Headlamp with IR function and without flaws ? => Mix of Boruit RJ-02 and D10

I appreciated the Boruit RJ-02 for its IR function. However, It was low on lumens, and I found having the USB charging port behind a rubber flap was less than Ideal, and reviews report it lacks low voltage protection. That was a bit of a deal-breaker for me. The D series 10/20/25 has been considered the successor (at least in this thread ). Boruit added a chinese XM-l2 and housed the port behind a screw-over housing and adding LVP, but also removed the IR function altogether, so it was not much of an upgrade for me, since the IR was what I was after. Below RJ-02 on left and D series on the right.

I then found a listing on aliexpress that seemed to present a mix of the two, a D10 with the IR system back on. It had 0 orders, which didnt encourage me, but I decided to go for it. I’m going to try to resist commenting further on Uranusfire’s choice of brand naming, as I assume there has been threads dedicated to that already :slight_smile: but feel free to point that out if you can’t resist.

the Uranusfire, with a very generic model name, is here , and now has a whopping 2 orders

I received it today, and it is what it looks like, As far as I can tell, its a D10 with the IR

Low and high mode when short tapping the clicky, strobe, SOS and beacon when double tapping, and the IR function when long pressing. After the long press you get to choose 5 light levels that you can then turn on and off with the IR. Waving you hand in front of the light works rather reliably, although it looses reliability with empty cells. With low cells the light output level flickers three times as an indication of low voltage.

The Led sits on a custom PCB with the IR led and sensor.

The tail cap wires to the PCB assembly

I did not unscrew the PCB as there is cooling paste between it and the aluminium body, but I’d say the led sits decently cooled on a slab of aluminium, as the body is in one piece, the bezel holding the reflector is an injection molded piece of plastic screwed into the housing.

The light gives me an IR function on a headlamp that doesn’t have those initial flaws of the RJ-02. So im happy with it. Only thing id like to change is that I’d like the charging port thread to hold down a bit more firmly. The thread pitch is quite wide, so it comes free with quite a light grip.

Sounds absolutely perfect.

if you long press from on does it do the ehlo628 semi ramp to the 5 modes from high to low or low to high ?

• and does it have rhe same no to terrible tint the others had?
  • - does it have the pwm that the r2 has ?
  • When it turns on via IR does it always come on in high?
  • Appreciate your posting this ...i like both lights but each has some flaws / pwm being the worst of them

Does it fit in the headband without the top strap and what is the weight of just the light // and then overall weight as it comes w/ the overhead headband ?

Looks good Fred. Can you measure parasitic drain?

Low voltage protection?

Thanks for posting this, Fred!
If the RJ-02 had adjustable level for IR I never figured out how to access it, glad to hear there are 5, FIVE!, levels to choose from on this one.
I am amazed this can be had for that low of a price. The IR is great for dirty work or when it’s just easier to wave your hand to turn on/off.
If you get a chance could you post the voltage of the battery after fully charged and when LVP starts kicking in?
Thanks either way, great find.

Here goes,

Boaz- After the long press its five discrete modes you tap through, no continuous anything. At this point another long press gets you out of IR mode. (elho628?)

Its definitely not a blue tint, I always go for NW leds when I can choose, and as I’m not annoyed by this one, i’d say its NW.

When it turns on to IR mode, it goes to light level 3 out of 5, always. It cycles backwards from three, so by tapping you access them in this order (given you start on 3) => 2/1/5/4/3. That means i’m not forced into HIGH before entering LOW, also Level 3 and 4 is not bright enough to blind me when i stick my hand in front to use the IR. When I do that on level 5 in complete darkness, I close my eyes as I pass my hand over the IR and I still see what is going on through my eyelids.

with regards to PWM, no noise, and I dont see any flickering. Haven’t seen the micro controller yet, I assume its in the tailcap, but couldn’t get to it yet.

It uses the D series strap, so no top strap like on the RJ-02, I was out running with it yesterday, no bouncing around, so Id say its sufficient. It rotates a full 180 degrees.

weight is 125 grams with the strap and NCR18650GA, 103 grams with no strap. The light is 53 grams, which I think is really good given that there is aluminium under the led still.

MRsDNF -never did it before but I recon I just need to get the tail cap off and get the multimeter out? Its the D10 tailcap, anyone got it open ? currently it sits … its got two holes along the diameter line, so I assume i have to screw it off, but it might be glued.

Hank -im discharging the full 18650GA atm, so ill get back to the LVP, charging came out at 4.18 volts btw.

cheers, im glad you liked the post. Ill have a deeper look at the UI with regards to mode memory as well, ill write about that when this cell is drained and i have something on the LVP.

Low voltage protection. It shuts off at 2.7 volts, like the D10

with regards to the UI and mode memory, the two basic modes, low and high, cycle in that order. It always enters low and does not remember if it was turned off from high the time before. However, after exiting IR mode, it goes back to the mode you entered IR from.

I noticed something that is weird, which is visible on the pic I posted of the inside of the light. There is a mass of white cooling compound coming out in front of the green wire on the inside of the light. I don’t get that at all, and it puts in question what is behind that PCB. Any guesses about that ? Also there is something that looks like an unused hole above the black wire, maybe that was left for the modders …

I’m actually quite curious to tear this thing down and to see whats behind the PCB, but as I don’t have any cooling compound at home right now, the PCB wont come off ATM, but If anyone lets me know how to get the charge cap off, ill go for it :slight_smile:
I’d like to see the driver, the microcontroller and the current regulators! From what I can see, I assume the components on the LED pcb are not involved in the regulation of the led, but likely only contributes to the IR mode.

I compared screwing the tailcap and the charge cap off, the tail cap closes significantly harder. Although I don’t assume the charge cap will come loose by itself it makes me want to squeeze it down just in case when I’d bring it out in the rain. A friend of mine has a D10, I can compare it in the near future to see if its different.

Sorry Fred...… EHL0628

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/49717

As long as this has no funky pwm I'm in for a couple .

So glad to see a real budget brand get innovative .The EHL0628 is one of my most reached for lights this year .