HAPPY ENDING - Received a dead HD2010 :(...

To remind everybody… this one (the one I have) only works if the reflector is removed :(…

Yes, I know, put some tape on it… I will, if I decide to keep it…

in my opinion if your really like the flashlight host, just keep it.
return and trying to buy the similar light from somewhere else is likely to give you the same issue (maybe minus broken o-ring and misplace insulator). and yet you waste time and disgruntle for just waiting it :smiley:

so, if possible ask for partial refund as compensation for the issues, and you can change the driver to at least 2.8 or 3.5A and happily ever after :smiley:

sorotantaz,

I hear you (and all the others)… And you got me, exactly, because I’ve been looking around for another HD2010 :)… I’m still not sure what I’m going to do though…

LOL, because I’m doing the same way but the only difference is I’ve been looking it before buying. and after reading all varieties spread all over, decided to buy ZYT08 instead of HD2010 :stuck_out_tongue:

I held off for a (relatively) long time, on getting the HD2010, but I kept seeing mention that it was such a “great light” and “a beast”, and I had a Tmart coupon “burning a hole in my pocket”, and ordered without spending a lot of time checking into it.

Then, while waiting for it to arrive, I started scanning some of the HD2010 threads, and started seeing messages about “weak driver”, but by then, it was too late.

Another lesson learned, I guess :)…

Thanks,
Jim

Most likely these differences were due to different batteries and/or DMM being used.
:beer:

Hi,

I wanted to let you all know that I’ve decided that whenever Tmart gets around to providing the return label, I’m going to returning this HD2010 to them.

I’ve been on the fence (happens a lot with me :laughing: about trying to mod it as a lot of you suggested, so I took it back out of the packing, to see how it worked. I taped the bottom of the reflector so there’d be no contact with the emitter wires, and then took it out. Before taking it out, I tried it in the house, and it worked. Ok, good.

Then, I took it outside, and tried to turn it on, and… nothing.

Ok, so loosen the bezel/reflector. Still… nothing.

Did that a couple of times, and same thing happened.

So, I think that my conclusion is that there’s probably something wrong with this particular HD2010, other than the stuff that has already been mentioned, and I figured why do I want to spend more time and effort not modding the light for the better, but just debugging it?

That just doesn’t make sense to me.

So, like I said, back it goes to Tmart, whenever.

So, thanks for all of the help and suggestions!

And, BTW, yes, I am going to be on the look out for another one, so if anyone has any suggestions (e.g., maybe the current one from Lightmalls, the Fandyfire from FT, whatever) for a CURRENT HD2010, please do post here?

Thanks again,
Jim

I told ya about Tmart and them sending DOA stuff. But you’re really lucky that they even responded to you. These days I try to save myself the headaches and just shop somewhere else.

lucky never shop at Tmart :smiley:
fandyfire HD2010 at FT is measured at 2.3A for high mode as per their staff measurement. the cheapest fandyfire is at lightcastle. just $1ish less compared to FT.
some other HD2010 with ultrafire label is higher $40-50 at KD with exception at Lightmalls around $32.

Hi,

It looks like you and I have been looking around at the same places :).

From what I can tell, the places that do mention current are almost all saying 2.3 amps now (DX says 1.9 amps). I think that I saw one place that was still saying 4 amps, but I tend to not believe that anymore. You all who got one of the ones with the EAST-092 driver lucked out :)!

FYI, I just got the return label from Tmart, and we’ll be shipping the HD2010 back tomorrow (today).

Later,
Jim

to be honest there aren’t many quite decent online retailer available to look at, so we must end up meeting at the same places Jim :slight_smile:
btw, there is my friend, bought ultrafire version and still got EAST 092 driver. able to draw about 5A from his keeppower and AW, and yet he decided to change the driver to the lower current one. not too safe he said for an XML driven at 5A.

How recently did your friend buy that Ultrafire HD2010, and from where?

I guess some time around 2 months ago.
I’d would have to ask him first for sure when have a chance and revert back here.

Thanks.

BTW, are you up 24x7? You seem to respond to my posts all day/night :)!

LOL :smiley:
currently I’m on my leave so more free time.
wake up around 6:00, can be lazy and online few hours in morning and now is 19:21 here, will be on until later tonight :smiley:

I had similar issues, but now I really like my HD2010. Like you, when I got it there were immediate problems. Very low power, contact with the reflector for that well reknowned short, and the pill was loose. So I fixed all the issues about it actually working (part of that was the order of assembly, with the bezel holding the reflector down snug I then put the pill end of the light together, screwed the pill up against the reflector snug with a piece of shrink wrap tubing as an insulator) the little black ring with square hole is for centering, lines up the emitter in the center of the reflector. Anyway, once I got everything tight and working there was still that low power issue.

So I put the QLite driver in and am delighted with it’s performance. It’s got a very nice hot spot with generous spill to illuminate the surrounding area as well.

Ok, so, that said…I just shelled out the bucks for a Solarforce S2200 with MT-G2 emitter. Massive reflector with 2200 lumens of power. Simple easy to use interface with hidden blinkies. Like that, they’re there if you want them but you have to go looking for them with a 2 second hold on the selector switch. This light is not a budget deal. Even with a good price direct from Solarforce it’s pretty expensive. Plus it takes 3 18650’s. But it should wallop the HD2010 in the throw dept with well over twice the output and a very seriously huge reflector. 70+mm lens vs some 50mm and the depth is also equally insane.

There’s other things out there, with better builds and more power that work as-is without modification being a requirement. But expect to pay for that luxury.

Jim, my friend bought the KD version when it was around $40ish for the first time…

@DBCstm, yes the solarforce either s1100 or s2200 is both impressive light.have been reading the review…also the crelant 7G10…top…

My recently received Tmart hd2010 has the same under driven driver too! My insulator around the led was in place so my light works with the exception of high mode being way under driven @ 1 amp. Keep an eye on that insulator as it is easly lost when removing the reflector. Not worth the effort to return and retry as I’m willing to try a different driver.

I’ve been looking into replacing the driver with one of those nanjg drivers and some additional 7135’s as recommended by others on this site. Just have to order the parts.

I have both grey versions from Tmart, the TangsFire one is better. All HD2010 models should be treated as hosts, IMO.

It wasn’t even a good host, in that it was incomplete (missing the O-ring, the black thing floating around the reflector)…