Has there ever been a BLF souped up SRK clone?

Hi all,

I searched the BLF special edition lights section and list but didn’t find any SRK type of light…

Maybe i missed it…

I like this form factor a lot except for heat sinking… I can imagine a triple XPL or MTG… or XHP50… with an appropriate driver.

Any past or future project to that end?

I don’t recall there being a BLF version ever.

I don’t mind these, but a bit bulky and heavy to carry about. I’m not convinced they can be all that useful with a hotter driver though.

My one is a 4 x XM-L2, but with the good 7amp driver and the better heat sinking. On high it gets physically hot quite quickly and too hot to hold in a short while. If it had 3amp per LED or higher, it’d be useless with only a short on time.

The M43 from In’t outdoor is probably the best version of a soda can light IMO.

Lots of hosts that could be used like the solarstorm t3 and t4. But they would need better cooling and the price would be a factor in a light like this im guessing they would easily be $100 by the time you build it.
AR coated glass
Copper mcpb
4 times XPLHI
Runs on 4 18650
Copper pill
Tail cap switch and electronic side switch

You could probably get 4000 lumen without it being to crazy hot?

But if you do start a group buy I’m already down for one.

I think a better starting off point like an M6, or a quad Nage, or the quad handle Review: Quad XML2 Flooder [Similar design as a UF-T90], E-Switch in Handle (4x XML2, 1 - 4x 18650) would be better. That way all that needs to be upgraded would be the emitter, mcpcb, and driver.

Would still probably be $50+ though.

How about an M6 made by Acebeam with 3 XHP50s. ?
And a tiny video camera to record people shielding their eyes

Me too

The M43 has too much wasted aperture to have much throw. SRKs have the reflectors siamesed to use almost the full available aperture.

I should have updated this thread long ago…

Here is the BLF Q8 development thread and group buy:

And the BangGood listing:

Thanks to The Miller and all the people who got involved in this project.
I would have been happy with 3k lumens… but i’ll take the 5k+! :+1:

Cool !!!

From dream to reality! Pushing the boundaries of what a $40 light can do!

So this is the thread that started it all! From tiny acorns…

Well… someone had to ask.

The SRK soup can is one unique flashlight and i haven’t seen anybody say “what ugly thing is this! i wont even get close to it”… once they’ve had their vision/brain fried. It looks like a high tech weapon, it feels like a grenade and it blows away - even though it was just 2k+ lumens at the time. Whenever i have one of those “what was that noise in the garden?” moment, that’s one light i grab to have a look. The problem is you can’t find any more of those ‘original’ ones. Last time i bought one i got ice cold LB leds with half the output, and the light stopped working quite quickly.

I asked again a few weeks later: Are there any ‘good’ SRK clone left out there?

and then came The Miller on April 6 2016:

He (an a whole team) did all the work! I’ve just been watching in amazement!
I love BLF! :heart_eyes:

T don’t recall any past BLF version of a SRK. I did a heavy mod to a SkyRay Kung a couple years go, used a copper block heat sink, nearly direct drive on a modded/shunted JB driver, four XM-L2s, on four 30Q cells it draws 14 amps. (had to resistor it back a bit after it got so hot one LED un-flowed itself from the copper star. it still gets as hot as a camp stove in a minute or less, so it can only be run on high for a short time, but its still a fun wall of radiation from a beer can. :smiley:

That’s what the BLF Q8 will be stock - with a more appropriate design on efficiency, heat sinking and current flow.

DTP MCPCBs make a huge difference in LED case temperature

Well, as far as i understand it will pull more - around 16-18A, for 6k+ lumens at startup.
Tom E published in the Q8 thread a picture of a clamp meter showing 20+ amps on proto 3 after spring bypass.

I must have missed thst test then.