Has anyone tried this LED upgrade for Maglites?

Hey, I received your email today :) funny to see the similar question here

(1lumen)

The ANSI meters are very misleading and overrated concept. We know they calculate the numbers with a formula using measured lux numbers, but what exactly do you see at that distance? just the light, brightly illuminated object, how wide of an area is illuminated?
I know that 3x hxp50 drop in will illuminate huge area to 240m according to the numbers, but what will you see at 240m with a drop in rated at 380m? a small area with very little to no spill? how usefull will that be? How often do you need to light up a small area 300+ meters away, vs lighting up your entire backyard when you looking for something, or a room, or how useful will a pencil beam be while you changing a tire, or working under the hood? In my experience in about 95% cases flood is a lot more useful. My choice would be the first drop in, however it is 2 and 4 times more expensive than others. Also it needs rechargeable cells to provide enough power to light it up fully, other drop ins will shine at full brightness with alkaline cells, at least initially.

Can’t agree more. Possessing of weapon, even for strictly self defense purpose, is still a challenge for many parts of the world. As such, a 6D Maglite with batteries loaded is more useful than a baseball bat, IMHO.
And if I can make it even more useful by upgrading to brighter lighting then it’s a go in my book!

Hello there, you raised excellent points there. I forgot to mention that I hav 3 of those 6D MAGlite so cost does add up! Was really hoping to find someone w/ real life experience to share their thoughts on how accurate those figures posted on the website are…

Over last 15 years or so i build dozens of lights, so i can pretty accurately tell what each of those drop in is capable of.

first drop in, looks to have triple ledil cute optics, i build several lights with such lenses, 2 of them were for the scratch made contests here on blf, one had xml2 leds, other xhp50. both had very even floody beam, no sharp hotspot\spill transition. very easy on the eye optic, unlike those ringy reflectors, especially with warm leds,

second is a basic ~50mm reflector you get on kd, or dx, but with custom build tail with a driver. i used several different ones, with xml2 leds, it is somewhat tight hotspot and moderate spill, there is a sharp transition, same with sst40. thou those reflectors vary, their angles vary, the one in your link is a smooth reflector, for tight narrow beam,

third link has the same drop in, made by someone else, it is rated 1200lm, vs 900lm, even if numbers are true, there is little difference to the naked eye. someone rates their drop ins by max led lumens, others out the front lumens OTF. so those last 2 i do not think are much different, thou quality of components and craftsmanship is different with different manufacturers.

You can see beamshots in each of your links. they show pretty good pictures.