Has anyone tested a LumeCube 2.0?

I’m currently testing a LumeCube 2.0. Whilst the sustained output is impressive - 100% output for 80 minutes, my ceiling bounce tests are coming out at less than 1000 lumens, far less than the claimed 1,500 lumens. I can’t find any technical reviews online, so interested to know if there are any reviews I’ve missed, or if anyone who owns one wants to try a ceiling bounce test to see if they get the same results as me?

you could ask this guy if he can test

claimed outputs are often optimistic

I hope the amount of light you are getting is suitable for the task

I’m only borrowing it from another photography for a fortnight as the company declined my request for a review sample, so can’t send it onto someone else. I would have thought that at least a few people on this forum would own one. I’ll charge it back up, and try again tonight, as it wasn’t on full charge, though I have already tested that it can sustain 100% of original output until it abruptly turns off at 80 minutes, so that shouldn’t be the issue. The lights I compared it against were all within +/- 10% of what I would expect, and were consistent with each other, so I don’t think my testing method is incorrect. Just have to be careful before I publish a review!

:person_facepalming:
been there

I was suggesting you contact that guy to test HIS cube, not yours

That user was last seen on this forum 8 months ago :frowning:

Given that the device could maintain it’s original output throughout the runtime, I would surprised if charge was the issue, but lets see when I retest tonight. Will update with results. Now doing a charging time test.

good luck with the output test for your review
:+1:

I haven’t used one, but have seen them in action very closely, they are very common among wedding photographer and videographers. I would say ~900lm is about right, 1,500lm would be exaggerated. They were using 2 in a small room with little external lighting and it got decently bright for the shoot. I was extremely impressed with the output and how well it held it there steady, I stood there waiting for the step down and it never happened. None of my flashlights close to this size would be able to perform like this.

Brightness wise it got the job done, however the tint didn’t seem very nice or uniformly spread as a dedicated video light with variable temp and high CRI emitters.

Thanks for the feedback. 900lm is roughly where I’m currently placing it, pending re-testing. I quite like the tint and CRI (the 2.0 version is 95CRI 5600k), but agree that video lights would be far better for portraits.

An update on this - further ceiling/wall bounce testing of the LumeCube 2.0 showed an estimated lumen output of only 650 lumens, far less than the claimed 1,500lm. This matched visual estimates against other lights too.

The battery charging time was 3 hours, with a max charging current of 850mA, the battery capacity would be less than 2500mAh. Given that 100% output lasted for 81 minutes, this also roughly supports the measured lumen output.