously
  • "compact" - can't dissipate the significant amount of heat generated
  • "budget" - doesn't have the sophisticated driver design to maintain a regulated level of voltage/amps to the LED's because of cost and size constraints. It could be done better at or close to the same cost but only for lower levels of output

I agree, it turned out stupid.
But this is just information from which you can build on.
And you can trust independent reviews that are made by owners of lamps on such thematic forums.
Therefore, I ask the owners of these flashlights to find out the operating mode of the flashlight, in which it can work without shutting down due to excess temperature. This will be a real characteristic on the basis of which the lamps can be compared.

Ok. Sorry, I don't have the time but maybe someone else can do it in the stepped mode of operation.

Thanks for the information.
This is quite simple to do.
No need to use ramping (smooth brightness change).
You need to see what fixed mode is set on the flashlight.
And during normal operation (along the way, without wasting any special time), starting from the junior mode in the middle group, note the operating time for a full cycle of batteries (fully charged beforehand).
Without devices, we will not measure the drop in luminous flux, but this is not important, but we will measure the operating time in a fixed mode and this will be a good proven characteristic.

It turned out that this information should be understood as follows: “after a turbo mode of 5000 lumens (a certain number of seconds), the flashlight reduces the brightness to a certain value at which it works for the specified amount of time”.

Presumably the Sofirn Q8 flashlight should keep the mode from ~ 1000lm to ~ 1500lm without overheating.

It is interesting to find out this mode (maximum) without overheating, for Sofirn Q8, Sofirn Q8Pro and HaikeLite HK04 4xCREE XHP50.2.
Then it will immediately become clear who is worth what.
And you can already make a choice between the sizes.