Has anyone torn down an Olight S20?

Yes saw it on GoingGear’s site and on olight-usa (another dealer’s), strange though I can’t find anything about it on Olights company site www.olightusa.com, and nothing about the S20 on their site anymore either.

I really like the magnet tail, I wish they would offer a NW version.

I got luckier with my S20, the tint is not that bad, with only a bit of the greenish tint around the corona of the hotspot. I found that placing a piece of very light amber camera filter lens over the S20 lens made the tint near perfect. I might cut out the camera filter to the size of the S20’s lens and fit it in under it.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. By rotating the pill i got it out :slight_smile: Now i need to decide which led to put in…

Can anyone identify which MCU it is in the S20 driver?
It seems to be a 14-pin DFN package with the following text on it:

2xLD

Nothing else, no manufacturer logo. Only a little dot probably indicating position of pin 1.
If someone could confirm that this is a PIC or Atmel pin-compatible MCU, that would be enough :slight_smile:

Hats off to Olight! I just reflowed a nw XM-L onto the original star, and they do have a copper star, with no dielectric at the thermal pad.
That is very good thermal design! (wink @ nitecore…)

Where should I go to purchase this light?

Personally, I got the best deal on Ebay for about $36.00 with free shipping from Hong Kong.

$35.99 Free shipping

Has anyone bought theirs from here, mine that came from doingoutdoor has a pure yellow tint vs the green tint others are reporting from other stores

I’ve bought four of them from doing outdoor. Now I think I really want the new M18 maverick.

were yours green tinted?

Damn i paid about twice as much for mine! Now i want to get another one…

I guess there is some green tint, about the same as most retail XP-G lights. I never really noticed it until I got on this thread. You’re going to find some kind of tint discrepancy in any light when doing comparisons on a white wall. Under normal use, it’s not obvious enough to bother me. I’m not even going to bother changing the LED, unless I get an M18 Maverick , then maybe I’ll play around with the S20 emitter.

I have to disagree. No offense whatsoever ouchy to your opinion of course, and I realize everyone will have a different opinion, this is just mine.

Maybe (like others have said) I really lost on the tint lottery, but with this light its most disappointing because I love things about this light the more than all other lights I have, but hate the tint on medium & low, and it’s not just when comparing to other lights on a white wall, it’s when I’m actually using it, especially outdoors. (it’s much better on high) I guess I’m even more spoiled because I’ve been EDCing a NW light for about a year and a half.

It’s a love-hate relationship with this light, love the UI, the side switch, the clip, the magnet, the build quality, the brightness, doesn’t heat up fast, 18650 capacity and the compact size. Absolutely hate the tint on medium/low.

And as far as comparing on a white wall with other lights I would understand how a NW light would be a very noticeable difference, but when I compare it side by side to some of my cool white budget lights (Trustfire Z8, TomTop SK-68) the budget lights look almost pure white compared to the S20’s horrible green tint on medium and low! So much that it makes those CW budget lights look like they are NW!

Olight are you reading this??!!

Bort, what does the tint on yours look like when comparing between medium and high? I bought mine from Doingoutdoor and it has a horrible green tint on medium and low. Not as bad on high.

What was the outcome, how do you like the tint now? Is it more yellowish than expected? Did you change/modify anything else on it?

low and medium are very yellow, almost slightly orange, and on high its a very warm white

That’s strange, first time I’ve heard that from anyone, I know there is a variance possible but I’m surprised it could be completely different like that. I’m not sure if that would be better than the greenish unless you like warm white, mine’s a cool white on high, it has a noticeably greenish tint when compared to a NW light on a white wall.

thats why i asked if anyone else had had the colour i have, i kind of wonder if i may have a clone or knockoff

Now it is more yellowish. Better, but i am still not happy. High mode is a little better, but not perfect, so i guess it is at least partly the emitter’s fault.

When i get around to it, i’ll try to put in a Nichia. As the tailcap current measurement suggests, it will be 1.5A at maximum (if the driver doesn’t buck down at that current with a LI-Ion… which i guess it won’t). So XP-G/Nichia won’t be overdriven, just driven hard. In my Quark X with a Nicha in it, the tint is perfect at every mode, and Quarks also do constant current, not PWM, so i expect the same from the Olight S20 when nichiafied.

I just need to make an XM-L centering piece fit the smaller format, which might be done with 2 component epoxy.