Hello from South Africa

Greetings from South Africa. :slight_smile:

Some of my interests include hiking and camping, music, computers and playing the cello. I’m an EE engineer and I usuaully do not buy anything without conducting thorough investigation and proper research, so I figured it would be a good idea to join this helpful community. Thus far I’ve enjoyed some really excellent technical reviews by HKJ about some chargers that I’m interested in.

Although I’ve known about nice flashlights for quite some time I haven’t ever really invested my interest in this hobby until now. Which is unfortunate timing because currently I don’t have a great budget for some nice investments. I don’t really have any great flashlights by todays standards, just a couple of Petzl headlamps, a 9 year old CMG Infinity Ultra which I still use most nights in the house, and one of those cheap zoomable$4 “Cree Q5” flashlights which I bought recently, which is actually quite usable on a 14500 (anyone know the real lumen output so that I can compare?). This made me become interested in this field again. The first time I became interested in flashlights was when my brother gave me a Romisen RC-G2 back in 2010, unfortunately I lost it soon after, and being a poor student at the time I couldn’t afford any replacements. Some of my relatives have for example the Sky Ray King and Led Lenser X21.2 so I am aware that there is some nice things out there.

I look forward to using this forum and other members’ experiences as a great resource. Cheers!

Welcome ! !

Hi and welcome snorbaard. I gather others around you have trouble sleeping?

Welcome. I’ve also been a “lurker” here for a couple of months and learnt a lot from many experienced/clever people on this forum. I initially made the mistake of buying the cheapest I could find (and believing the Seller specifications), but soon learnt to rather do a bit of research. It is worth paying a bit more and getting something people here recommend. I also started with a few of the obligatory SK68 clones. Now I have about 6 Convoys, Acebeam K40M (occasionally appears on special about $80), Supfire M6, Securitying Sky Ray King (quite a good one) & SK98, Skilhunt H02 (great), couple of Hugsbys etc. Also waiting for a couple of the groupbuy Manker A6. Hope they survive the ravages of our postal system…. My budget also suffers a bit at 14 Rands to the dollar!

Welcome! :bigsmile:

Yes, unfortunately the dollar exchange is not kind to us at the mo….

You will definitely spend a few rand if you spend time here… :wink:

Glad to see the SAfricans trickling in….

Cheers

Thanks for stopping by, snorbaard!

Thank you!

Or am I the one who should be sleeping instead of lurking around the house at night? :wink:

Hi another South African, I see theres a few of us here, perhaps in part due to loadshedding? I agree, I’ve bought quite a number of electronics off ebay and AliExpress etc. and boy those Chinese specs are anything but reliable. Not that you would expect anything else. Alright so the flashlight that I recently got is a SK68 clone, now I know :slight_smile: Bought from TomTop on AE and it came within 3 weeks, and for the price paid it is a really nice flashlight with a good tint and variable throw. Read somewhere on BLF it seems it could be ~80/160 lumens on nimh/14500 although I wouldn’t be surprised if it differed between units. I have a couple of Hugsby’s on order as well.

Regarding our postal system and the hiccups we had, this is my experience. Until last year about 3 out of 150 items never arrived. Some items that I ordered in January 2015 took as long as 6 months to deliver, I know some people who waited even longer for items that were bought I believe in August~October last year. But my recent experience has been that items ordered since May 2015 delivered within the usual ~4 weeks. BUT I am slightly concerned again, I placed 3 orders from different sellers on 18 July and received the one order after 3 weeks but I am still waiting for the other 2 (edit: got one more today after 7 weeks). So I’m wondering if there is something going on again with the postal system.

Hi Flitsmal, glad to see another Afrikaans speaker around here :slight_smile: Yes, the rand is so weak at the moment and it doesn’t appear to change any time soon does it. :_(

Welcome to BLF. That RC-G2 with the old XR-E led is still one of my better loved lights :-)

Hi!

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Welcome!! Some advice I’ve received…. Run! Okay that probably won’t happen. But keep your purchases to what you need. A small everyday carry, maybe a affordable c8 style thrower, keychain or penlight. Everyone here is kind and knowledgeable. I’m sure they can help you find or build something within your means.

Looks like I may be able to bounce some electronics questions off of you as well! Again welcome!

Nice Introduction. Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome. Thus far the forumites have been helpful and friendly.

I remember when I first got it I couldn’t believe my eyes… I loved to show off with it. Every time I switched it on I couldn’t believe how much light came from a single AA :bigsmile: I believe mine was modded with a forward clicky, which I really liked.

Thanks! Yeah… not gonna happen, I’m already spending so much time on the forum reading and gathering info. As mentioned before the RC-G2 left quite an impression on me years ago, so I have a fondness for bright little throwers. As a matter of fact, my next order will be a EDC AAA flashlight. :wink:

I have exactly the same preference, unfortunately bright little throwers are very scarce. Anything that throws is at least 18650 size and people tend not to care about size as long as it throws. A RC-G2 format flashlight with a smooth reflector and modern led (i.e. XP-E2 torch) is not available. I have made a few dedomed XP-E2 zoomies with the Cofly KX FH10 (AA-size with larger lens than the sk68) that throw 50kcd, but I would love a reflector version of that. Look out for the new X6/K6 group buy, it is a combined offer, but the AA-sized K6 (is being developed now for BLF) should have decent throw (and great quality!).

Very interesting, I will take a look. With regards to the RC-G2, the smooth reflector is what gave it a nice spot beam right?

I agree with your size requirements. For me, something like a Ultrafire C8 is too big/bulky, the biggest flashlight that I would accept at the moment would be something shaped more like the Ultrafire WF-501B or smaller (for long distance throwing, not EDC of course.). I also just heard about the BLF A6 but it is a floody flashlight right? Ahhh I’ve been on the forum for hours and I still feel clueless :smiley:

The BLF A6 is great but very floody. But you should join the LuckySun D80 group buy. It is a 18650 light that is considerably more compact than a C8 and still a serious little thrower.

Now thats what I’m talking about! :smiley: