Hardware reason for worse moonlight in Hank dual channel lights?

Thank you for the incredibly detailed explanation, TK!

So that roughly matches with the current error I mentionned above due to the Offset voltage of the op-amp used.

Or two sense resistors as SammysHP mentionned previously in the thread, the solution I use on my drivers, same as Loneoceans, MikeC, Zebralight and I think Armytek as well. And I already mentionned this, but there is enough space on a 22mm board (D4v2) for a dual channel driver with 2 sense resistors, this is also less costly than using a second power channel per LED channel. It would take even less space with a small MCU with two DAC outputs, but unfortunately I don’t think there are AVR MCUs with more than one DAC output.

Does someone know if Hank/Emisar is in the IOSS tax system.

You should ask over in Hank’s thread.

Nice job explaining TK. It has been almost 38 years since I went thru the basic digital and analog electronics classes and when you don’t use it everyday it becomes much less clear. I always loved working with opAmp circuits, but have not had to build one in a couple of decades!

Good to know, haven’t noticed it yet. Thanks for the hint!

I remember seeing the thread but I couldn’t find it with the search option.
Thanks and sorry for the OT

Interesting. So it activates one sense resistor at a time, and uses a single control pin? How does it switch between the two resistors? Does the ramp get blocky just above the transition point due to the suddenly-decreased resolution? How do you avoid a gap or zig-zag in the ramp when it switches from max on one resistor to min on the other?

It sounds like a great way to improve low modes without adding much extra hardware. I just haven’t used one like that, so I’m not sure how it works or what to expect from it.

There is a whole thread about it (thefreeman’s HDR Anduril 2 high efficiency drivers - update : FWxA boost driver) and also some more, but I’m sure thefreeman can link to a good post that summarize everything important.

Yes one control pin, it can be filtered PWM like Noctigon drivers or DAC. It switches between the two sense resistors with a low RdsON power mosfet. ​Here is the schematic of my linear driver with DAC control :

When Q2 (HDR FET) is OFF, the sense resistance is LP (low power) Rsense = R6=5.6Ω
When Q2 is ON, the sense resistance is HP (high power) Rsense = R5+Q2+stray resistance = 10.2mΩ (technically R6 is in parallel but it’s relatively very high so it doesn’t influence it).

The full scale Vsense = Vset = VREF x R2 / (R2 + R1) = 51.1mV
VREF being the MCU internal reference voltage used, in this case 2.5V
For PWM control that would be the LDO voltage.

So the top HP current will be 51.1mV/10.2mΩ = 5A
Top LP current = 0.0511V/5.6Ω = 9.1mA

Bottom currents depends on the dimming ratio, Gchart implemented dynamic VREF so that we can use 2.5V and 0.55V VREF, greatly increasing the dimming ratio and resolution of the 8bit DAC : 255 x 2.5/0.55 = 1159, so a ratio of 1: 1159.

Bottom HP = 5A/1159 = 4.3mA
Bottom LP = 9.1mA/1159 = 7.9uA
That said I prefer to not use the lowest level because it can flicker a bit, also it’s not very precise due to the offset voltage I mentionned in the comment above. So I use the second level instead :
Bottom HP = 8.6mA
Bottom LP = 15.8uA

There is some overlap between the two ranges (top LP > Bottom HP) which is needed to calculate a ramp that will transition smoothly between them (without gap or zig-zag as you mentioned).

Link to a spreadsheet with a calculator for resistors and ramp (read only, copy to use).
And Gchart’s HDR&DAC implementation : hwdef , cfg .

In hwdef you can see that LED2_ENABLE_PIN controls the regulator and LED_ENABLE_PIN controls the HDR FET (Q2), which turns on at ramp level 35. In cfg you can see that the DAC level goes back to 1 at this ramp level 35 (here a minimum DAC level of 1 was used, not 2). The PWM_TOPS values determine if VREF is 0.55 (”16”) or 2.5V (”18”). The top LP DAC level at ramp level 34 is 241 (2.5V), not 255 due to the overlap of the two ranges.

