Have You Guys Seen This New One

I read that these are driven at 2.6 amps each. Would be less bright than Shocker. Darn, I loved the form-factor, and removable handle. Would be like a TK75 in form.

I should be placing my order for this light today. I also plan on getting 4 Panasonic 18650 3400mah protected batteries.

Ok I just ordered the SolarStorm SP03 XM-L2 and 4 Panasonic 18650 3400mah protected batteries for a total of $109.10 shipped. They said they should ship it Friday due to the Chinese holiday.

I’ll let you boys know when I get it.

How did you get 4X Panas 3400 mah, for only 15$?

http://www.soondeal.com/product_view.asp?cid=144&eid=667

Well actually I did’nt figure the shiping involved. But I actually saved buying this flashlight here vs paying $94 something at kaidoman. This light is $104 at Fancy Flashlights.

But remember I already ordered the flashlight and they were charging me $17 shipping just on it. I figureI might as well get 4 of these batteries. They charged me $3 more shipping on top of the $17 so it was $20 total. So actually just $3 more for the batteries.

So really I did get the batteries for $15.06 a pair if you stop and think about it. At $6.78 ea x 4 = $27.12 $3.00$30.12

oooh, i cant wait till u get this one. im gonna keep my expectations low from what i seen from those beam shots. i really hope im wrong cus i like this light.

Well I am hoping this light out throws the Fenix TK75 at least by a decent margin.

It’s got 400 lumens more, it’s not going to have much of a noticeable gain on the TK75, which it has a head identical to…

Yea but it’s XM-L2 U2vs XM-L U2. I know you don’t think that makes a difference. But I can assure you that it does. I have both Catapult V3 in XM-L T6 and XM-L2 U2. The latter smokes the first one. I think the main concern is how hard the driver is pushing each emitter. I heard only 2.6amps. But that is all hearsay. I’ll wait until I get it and see. If it ties the TK75 it’s still one hell of a light for the money.

I've just heard from my contacts and it appears that there is an SP03 winging its way to me. I'm really looking forward to reviewing this one!

I must have missed that it’s XM-L2.
I recall discussing in another thread the properties of xml2 and xml, and there seem to be some people saying xml2 throws better.
While it does seem convincing at first, if you note the xml2 version is always brighter than the xml version.

However it was pointed out by ryan I think that xml2 has a lack of wires over the phosphor which may have lead to a higher surface brightness and ultimately an emitter more oriented towards throw.

Either way if it’s driven at the same as the TK75 it definitely will throw further if the reflector is identical. xml2 is more efficient than xml, which means it will be brighter at the same current, which also equates to more throw (plus the higher surface brightness if that’s actually true).

Looks really good to me.
:heart_eyes:

There you go. I have’nt a clue if that is all correct. But I do know the XM-L2 Catapult V3 is probably putting out around 70,000 to 75,000 lux just going off of all my other lights I have. I now see why Joe says the TN31 XM-L2 offers about 20% better throw over the first version.

Since I can't do anything else with the SP03 until it arrives, I've been digging up what info I can on it. I found a spec sheet for it and it's pretty impressive:

93,000cd and 780m of throw! If they are even close on that it's pretty dang impressive and definitely TK75 territory for half the price!

Detailed Specifications

Brand Solarstorm
Product name SPO3
Color Black
Dimensions 85mm(HD155mm(L114mm(TD)
Weight 635g (Without battery)
LED 3×CREE XM-L2 U2 LED
Battery 4/ 18650 battery
Circuit Digital CC circuit
Mode 5 modes, High-Mid-Low-Standby, hidden Strobe
Dimming Electronic side button switch
Lumens 3020lums-1630lums-360lums-2930lums
Runtime 1h35min-2h44min-6h10min-1h55min
Material Aluminum alloy
Finish Type II hard anodize
Lens Impact-resistant optical lens
Waterproof IPX-8, unable to support dive use.

Other positives:

• XM-L2 U2 emitters
  • Constant Current circuit. Should be PWM free.
  • IPX-8
  • 85mm head
Negatives:
  • No A/R coated lens
  • Only Type II anodizing

That’s good enuff for me Johnny! Thanks.

Yea, looks like great flashlight, i asked Ric about it compared to BTU, sadly he said that the BTU is noticeably brighter/better, and has alot better throw,

Solarstorm ~ 400m and BTU ~ 800. So the specs are alot exaggerated regarding throw i guess. But hey, this flashlight is still amazing as well for the money!

If we take the 93kcd reading as accurate, it still would not give us 780m of throw:

The (ANSI) formula is: √lux*0.5 = meters to 0.25lux (moonlight)

This would give us a throw of 610 meters, and to 1 lux it would give us 306 meters (to get 1 lux, don’t multiply by half).

Since their distance calculations are off, it raises suspicions on what else about that spec sheet could be inaccurate.

Any updates? Has anyone posted a review somewhere?

Here

This was one of the lights I decided to keep if that will tell you guys anything. It’s a better deal than the TK75 by far.