Head comparison X8 X9 BC40 STL-V2

You have two good one,s right there, if you want a cheap light with massive spill and decent throw search the trustfire TR-3T6 on here

Do you think that it's worth spending the money for it, I have been reading on the TR-3T6 and the STL-V2 but I have read and recently had 2 sky-ray both burnt out and I am getting the run around from Manafont I thought they would stand behind their product.

The TR-3T6 is a better buy to me and you can easily get spare drivers and parts for it from manafont

Not only that but the TR-3T6 has a rock solid rep for reliability. A great light that can run on one, two, or three cells.

Do you have to buy extra tubes extenders for more battery options?

There is two models
TR-3T6 2 x 18650’s
And the
TR-3T6 3 x 18650’s that will run on 2 or 3 18650’s if you read my thread on here there is all the info on it there
Review TrustFire TR-3T6 Triple XM-L T6 5-Modes Memory LED Flashlight (3x18650)

I forgot about that, I went to Manafont and I had both of them in my cart. Which would you get?

I cant seem to to see it listed anywhere but how many lumens is it? Will there be a difference in the 2 or 3 battery lumens? Thanks alot guys.. Has anyone ever had trouble with Manafont on them standing behind what they sell..

Edit: benckie - Great write up/review you did on this light, and thank you for your time with all my questions...

The driver is buck pluss boost with constant current so two or three 18650 will produce the same lumens I suggest the 3 x 18650 model as it gives you more options and has a claimed 0.5 amp regulation, it will not burn out like the sky ray IMO due to the current draw will not scale up. There is plenty on links on my thead for both models just ignore the eBay link as that was a fake, all the info is on my thread

Here are a couple of photos I took today comparing the x9 to the UF-980L.

I appreciate it, mizjif. Good comparison.

My pleasure :) sorry for the grainy low-light iphone photos haha.

the x9 is a winner thanks mizjif

:) no problem guys, glad i could help! I will try to get some white wall beam shot comparison up, but in the meantime, know that the hotspot on the x9 is at least half the size of the uf-980l, so its tight and once driven to its potential will be an awesome thrower! even right now at the 1a that its driven at, I can see the hotspot inside of the 980l's hotspot when i put them together on the wall. Pretty awesome :)

I don't have the UF 980L, so I can't say which hotspot is brighter.

Generally speaking though, if you superimpose one hotspot over another, the smaller one will always seem brighter than it really is, as that area is receiving the light flux from both flashlights. They need to be compared side by side, without any interaction.

Fair enough! side by side it is still brighter than the 980L though :)

And that with the X9 at 1A!

Mine draws about 1.7A and delivers almost 35 kcd, yet I'm planning to upgrade it to 2.8. Using Panasonic batteries (unprotected), I might just get away with that without the need to modify the tailcap... Tongue out

I have two multimeters (Voltcraft, price range 50-80 EUR). If I connect them in series they display pretty much the same current, so I assume they are accurate enough.

The one I use on flashlights also has a reasonably low internal resistance (leads included).

My main problem in assessing the correct current value is its wild variability.

BTW, my X9 (1.7A) is from eBay as well.

I already have a couple KD drivers "on stock" but I'm waiting for some paste and neutral flux to arrive from DX, as I want to do a better soldering job than I did with my first driver replacement on another light.

what if we swap x9 driver with 980L??

i really love my 980L but only the heat that keeps me away from using it.

x8 is the best thrower so far in my collection, especially when using 2*18650. It has the brightest spot than 980L, c8an x9.

I haven't really compared the throw between x8 and x9. anybody has done it??

The X9 beats the X8 by a fair margin, will see if I can find the original post for you.

Edit: Sorry I was a little off target with this post: the throw difference between the X9 and X8 depends alot on the drivers each have... it seems not all X9s were created equal (but with the 2.8A driver it should out-throw the X8).