Help a newbie pick two duty carbine lights

Hello,
I have been following this forum for about a month and am amazed at the knowledge of the members and the complexity and variety of lights discussed. I am looking to outfit 2 duty carbines with new lights. I am used to standard issue surefire lights. I had looked and read alot and decided on the nitecore p25 and mh26. I would like lights that are rechargeable, have enough flood to clear rooms and enough throw to incapacitate. Price is not predominant issue more quality, battery life and output. And lighter and smaller profile would be good. Also must fit 1” 1913 mount. I really appreciate any advice and would love consensus on specific lights to purchase.
Thanks
Cameran

Hi cam, if your used to surefire lights then solarforce produce hosts that would be very familiar.

I’m not personally a p60 fan, so I will let someone else recommend an exact drop in and particular host. Also will you want a tape switch or tail switch and what is your cell preference?

I have a Solarforce L2P on my shotgun, and a custom Solarforce L2m aspheric on my AR. If I would do it all over again, I would certainly go with the Convoy M1 from Fasttech (insane value) for my shotgun. It all depends on what modes and mode switching you want though. Both of my lights are single mode.

I have a P25 Smilodon on my Bushmaster shorty and love it. Clamped to a Daniel Defense quad forearm.

I think you would be very pleased with the quality of the MT26 on your weapon.

I like the L2P, but not as much as the L2N & L2T …. With a solarforce XML 880 lumen drop in. it should do the trick…

I went with the Solarforce and a single mode 3 amp XM-l. Stay away from pressure switches they fail on a regular basis and are the #one replacement items on Surefire mounts. Pressure switches might have been good when current was low but now at higher amperage they fail regularly. Most pressure switches are two wires or small plates being pressed together. Check for heavy springs on either end of the battery to keep recoil from bashing the electronics. Also a strip of a thin rubber band placed beween the rings and flashlight body stops all movement in the mount. I prefer using a pistol grip next to the tail switch this keeps the light on the opposite side from my eyes and close to the thumb.

So,
After continuing my research on here I am interested in the convoy lights. They seem to be very popular. I want as few modes as possible and 1 for throw and 1 for flood. I have no idea what all the acronyms stand for. Should I get 1 m1 and 1 m2. I think I want both to be 18650 powered. Also looked at fasttech and there are many manufacturers of 18650’s and different current draws. Which convoy lights, and which 18650’s do I need. Thanks guys, and I will stay away from the pressure switches as advised.
Thanks
Cam

The convoys are an excellent choice, I actually have an m2 host (no electronics, I add my own depending on requirements) inbound to assemble

For a gun light, unless you want the strobe, I would consider using this board

http://intl-outdoor.com/amc71358-1mode-circuit-board-nanjg-105c-p-643.html

And “pot” it into the pill ( you fill up the available space with thermal adhesive to prevent component movement under recoil.

If you think you would want a strobe and low mode, I would use this driver and solder the appropriate star for your requirements.

http://intl-outdoor.com/amc71358-5mode-circuit-board-nanjg-105c-304a-p-667.html

Again I would pot this into the pill for reliability. The convoy lights are very good, but in your situation I feel it would be better to tailor the driver to your specific requirements. The nice thing about the second driver is that due to how the memory works, once the light has been on for a few seconds, it requires a double tap on the switch to shift modes.

If all this sounds a bit scary, there are plenty of members stateside who I am sure would be happy to build such a light for you.

I am totally willing to go the custom route, but don’t even know what to ask for other than only low and high mode and an aggressive bezel 1 with really good flood that will illuminate a room and 1 that could be used to locate targets at a distance.
It would be cool to own something someone built for me and from what I gather a light with top tier specs can be much more cost effective if it is custom built.
Anxiously awaiting a response,
Cam

The second board I linked has 4 mode group options

Low mid hi strobe sos
Low hi strobe
Low mid hi
Low hi

There are four stars and the appropriate star is connected to the outer ground ring.

There are also a few who could custom program a driver to make mode switching more appropriate to a gun light, for example four or more fast clicks to change mode, then you always get what you want. I would suggest an m1 or m2 for your flooder and a c8 for your thrower (not sure if the c8 head diameter is compatible with the 1913 mount). You can also use different leds to give more throw/flood in a given host ie xm-l/l2 for your flooder/max brightness xp-g2 for your flooder as an example.

Members relic38 and Tom E would both be worth dropping a pm about a custom build/programned driver, they are both stateside.

They will also have favorite set ups that may match your criteria, just message them and link tjisthread then their up to speed. :slight_smile:

There is another host I have assembled that would make an excellent flood solution for you.

Its more expensive than the convoy hosts but is of extremely high quality.