headlamps for starters?

The best value for money on quality headlamps nowadays are:

- Thrunite TH10

- Jetbeam HC20

- Crelant CH10

• Xtar H2

That said, I agree that for a first entry in the niche, a simple generic 3xAAA might be OK to evaluate how convenient is the use of an headlamp. I used to rely on an Energizer cheapo that had 2x cold white 5mm leds behind a plastic optic and a red 5mm led as a secondary lower mode. It sucked, but worked.

I’ve had one of these for a few years and it’s working great.

I would consider it as a headlamp equivalent to the SK68

well, that`s definitely not clear from reading the OP. He asks about a starters headlamp, and without any more details, so being BLF, I think its fair to give him some budget options.

if he says it needs to be reliable, it need to have such and such features,runtime, for this and that purpose it would be clearer. But in my mind a Starters headlamp similar to a Sipik is not Zebralight....

Having a Fenix LD12, I hope it hold this well by clipping through pocket clip. I believe this is designed for convoy S2 and the LD12 is at least 2.1cm in diameter.
Maybe I could try this.
Mind explaining why this “flashlight on the side” configuration is bad? Is it the glare that shines on your face? Or mostly just plain lopsided comfort?

wowow
I might even spend on this than the trustfire z2
This is ridiculously sexy for a $10 light

I guess ChibiM understands me. I am not really planning to buy a headlamp to rely on. I’m just more of a greedy/trying things out stage.
Comfort is not a priority as I am curious with what “being handsfree” with a headlamp feels.

I really appreciate all the input to what you all has to offer. I never even considered comfort in my list until today.