Both LP/HP and VREF transition are smooth.

So this driver uses the DAC of the attiny1616, it has some advantages over filtered PWM :

- lower component count, no need for fixed VCC : no LDO (& LDO input capacitor), MCU can read VCC=Vbatt : no Vbatt divider, no PWM filtering needed : no filter cap.

- virtually instant rise/fall time, better for fast strobe modes and range transition (more on that below * )

- potentially lower MCU power consumption for very long low output runtime by putting the MCU in ULP mode, I think it should be possible to beat Zebralight that way.

• no current ripple

Some considerations :

-

Well, yes, the steps at the bottom of the HP range are 4.3mA each in the present circuit with DAC, which is close to what it was with the 5A linear driver before dynamic PWM. Personally I think its okay, but if dynamic PWM is used instead of the DAC then we would get finer steps.
Another solution is to increase the minimum level of the bottom of the HP range, we have a huge dimming range available and even if bottom HP level = 10/1159 so 43mA , the bottom LP current will still be under 100uA with 2/1159, which is still a very low moonlight level. At 43mA, 4.3mA steps shouldn’t be visible, I think, need to test.

- * PWM has a rise/fall time depending on the values used for the low pass filter. When transitioning from LP to HP range, Vset needs time to fall to the bottom HP value, otherwise the output will be too high for a short moment. That means that the HDR FET should wait for Vset to fall before turning on and this delay will make a blink. With the LPF values used in the Noctigon linear driver the rise/fall curve looks like this :

It would need around 15ms delay, which is a bit long, I think the mid ramp blink (when used) is 4ms ? (Though it is at a brighter level) so longer than that, a faster LPF could be used if the frequency is increased, by using fast PWM instead of phase correct, since losing 0 and top PWM level is not a problem for a CC driver, and if there are other tricks to increase the frequency ?. Also if more ripple is acceptable (IMO it is).

- HDR FET choice is critical because its resistance is included in HP Rsense, it needs to be very low and consistent between parts at the drive voltage, which is constant with PWM control (LDO voltage) but not with a DAC control.

I use the DMN22M5UFG (POWERDI3333-8, 3.3x3.3mm), it has very consistent Rdson and low variation with Vgs = Vbatt :

Less than –0.1mΩ between parts (I tested more than two),–1% Iout with HP Rsense = 10mΩ
–2.5% Iout max from 4.2 to 2.8V (in a DAC driver).
About –2% from 20 to 50°C.

So there is a bit of variation due to the FET being part of HP Rsense, but IMO not problematic at all.

It costs about 0.6$ per pcs for 100pcs, which is basically the additional cost of the two sense resistors topology. There might be some cheaper suitable Chinese FETs but searching for those is difficult.

Main advantages are :

- applicable to all topologies : linear, buck, buck-boost, boost.

- all constant current

- huge dimming ratio

• only two additional components

Coming back to the amount of space needed for a dual channel driver with two sense resistors, I think it can fit in a 22mm driver (D4v2), but probably quite cramped with 0603 sized passives and the T1634, the advantage of the T1616 even if the DAC isn’t used, is that it just needs 1 trace (UDPI) from the MCU for flashing , which is a big space saver over the older flashing interface, on top of being 3x3mm instead of 4x4mm.

Here is the linear DAC&HDR driver Gchart built :

20mm with 16mm clearance, the components are spread out for easy building.

I sent you a PM on another matter, not sure if you got it?

To be clear, it’s totally possible to get lower moonlight through just firmware modifications.

Here’s a comparison all shot with fixed exposure

Stock config moonlight:

Modified firmware with 0/16383 + leakage only is noticably (~50%) dimmer:

Modified firmware to keep LEDs on when light is in sleep mode is way (~95%) dimmer:

I’m not entirely sure why the same PWM level is dimmer when the light is off with the channel forced on; I assume it probably has something to do with the microcontroller being in sleep mode, but I wasn’t able to verify since I bricked my light trying to figure it out :frowning:

Ok so I’ve gotten a new light and started playing around with this a bit more.

