Hello and few questions on Li-ion cells (batteries?)

Hey all, I’m new to this forum, well I’ve been lurking for a few months since I wanted a decent headlamp cause I’ve had it with the 10euro energizer headlamps. After a lot of reading here and dumb luck I orderd a skilhunt H02 NW for 28euro’s (flashdeal), also ordered 4 protected 3400mAh Panasonic NCR18650B (I hope they fit) and an XTAR VC-2. I think this will be a nice starter pack.

I’ve been reading a lot on how to take care for the cells and one is: “don’t over-charge them.” OK fair enough but what do I have to do in case I have an over-charged cell? Do I just give it in the recycle shop (ready to blow?)? Or is there a safe way to discharge it without it venting.

2nd:“Don’t over-discharge cells” I kinda understand what happens with the cells if this happens but Xtar claims the VC2 can revive overdischarged cells. Is this just a sales gimmick? If a cell is under 2.5V can I still saftly put in the charger an use it after charging in my headlamp? I mean it’s, on my freaking head….

I understand I have protected cells and a “decent” charger and chances of this happening is very low, but I’m asking just in case. I might want to use some naked cells later on and want to be ready when something like this happens.

Thx in advance and
Greetz from Belgium

Hi and welcome dekozn. This thread by HKJ should answer your questions.

Thx for the link but doesn’t really say what I have to do with an overcharged cell, if I can somehow safly discharge it before use or bringing it in for recycling.

Sorry. :blush:
Try this one from HKJ. It may answer your question.

Welcome dekozn, that Skilhunt H02 is a great light.

The only time it is safe the recover a cell with about 0 volt is when the reason is a tripped protection.

The xtar overdischarge revive feature is referring to protected cells only, because these trip an internal circuit causing them to read 0 volts when they reach the target low voltage point and must be reset.

Welcome to BLF!

Thx for the welcome and replies…