Headlamp for employees

One thing to keep in mind is ‘T’ shaped vs ‘L’ shaped lights. An ‘L’ shaped light would just… grate. The asymmetry, shadows on one side, etc., would drive me buggy after a while.

Maybe get one of each, let those who’d be driven buggy by a side-light choose a center-light, or at least experience the difference first before “committing”.

Boruit is a Nitecore clone, but seems more like Nitecore products just priced right. :innocent:

No surprises that the Skilhunt H-03 and the Boruit RJ-02 are the recommendations, they are probably the two most recommended headlamps on BLF.

I have both of them, and am very happy with them.

The Boruit is cheap ($7 or so with coupon) and rechargeable, has ramping and memory, is simple to use, and has a nifty on-off with a wave of your hand feature…
Drawbacks are it is heavier, has a rather clumsy smelly rubber headband, and the usb charge cover will be lost very quickly.

The Skilhunt is still within budget ($24 or so with coupon) and is surprisingly small, light and screams quality, comes with all the bells and whistles in the packaging. Output ranges from moonlight to far too bright for a headlamp, very even floody beam though, perfect for most tasks that do not require far throw.

Drawbacks are it has a rattle when bumped, no charging.

If you are looking at $30 per employee for daily use it’s a no brainer for me. Spread over a few employees you can get an H-03 each, a good batch of quality 18650’s ($4 each roughly) and a good quality analysing charger, Lii-500 is the starting point ($15-20 with coupon) or Zanflare C4. Once introduced to that, no employee will ever want cheap crap again and the savings in battery costs should cover the whole thing fairly quickly.

Thanks everybody. I recently received the Skilhunt H02. I love it. We have about 160 employees. I think it’ll be easier to convince purchasing to get the Boruit.

Have you looked at the Nitecore NU20?

I have. I think it is definitely an option.

You also might wanna take a look at this thread, as it is for another budget Boruit light (despite it is also sold under other names):

:+1:

Skilhunt H15 might be worth looking at, too. AA/14500 powered, under $30, nice strap. Unfortunately, it’s NOT USB rechargeable, but the flexibility of being able to use rechargeable batteries AND primary AA’s in a pinch make it pretty convenient.

Ok, for a test, I ordered 10 of these:

BORUiT EHL0628

and 10 of these:

LiitoKala HG2 300mAH

About $14 each, so cheaper than the Energizers we get currently.

This was one of the reasons that led me to the rechargeable batteries: cost and the amount of cells laying around to throw to trash.
I still use some, but I try to use mostly rechargeables.

Let us know how they feel about the lights when they get the headlights :wink:

I bought the Yupard 18650 headlights from Gearbest and a mix of flat top Li-Ions for my drivers. I have had one fail and it was about 50 days after I issued it so no warranty. The charger is an 8 bank xtar where I have them swap out batteries for ones charged. It comes to about $18 a headlight with batteries and the charging system divided up.
Of course I have to buy a few batteries here and there but not more than 12 a year,

Rechargeable: Wowtac A2S, Boruit

AA: Thrunite Th20

If you can let go of rechargeable it’s really tough to be the H03 on price.

For batteries just go with either the NCR18650GA or Samsung 35E. Both are around 3500mAh.

If I were you, I’d make sure that cheap headlamp has low voltage protection if you are going to use unprotected cells. Chances are, out of the 160 employees, only two or three are going to know anything about lithium ion battery safety. Especially if they are used to using AA batteries. You’re asking for trouble.

Boruit claims that thing is 5000 lumen with a color temp of 7000k to 8000k. May as well string blue christmas lights around their heads… lol

Yes, LVP with auto-off. You can use unprotected batteries here.

how far can this head lamp illuminate?

Just an update, I ordered 10 Boruit EHL0628 and 10 30Q’s. The guys I gave them to love them. The only complaint has been from deckhands that the hand band is not very good. They want the middle strap. I may order the RJ-02 instead.

You can order headband for Skilhunt with middle strap.

This looks like a great headlamp for the price. 1000 lumens and neutral white tint. Also usb rechargeable.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/ON-THE-ROAD-MX3-HL-USB-Charging-LED-Head-Lamp-professional-outdoor-light/3081046_32856183881.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.54cc43d1y1JHhO

Keep in mind some of the things the RJ02 does not have, especially no low voltage protection and a bluer light.

You might consider buying some 3 band headstraps for the guy’s who want it. Something like this.
Headband head Belt head Strap Mount Holder for for diameter 24-28mm LED Flashlight Torch Headlamp
http://s.aliexpress.com/ANfaEJ3a

For close up work, within 5 to 10 feet, the 60° lenses are a big improvement. They don’t do much distance, but are great when working on cars, etc…

You have to read reviews to get to the truth. Output is closer to 500 lumen, maybe a tad more.

The color temp is less blue than the RJ02. I’ve got both and the blue tint bothered me. The newer one is definitely nicer. It’s cool white, but not too cool. It also uses a traditional 20mm star which makes it easy to swap to whatever led you want including nichia (easy for small batches, not 100 lights. That would be a ton of work! Lol). The RJ02 is super hard to replace the led as it doesn’t use a regular star design.