I can say for certain that lower mode happens because the light is in SLEEP_MODE_PWR_DOWN instead of SLEEP_MODE_IDLE.

However the limitation is that when the device is in SLEEP_MODE_PWR_DOWN, it can’t process button presses.

Normally the way that the light works around this in off mode is that as soon as the button is pressed, the light exits SLEEP_MODE_PWR_DOWN and assumes the button was pressed and then carries on from there. This approach doesn’t work directly when the light is at the lowest level because typically the light will still be in the lowest level when the button is pressed (before the button press is processed). What needs to happen here is that a separate moon mode is added which is exited from (to SLEEP_MODE_IDLE) when the button is pressed.

I don’t really have time to implement this for right now, but it seems straightforward enough if anyone wants to work on it.

This is very interesting work. Sorry to hear you lost a light. Is the middle picture you posted the same brightness as a single channel light?

I have a dual d4s I can experiment on. It’ll be a while before I can try to implement an ultarlow as in the final picture, but I will give it a try at some point.

Yes the middle picture is 0/16383 with leakage only, which should be roughly the same amount of current as a single-channel light.

Here’s a HEX file for the D4V2 for anyone that wants to try it out: anduril.2022-01-21.moonmod.emisar-d4v2-tintramp.hex - Google Drive

D4SV2 version without PWR_DOWN mod: anduril.2022-01-21.moonmod.emisar-d4sv2-tintramp.hex.hex - Google Drive

There are some limitations! The light must be in active mode when the button is being pressed, so you won’t see the lower moon mode until you release the button. For example, if you turn on the light by holding down the button from off, you’ll see the normal 0/511 brightness until you release the button, at which point the brightness should drop significantly. Additionally, because of the way Anduril works for the moment, I’m only able to activate the lower moon mode after a long press. So if you’re somehow able to get to the bottom of the ramp from any method other than some number of clicks and then a hold, I can’t get this lower moon mode to activate; maybe someone can help me with that?

Please remember to do 7H —> 1C to enable the lowest brightness on the bottom of the ramp.

Not sure if I’m going to be able to get lockout mode working.

Disclaimer: flash at your own risk.

Note that this mod (in general, not this binary) should also work on non dual-channel lights for super low-lows.

Known issues:

• turns out on the D4SV2, the leakage in PWR_DOWN is so low that the LEDs just turn off, so the additional mod isn’t useful.

I’ve created a unified version for both the D4V2 and D4SV2:

Brightness level 1 (7H —> 1C) is 0/511 WITH the PWR_DOWN mod (for D4V2, but feel free to try on the D4SV2)

Brightness level 2 (7H —> 2C) is 0/511 WITHOUT the PWR_DOWN mod (for D4SV2)

For reference, Brightness level 3 (7H —> 3C) is 2/16363 the minimum brightness of the unmodded firmware

This way you can easily compare all three moon modes.

I compared an earlier version of the above on d4sv2.

Using 2700k-4000k sst-20 channels. Manker e02h ii moonlight levels as reference.

The 4000k hit 3/6 and 4/6 with and without the sleep mode.

The 2700k was barely visible looking right at the emitters in sleep mode. Without it, it’s between 1/6 and 2/6.

Will try the new hex tomorrow night.

it would help if you could speak in Lumens

My Manker, but it has at least 6 different moonlight levels, but it has a different LED.

I suggest you measure the Lumens, so we can speak in terms of specific numbers.

I have absolutely no way of measuring lumens, sorry.

If someone with a integrating setup wants to flash this firmware to test, please do so.

Also note that as with the “regular” Emisar moonlight modes, number of lumens may vary significantly based on LED and exact driver characteristics.

The lows seem a lot lower on my LH351Ds and W2s than it seems like the previous poster was getting on SST-20s