Have you ever experienced a natural disaster?

Been through a blizzard or two in NY, nothing crazy. Been there for Hurricane Sandy but it wasnt terrible where I was, couple of downed trees on cars and that’s it. I was an electrician at the time and spent months afterwards on Long Island, we had a job there inside a massive chocolate factory, Hershey’s, Dove stuff like that. Entire facility got wrecked, imagine working in ankle deep moldy chocolate for weeks trying to replace and restore power. Smelled so bad. . .

If it counts… a couple of F3 and an F4 tornado. Helped with the cleanup each time within 5 miles of home. A couple of severe blizzards in the 70’s that dropped power for days and the only way we could go anywhere was by snowmobile for almost 1.5 weeks. We do not get the hurricanes in Illinois, very thankful!

I got married 3 times, disaster, natural or otherwise.

Edit: yeah, lots of smallish tornadoes that wrecked things, both here and at neighbors. An F5 that hit Jarrel TX, watched that one form and go colossal (it eradicated a small community, even removed the asphalt from the sreet, as a builder I was shocked to see bare slabs with not so much as anchor bolts sticking out of the concrete… over 40 concrete slabs without a trace of the house that sat on em. Wall clouds with their wind damage, a couple of Hurricanes coming into Mississippi while I was running out…

Mostly storm type, with wind damage and trees to cut up and clear roads. Haven’t been in an Earthquake (and DO Not wish to be!) and haven’t seen a Volcano in action. Seen a couple of blizzards, in Virginia and one here at home (big surprise, that!) Used to ride my motorcycle to work regardless, would take the battery inside if temps were going to be below 20ºF, have ridden it at 12º before, had to have a trouble light under the oil pan so the oil would be warm enough to allow the engine to turn over and start. Rode a bike home in snow, over an overpass, feet sticking out like outriggers and sweating that 30’ drop to the main road below…

Drove a forklift for a truss plant, left early with my feet frozen and had to clear ice off the winshield to leave, had to stop twice more on the 5 mile trip home to again clear ice off the windshield. Nasty day, that one! People were wrecking all over town, an inch or more of ice coating virtually everything.

This planet is indeed a violent place.

Living in a tropical country
All of us have, and will, experience disaster, from just heavy rain to flood, storm

Been through a bunch of hurricanes in my life but nothing as bad as Sandy. We lost power for 2 weeks and back side of my next door neighbor’s roof blew off. Luckily, my house wasn’t damaged in any way. I had a generator with only 15 gallons of fuel. I was able to get by using it sparingly just to keep my refrigerator cool enough so my food wouldn’t spoil.

BTW, My stove and hot water heater are natural gas fired and do not require electricity to work.

Nothing direct, but some interesting.

As a child, sometime in the late Eighties, my region (NE Texas) experienced a once-every-hundred-year flood with over 12” of rain in a short time. We then had a second one the very next week. Our house was on high ground, and we were okay. We lost power for nearly a week though. My mom would cook our meals on a camp stove.

I was living in Henderson TX when hurricane Ike hit a few years ago. The storm still had hurricane force winds even this far North. We had trees down everywhere, and lost power. I packed up perishable food in a cooler, packed my air mattress, and drove to my office (I worked at a power plant so they had electricity there) and spent the night.

Earlier this spring, I was caught in the big tornado that passed through Canton and demolished Fruitvale. I mentioned that one in another thread then:

The crazy part is—We like it so much—we look for some one else to start the cycle all over again—-LOL

My wife has a niece in Katy—-she’s all good but she said certain areas around her were starting to flood

1950 friday the 13th blizzard in Seattle (day I was born)
Columbus day storm in WA.
Mt. St. Helens in WA.
2007 windstorm in WA.
1996 floods in Portland OR.
:frowning:
(eta. I was a year off twice)

I went through the 1989 earthquake in the SF bay area but only suffered relatively minor financial damages. Others were not as fortunate of course.

The 2011 Tohoku, Japan earthquake. And about 50-100 smaller earthquakes / aftershocks.

This is a must see video of the seismographic Visualisation Map, starting from March 1, 2011.

Just watch 10 seconds and you can understand how many earthquakes there have been around that time.

https://youtu.be/NSBjEvPH2j4?t=1m41s

Every earthquake you see is a magnitude of 3 and bigger.

1994 Northridge earthquake
rebuilt our home from the bones up, and replaced some of the bones

2011 flood in Oregon
were out of the house for 3 months, still unpacking boxes from the garage

do NOT let your insurance lapse, you WILL need it

Just the 2006 Kiholo Bay earthquake. Although Oahu was not significantly damaged by the quake itself, power was out for the entire island. I walked about six miles into Waikiki to see what it was like there, and I saw tourists forming lines that literally wrapped around the block to get food from the few restaurants that were able to serve anything at all!

• Born and raised in Chicago.
  • Y2K

Nothing traumatic, thank B’harni (pbuh!).

Sandy/Irene, Snowpocalypse/Snowmageddon, the eastern seaboard blackout (whatever that was called), local blackout when a van rammed a pole-pig and took out a few blocks’ worth of juice.

Hope I never have to.

My wife made me sit thru all five Sharknados. shudder! :rage:

“I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, ‘Wouldn’t it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?’. So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.”

— Marcus Cole

1974 Xenia Tornado - My first memories
1977-78 Blizzards - Honestly they were a blast for a 6-7 y/o.
1989 Xenia Tornado - Just a little one, but it did pass directly over my car.
1989 Hurricane Hugo - Landfall was the day my Recruit Co. graduated at Parris Island.
1991 Pinatubo Eruption - There for Jungle Survival Training.
1992 Big Bear/Landers Earthquakes

All of you reporting about relationships with women, I think those are categorized as Supernatural disasters. :open_mouth: :wink:

That’s being said, I’ve been in 3 hurricanes: Iwa (Cat 1, 1982), Iniki (Cat 4, 1992) and Iselle (Cat 4, 2014) and a few earthquakes, the largest of which was magnitude 6.6, epicenter about 20 miles from my house in 2006. Back then we had 27” tube TV that sat on an entertainment center in our bedroom. It happened in the morning and my wife and I watched as the TV “walked” off the entertainment center, only to fall glass first into a large pile of unfolded laundry (which I had neglected to finish the night before). Of course, I immediately took credit for saving the TV by leaving the laundry undone. :smiley:

A few tsunami here and there, but they weren’t really disastrous to us (our house is 2500’ above sea level).

And because of all that trauma and what not, that’s why I have to buy so many flashlights and knives.

Ice Storm of 98. I think we were with out power for at least 14 days. Inches of ice on everything. I was 13 and I remember going out with a hatchet to chop up downed trees to burn in the fireplace

Back around 2005 I was living on Hampton Beach, watched 3 tornados go by. I guess a pickup got thrown some 30’ or so onto its roof at a toll booth.

Every so often we get hurricanes.